Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Gold sport of Frances Williams...how do I

I cleaned the roots and had to split this sport as it was sitting in water and awaiting planting. In the meantime, as I'd hoped, it grew more eyes (3 of them!) as you can see from pic.

Do I plant it (potted) with eyes below or above soil? A couple of small roots, at the top of crown were and are still sort of shooting upwards. Do I gently lead them into soil...and will they stay put?

Any advice will be appreciated, thank you.
Jo

Comments (4)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i hope its taped ...

pips at the soil line

roots below..

forget about the few weirdos ...

dont leave it in water too long.. especially if its outside and the water is getting hot...

just do it

ken

ps: little to hot to throw it on the driveway.. perhaps just walk it up and down the drive.... just to insure.. it knows who is in charge .. lol

pps: it has a couple names... which are escaping me now ... its in the schmid tome if nowhere else...

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I can tell you something about that hosta,Jo. It is called Golden Sunburst. I have one,and one thing you should know about that particular hosta is;the same dessication that Frances Williams gets is multiplied in this plant. I.E. being all gold,it can't take near the sun that FW takes. Plant it in the deepest shade you have,or it will burn really bad. I have one,but it didn't exactly sport;it just kept getting more gold every year,and then one year,it just came up all gold Just for your info. Phil

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi...there you are, Ken! nice to hear from you...
    LOL....actually, this is the same one I had on that 'blacktop' so I scared it into growing more pips, I guess!!!! It got the driveway threat alright!

Yes, it is taped, no worries, Guru

No, it wasn't outside...been changing water daily

Did some research re FW sports but haven't reached conclusion re name...will wait until pips appear, or better still, until it comes up next year.

You referring to anything relating to Tom Schmid as in same named hosta? Thanks for the thought and don't forget to let me know if you remember names.

Well, it's 89F out there...here as of 8:30 ...was puttering around, ground watering hibiscus and a few potted hosta....can't stand humidity...

You know, I've come to the conclusion that I won't have too many hosta in pots....worrying about them drying out, moving them around so they don't expire in the sun, etc,....it takes a certain kind of discipline....like potty training toddlers.....you have to train yourself to remember!!! I respect and admire all the 'potheads' and your diligence and commitment to your potted hosta.

I'm not using the excuse (but its a good one) that I don't have space, which I don't....it's the intense heat/humidity that curtails my gardening for certain time segments throughout summer, much to my dismay and all tHat hand watering would kill my back.

Speaking of sore back....reminds me when my family grew vegetables for a living for over 20 years. My Dad used to drive down to the Ontario Food Terminal around 4:30 a.m. With a full refrigerated truck or two of prime veggies. He also supplied various fresh food markets in Toronto. I remember being out there on the fields, rain or shine, hot or cold, freezing or frying in the sun, weeding, thinning, cutting, packing, pulling, bunching..crops such as radishes, kohlrabi, head lettuce, romaine, celery, cucumbers used for Willy's Pickles, carrots, onions, onions for seed (that was nasty and hot as plants were taller than we were and temps around 100) and other veggies I'm sure I've forgotten....I was used to being exposed to the elements. Now that I'm older I just can't tolerate it half as well. I've learned to accept it and that's saying a lot, considering my personality! I'm one of those pessimistically optimistic independent kinds and stubborn to boot....where there is a will, there's a way. Even though I am a new senior citizen, I am a youngish one and still have lots of zip, can run and play with my grand kids, am on no medication and am able to still lift, lug, dig etc. I consider myself among the fortunate .... maybe good genes have a play too.
    So bad back or not, I shouldn't complain.

All this because of the weather...apologies but thanks for listening to me go on...lol

There are a couple of cooler days coming...low 20's...good time to hunker down and git things done!!

Have a great day, Everyone!!! And a great week-end!
    Keep cool, take it slow and remember to hydrate...Long Island Iced Tea would go good right now! Or Jack D. n coke, or Scotch, nice cold beer with condensation running down the side of the bottle....visualization required here....you get the drift...hehehehehee.

Jo

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Phil! Oh, I'm so happy to hear that! Golden Sunburst is a great name for a hosta...I remember seeing a pic of it in my browsing and possibly someone posted a pic when I first introduced it on a previous post.

Your information comes at a perfect time...I was going to pot it up and put it in SOME shade, but I was also going to give it more sun, relating that to golds that can withstand more sun. I know now exactly where it will go...about the only place it can go around here but shade nonetheless. Just about enough room for her AND right in the ground....the cooler the roots, the better.

Thanks so much, Phil for the great advice!
    Jo

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz