Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahosta

Seedlings

hostahosta
9 years ago

After reading Irawons post about OP seedlings I thought I'd share what I've been doing with some of mine. I started seeing seedlings in my garden last year, they seem to all be blue/green. I've been experimenting with planting them in odd locations, like downed tree stumps. If they make it great, if they don't I'm not out an expensive hosta.

This first one I planted last year, so it made it over the very cold winter just fine. There wasn't much space to plant into, just stuffed in some planting media and compost. I imagine the wood holds on to moisture and as the wood decomposes, the hosta roots are finding a place to be.

Comments (12)

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had a bunch of logs from when the electric company insisted on downing an old pine tree near my lake. Hollowed out a hole in the top of this one and in went a seedling. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love to use natural things to landscape. Because its all free! Here is a shot of on aold tree stump, logs, stones. Love the mossy look to it all. Some seedlings in there too.

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Why not use up those logs to pretty them up even more with seedlings! Good idea. And if they take off, imagine how nice it'll look in a couple of years. Hmmmm....now I have to go hunting my property for chunks of old wood and mossy stones......

Don't you just ADORE this Mud Maid - it's in the Lost Gardens of Heligan in the UK. A few hostas here and there and, perfection!

• hostacats
    9 years ago

I love your ideas with seedlings. I can't do this at home not enough room or old trees....but.....makes me think about the lake, lots of opportunities there!!

• hostahosta
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just looked up the Lost Gardens. Wow, a place I would love to visit. How the heck do they do that?

• frogged
    9 years ago

This is the first year I have found seedlings, they are nothing fancy but Iam going to transplant them anyway.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Some of my seedlings from last season and never moved them yet. Not any mother plant near and basically were under a Patriot that is suppose to be a sterile plant, I was told. Just green but growing

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

These seedlings are under a 2nd season Blue Mammoth where I stuck the whole seed pod last fall. More on the other plants too but I think they are plain green so far.Tiny but growing

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I have an 'Elegans' spreading seeds. Here are those fast growing blue seedlings on the left crowding out trays of other hybrid seedlings and recently bought plants. The trays stand on a pebble walkway. Bernd

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Wow almost hooked and frogger.......those tiny seedlings are cute. I probably have some, but as soon as I see green coming up I assume its a weed and pull it out. The one picture of froggers could be looked at as weeds if your not careful. Man maybe Ive been pulling out too soon. I will try and not pull out and put the dried scape in the ground under the plant too. Try and remember to leave little plants alone for awhile.

Michelle

• irawon
    9 years ago

Allmosthooked, I've had seedlings , which started out green become more blue with age. So those green seedlings under BM may become bluer with age because the wax producing the blue thickens with age.

• irawon
    9 years ago

Hostahosta, nice ways to use natural elements to display your hostas. Please let us know how your seedling in the stump overwinters. You're up one zone from me.