Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedlings

Posted by hostahosta Z6OH (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 9:26

After reading Irawons post about OP seedlings I thought I'd share what I've been doing with some of mine. I started seeing seedlings in my garden last year, they seem to all be blue/green. I've been experimenting with planting them in odd locations, like downed tree stumps. If they make it great, if they don't I'm not out an expensive hosta.

This first one I planted last year, so it made it over the very cold winter just fine. There wasn't much space to plant into, just stuffed in some planting media and compost. I imagine the wood holds on to moisture and as the wood decomposes, the hosta roots are finding a place to be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedlings

I had a bunch of logs from when the electric company insisted on downing an old pine tree near my lake. Hollowed out a hole in the top of this one and in went a seedling. It will be interesting to see what happens.

o

I love to use natural things to landscape. Because its all free! Here is a shot of on aold tree stump, logs, stones. Love the mossy look to it all. Some seedlings in there too.

o

Why not use up those logs to pretty them up even more with seedlings! Good idea. And if they take off, imagine how nice it'll look in a couple of years. Hmmmm....now I have to go hunting my property for chunks of old wood and mossy stones......

Don't you just ADORE this Mud Maid - it's in the Lost Gardens of Heligan in the UK. A few hostas here and there and, perfection!

o

I love your ideas with seedlings. I can't do this at home not enough room or old trees....but.....makes me think about the lake, lots of opportunities there!!

o

Just looked up the Lost Gardens. Wow, a place I would love to visit. How the heck do they do that?

o

This is the first year I have found seedlings, they are nothing fancy but Iam going to transplant them anyway.
 photo P1000388.jpg
 photo P1000387.jpg
 photo P1000399.jpg

o

Some of my seedlings from last season and never moved them yet. Not any mother plant near and basically were under a Patriot that is suppose to be a sterile plant, I was told. Just green but growing

o

These seedlings are under a 2nd season Blue Mammoth where I stuck the whole seed pod last fall. More on the other plants too but I think they are plain green so far.Tiny but growing

o

I have an 'Elegans' spreading seeds. Here are those fast growing blue seedlings on the left crowding out trays of other hybrid seedlings and recently bought plants. The trays stand on a pebble walkway. Bernd

o

Wow almost hooked and frogger.......those tiny seedlings are cute. I probably have some, but as soon as I see green coming up I assume its a weed and pull it out. The one picture of froggers could be looked at as weeds if your not careful. Man maybe Ive been pulling out too soon. I will try and not pull out and put the dried scape in the ground under the plant too. Try and remember to leave little plants alone for awhile.

Michelle

o

Allmosthooked, I've had seedlings , which started out green become more blue with age. So those green seedlings under BM may become bluer with age because the wax producing the blue thickens with age.

o

Hostahosta, nice ways to use natural elements to display your hostas. Please let us know how your seedling in the stump overwinters. You're up one zone from me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here