Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostacats

how long hosta collecting??

hostacats
9 years ago

Just a quick hello and to find out how long you've had the hosta fever.........and how far has your collection gone, like how many??

I've only had the hosta fever for about five years. Started off with just a few plants, but now that's all I can think about!! Even though the dreaded HVX has found me!!

Michelle

Comments (21)

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

20-850ish

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

15yrs-100ish (in pots, very limited space)

-Babka

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

13 years, about 75

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

5 years - about 80. (in pots, limited space)

bk

• newhostaaddict
    9 years ago

about 20 before 2005
    about 550 since
    but I am TOTALLY in control
    jill

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

We started collecting in 2009 and now have ~600 varieties.
    My husband and I both have this hosta addiction.
    Vanessa

• Jagd51
    9 years ago

Started in 2009, but since my husband is not a hostaholic I'm not progressing at the same rate as Vanessa and her husband, but somewhere close to half that.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Fall of 2011 with a small amount I thought was all I needed from Myrle and bought a couple , then Hosta Choice had a fall sale of mature divisions and has been down( or up) hill since. 200 plus ,( plus maybe another 200 or so ) need to take it slower now because some plants are in their 3rd yr and are touching or crowding each other. I have built so many LAST BEDS that it is getting hard to find more space to remove any more lawns

• Eleven
    9 years ago

The house came with about 12 in 2008.

Like a couple others here, I started collecting in 2009! I've added almost 140. Sadly, I can't blame any of them on my husband. On the bright side, I still have lawn and undeveloped yard to invade. I'm also buying more companion plants these days.

• User
    9 years ago

heh heh heh.....My first order was about 6-8 in spring 2010. For the garden up in MA, planted by my DH. When I saw Mama plantaginea in bloom late that summer, I fell in love. But in 2011 I ordered some dormant ones to be delivered in the fall. Then some over the winter to be delivered in spring 2012. Once 2012 arrived, I was totally hooked and my count exceeded 200 that year.....Sparkler was my #200 UNIQUE hosta. Now I have over 500 and there must be a hole in the dyke because I'm getting drowned in hosta here.

What a lovely way to go! Heart of my garden in morning light.

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

5 years
    300+

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

5 years
    37 - limited space

In another time (20 yrs ago) and another space (my old house), I probably would be a collector.

DD

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I am 4-5 years in with about 60 types I think.. I have most of my prime areas full.. without turning the grass over :P

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

before 2012 about 20ish
    Now: 257 and counting.

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh, I'm not the only crazy one then....lol. I only started maybe 5 years ago with a few and then kept buying, I had over 300 last year, but I ended up getting sick and didn't water very often. I have a bed under pine trees and most of them didn't make it last year, so I have around 250ish right now. And yes feeling better and watering more. I have to keep moving things around as they get bigger they start crowding each other out.
    I am new and wasn't aware of the dreaded virus which I recently found, so I am watching very closely now.
    I am NOT done with collecting as I keep finding new ones that I don't have. The only thing is my dappled shade and shade areas are all taken up, I'm TRYING to figure things out with more sun.
    Wow, to Babka, bk, and moccasinlanding having that many hostas in plants, I can only imagine it takes you a long time to water, but then again can't be any worse than what we have to do. Love the spansih moss is it??? In the photo??
    I can't wait to have mature plants....most of mine are still immature.
    LOVE the forum already!!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I started in 1987 and by 2009 had about 300 of 35 varieties. Since then I increased to 350 total of 220 varieties. Since I will not dig up more lawn, there will not be more than 350, though of more varieties possibly. I also grow hostas from seed over winter, so there I can create my own varieties. Bernd

• User
    9 years ago

Hostacats, you are not crazy, you are "fully enabled." You have come to the right place for folks like yourself. :)

It is spanish moss hanging from camellia bushes/trees that are about 60 years old.

My bluebird babies fledged on June 30, thank heaven. They made it out of the nest before it got super hot. I was watering every day in the area of the nestbox, to keep them from dying before they could fledge. I think it was three came out this time. The birds love the hosta garden too.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Great pic, Mocc. Your collection is becoming stupendous!

Hi, Michelle, welcome to the forum. I had 3 or 4 hostas I got in 2009 or so, really got hooked in 2012. I have about 175 now. I'm also a little low on space. Time to invade the lawn and make another flowerbed. : )

Don B.

• garyz6ohio
    9 years ago

around 15yrs. - 600+

Welcome to the forum Michelle.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

moc make the rows tighter. i think you can squeeze in another [row]!

beautimous

re: query
    oh since before 1990 ⦠450-700 (space issues)

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, I love the fact that all you guys are "fully enabled" like I am. People around here when I tell them I have over 250 look at me like I'm insane.....ummmm yes!! I'm an addict and told one lady that one day when she says to me "we're a little addicted aren't we?" You bet is all I said. Even the green houses look at you strange. They haven't been on the hosta forum and found you guys with many many more than me!!
    As I stated before I will find room for more, too many kinds out there!!

Michelle