Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
City Lights

Posted by tropic_lover 6UT (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 9:37

I bought this hosta two years ago. It was in a small 4" pot and spent the 1st winter in the pot as I never got around to planting it. I planted it last August and it sure has grown a lot. I can't wait for this one to get bigger! It sure does light up the garden! It gets quite a bit of sun and doesn't seem to mind at all.

I would love to see pictures of what lights up your garden!

Thanks for looking!
Linda ;-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Group shot

Here is another picture of it and it's neighbors.

o
RE: City Lights

Great color there tropic lover. I have the City Lights also but is only in it's first full year. Looks like the texture and color will change as it matures.

Prairie Moon (also first full year) has similar color but I think will retain that soft lemony color as it matures.

City Lights
 photo IMG_3607.jpg

Prairie Moon
Prairie Moon photo IMG_3623.jpg

o

You gotta love those golds which light up the corner where they are. :)

I must add City Lights to my gold wish list, yes indeed. That smooth margin is so even and steady. It is not "in your face" like the ruffles and variegated plants can be.

In that respect, I have several golds that light my fire.
King Tut is one of them.
20140712_175833

Fat Cat arrived this spring with King Tut. Another smoothie
DSCN0631

Sweet Sunshine
DSCN0622

Aspen Gold is so dependable but not a shiny leaf yet lights up its seat in the bleachers
DSCN0584

Delta Desire with a slight green look in the middle
DSCN0326

Princess Anastasia has green margins to outline the gold leaf. I now have three of these.
DSCN0341

Johnny Angel and Sea Gulf Stream hold down an important part of my garden, and I've placed them where they can be admired. Wow, they started out looking beautiful and here it is mid July and they are still going strong.
DSCN0414

I love the gold hosta.

o

Old-Dirt, Thanks for sharing your City Lights. I believe this one will get more rugose as it matures and should be pretty large too. I also like your Prairie Moon.

Mocc- Thanks for sharing all your beautiful golds. I am very interested in which ones you are growing in the sun. I already have added Squash Casserole to my list based on your good luck with it in the sun. I don't live as far south as you but it is very hot here in the summer, supposed to be 100 tomorrow and has been in the upper 90's for weeks now. I live at a much higher altitude and the sun is strong here. I am impressed at how City Lights is doing with quite a bit of sun. I have a Paul's Glory just a few feet away and it is not quite as happy.

I love that Fat Cat and Johnny Angel. I am always looking to add more gold to the garden. Thanks for sharing!

Linda :-)

o

Late season golden gate. It's lutescent and takes Sun big time.

o

HH, you are killing me with these beautiful golds that take sun! My weakness is gold with a touch of a green margin.....other than fragrant any colors. :)

Of course, Golden Gate is an Olga!

o

• Posted by mbug 6 NJ (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 22:29

Birchwood Parky's Gold
 photo fc606988-f309-44e1-b854-adcb6091061e.jpg

Saint Elmo's Fire
 photo SaintElmosFire.jpg

Stained Glass
 photo 401bd4ac-cc9e-480c-8381-467cb21f9198.jpg

All shinning bright!

o

Oh! MBug, I never realized how fine Birchwood Parky's Gold could look. And Stained Glass with the rugose dark green of something like LS Lollipop or Clear Fork River Valley....the contrast is wonderful.

Then, also in that last picture above, down in left corner the three leaves look like Fragrant Fire, which blend beautifully with the dark rugose green hosta.

Beautiful layout there.

o

The two that light up the most for me would be

Dandy Lion
20140527_102314.jpg

and The Shining
20140525_094617.jpg

She got a little hail damage this year, but she's still lighting up the area.

I think Dancing Queen will, too, when she get's a bit more growth on her. She's already drawing my eye
20140508_085111.jpg

o

• Posted by mbug 10 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 23:10

Moc....I have two Birchwood Parky's Gold. They get a good bit of sun and get brighter and brighter. Like them a lot.
To the Left of Stained Glass is Dee Blue Sea....they are crowding each other out but I love the way they look together and don't want change it and am leary about dividing either. Peaking in is a big Dianna Remembered.
Thanks for the comments.

o

Well, Deep Blue Sea is impressive, and works very well with golds and other greens too. I had no idea that Diana Remembered could be that color green. I'll have to look at mine again.

I think BKay said she liked BW Parky's Gold, and now I see why. Your photo shows a splendid plant.

o

Mbug- Your BW Parky's Gold is really bright and pretty. How much sun is it getting? I just bought a Deep Blue Sea and planted it behind my City Lights. I love your Stained Glass too. I need to get one of those for sure!

Funn- Love Dandy Lion... LOL, I would buy that one just for name. I also have Dancing Queen and I love it. She lights up the garden in the spring, not so much now.

Hostahillbilly- That is a very nice Golden Gate. I have not seen that one before. Thanks for sharing!

Linda ;-)

o

Jimmy Crack Corn lights up this very shady spot. A touch of morning sun, that's it.

o

City Lights
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here