Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepie_gw

Looking for advice on sporting

maggiepie_gw
9 years ago

This is a seedling I grew from seeds I obtained from Ontario Hosta Society 4 or 5 years ago.
It is one of my favourite hostas but it looks to be getting some all green leaves.
As most of the leaves are different to each other, I don't know if this is more of the same or if it is reverting back to a green ancestor.
So, is it better to chop off the green leaves or leave it?

Comments (3)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Follow the all green leaves down and see if they are all one eye, they probably are. I would definitely separate it off, you don't want your whole plant changing to a greenie and it will, if left to it's own devices.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

your words are wrong...

you have a streaked mother plant...

you should always take the seed off it.. as it will give streaked babes ...

all streakers.. will eventually SETTLE OUT ... usually into a center.. or edged plant.. and that is why they are used as mother plant.s. looking for something new ...

as a cross of two parent.. new mixed dna.. it can not be reverting to a parent.. is just going green ...

let me put it this way.. as an example.. your streaker might be worth $100 ... the green... fitty cents.. and... given a decade.. the green will out compete and kill the $100 plant...

get rid of the green ... dig up the plant.. and remove it.. replant momma ...

if you knew the actual cross.. we might be able to see.. if the green has potential.. e.g. if one parent was empress wu ... it might turn out very interesting...

but if you were just given a pack of un named seed... we can presume it wasnt any great cross ... or maybe jsut OP seeds on a streaked plant ...

if you need an extra green plant.. plant it .. and see what happens.. but dont go naming it.. we really dont need another green hosta... just because maggie found it.. eh???

ken

• maggiepie_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Funnthsun, thanks for the reply.

@Ken, thanks for detailed explanation. I had a feeling my wordage was wrong but didn't know how else to put it.
    Can you tell me what exactly a streaked mother is and why it is different from other streaked plants, or are all streaked plants mothers?

The seeds from OHS, were labelled small streaked hostas.

Btw, the plant looks like it is about to send up a flower stem, is digging up the plant now likely to abort the stem?

The mostly green leaves still have tiny bits of streaks except for one which is totally green.

Oh, I am Australian Canadian so maybe the eh should be g'd eh? :-)