Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckyladyslipper

Perfect place for Earth Angel, except...

luckyladyslipper
9 years ago

for the rock. Boulder? The pitchfork and trowel mark the two edges I have found. The rest of the rock is under living plants, and I have no idea how large it is.

How much of my garden should I decimate to plant her? On the one hand, she's a lot more important (and expensive) than the shallow-rooted, self-seeded aquilegia and bleeding hearts. On the other, it's so hot and humid...

I'm a wimp; and frankly, getting a bit too old for this. But the photos of other people's gardens make me want to shoot a little higher in my gardening aspirations.

Comments (13)

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Think positively. When you finally dig it up, you'll have a fine piece of garden art which will delight you through the ages..

Your torn muscles and ripped flesh will likely heal by the end of the summer.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Rocks are great finds! This one looks big. You probably will need some help moving it. I'd dig it out, plant your EA where you wanted it, and use the rock close by so I wouldn't have to move it far!

• Jon 6a SE MA
    9 years ago

You need a digging pole / bar to move that rock. It is a 6 to 6 1/2 foot long bar with chisel point at one end and a point and sometimes a 'mushroom' on the other end. Lowes has them here for $30 or so.

Nothing beats this for getting those big ones out. It is great for digging up roots and even good size tree trunks. Jam it under the rock and hang on the bar. Archimedes said 'Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can move the world'.

Once you leverage it out you can also move it anywhere nearby by simply wedging it over. It is a handy tool and you will be surprised at how many times you can use it. If you can see it move at all with the pitchfork, you can get it out with a digging pole.

Jon

• frogged
    9 years ago

I actually just did exactly this. Started to dig a hole to plant my new liberty and sure enough there is a huge rock, Two days one shovel, one wheel barrel full of dirt, one pry bar like Jon mentioned a steel fence post, a sledge hammer lots of sweet and the final trick help from Dad and the rock is out. Still need to fill hole and plant Liberty.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Nice rock, nice Liberty , big hole broken back but nice results in the end. Rock will look great where it is

• luckyladyslipper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really appreciate the tips and especially frog's photos. The most reassuring part of your photos, frogged, is that it appears you were working in the middle of an existing garden, too. I'm going to have to dig up and try to transplant quite a few plants to get at the rock, and possibly an azalea to have room to maneuver Archimedes' lever (I think there is one in the garage. Glad you mentioned it, Jon.)

Thanks one and all! Happy Fourth (gentle rain all day, here).

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

The rock got liberty
    Liberty gets rocked .... well, after about 5 years.. ;)

Give me Liberty !!!!! or at least an overly wide margin'd Sagae !

• User
    9 years ago

Slipper, the steel fence post is a very useful thing. If you do not have one, it is used to extend the length of the pry bar.....gives you more leverage. We called them "cheater pipes" when I worked on a boat and we chained down cargo. Slip it over the pry bar to make it longer. Work smarter not harder.

Go for it. Make some lemonade before you begin, you'll be glad you did.

• luckyladyslipper
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Got some young, strong help today (along with a crowbar), and out came the rock! Earth Angel is now lined up with a 6-year-old Guardian Angel. Maybe someday they'll be somewhere near the same size and balance out this part of the garden.

Thanks to all for the advice. Mocc - didn't need the extension bar this time; the rock was blessedly flat and Greg is blessedly strong. But, living in New England, I will likely need the extension pipe one of these days. Great idea. Thanks.

{{!gwi}}

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Luckyladyslipper, picture of rock and planted Earth Angel, please! :-) I just have to see this rock! Plus I just found out that my Magic Dragon is actually Earth Angel, so I'd like to see yours.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Wow frogged impressive rock!! Hope you keep it within your beds. Love rocks in my beds too but don't have any this huge.

Michelle

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

Your never too old - to get help!!!

DD

• User
    9 years ago

I note there was once a picture with the LuckyLadySlipper post above. Sure do need to see it, please. Sometimes these things get lost.

I am impressed by the hole you dug in the first place. That, done in the sort of rocky soil found in New England, I am amazed. Glad you had a strong back to step in and help.