Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

The uglies of spent bloom stalks

ryseryse_2004
9 years ago

I have several huge hosta beds and right now they are looking very raggety. They are in all stages of bloom and while I try to cut off the stalks that are going to seed, there are still hundreds that the bees are working on.

I can't cut those and it is frustrating because my property is on the market and the beds look awful. Still - these are honey bees and bumble bees (also humming birds) and I can't clean the bed until they are finished. sigh.

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

Maybe you could put some pots of bright flowers out for the bees and hummingbirds? I need to start cutting scapes soon as well, but there are many other plants the bees and hummingbirds and butterflies love - especially the liatris which is in full bloom right now.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

RyseRyse, you are to be commended for your dedication to the preservation of our bees. Some people can see beyond the appearance of a garden that may not present itself at 100%. Good luck with the sale!

Taking your hostas with you when you go....some? :-)

Jo

• User
    9 years ago

You're right Jo, we do need to help preserve them! I was so startled last year when there were NO monarch butterflies in my garden, and usually in late summer there were dozens as they started their migration south. I was very upset by this and started paying attention to the bees - I saw less of them as well.
    So this year I've used no pesticides or herbicides on my garden. I used vinegar to kill some weeds that were creeping up between bricks on my walkway and have been hand pulling (and pulling and pulling pulling...!) weeds from the ground all summer instead of using something to kill the weeds.
    I'm thankful to see a few more butterflies and bees already this summer, but I'm afraid it's a far-reaching problem beyond my yard. :(
    If they love hosta blooms, then yet another reason to love hostas. :)

9 years ago

Thistle, I am so glad you feel that way! If everyone did their part, even in a small way, we would be contributing to the good of all mankind. After all, where would we be without bees???

When I first started gardening many years ago, I was always drawn to the "English garden" concept...much like my mother's...where my love for gardening started. My back..and my front-mostly- gardens are that style, full and lush. If volunteers creep here and there, I leave them where they are happy...because the bees visit just about every flower here. I saw only one monarch so far this year, about a week ago..lots of little white ones.

Clipped off all dried hosta flower scapes today that did not produce seed pods. Those with pods will remain because I would love a bona fide seedling that came from an actual pod that I knew about. I think I'll leave a few stalks in a concentrated area for that.

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Although I have plenty of perennials that would be tasty for the bees, I hate to remove one which is obviously a favorite for them right now.

I also have the English Gardens and find them to be the easiest to care for and the most beautiful. To me they are more of what nature intends ---- not at all structured.

The hostas this year are so lovely because of our more than adequate rain and temperate days and nights. By this time last summer all of my hostas were fried (hot, hot, hot and very dry.)

• User
    9 years ago

I've been very concerned as well, about the bees and other pollinators. I loved the times when I was in Panama City Florida on "butterfly weekend", when thousands of the monarchs and some others too, arrived on the coast and launched out across the Gulf of Mexico for parts south. It was amazing to watch. And, when we were fishing offshore about a hundred miles, there they came, What an occasion!

This year I have more butterflies than in the last few years. I don't see honey bees so much though. I don't even kill the wasps which seem rather benign to me now, but as a kid struck terror in my heart.

Where was it my DH saw a picture of people in a field, in China, pollinating by hand? Can you imagine? I guess with so much pollution there, they are decimating the pollinators, as well as the plants they rely upon.

9 years ago

âÂÂA small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.âÂÂ

Amen!

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

This year the bees are loving my hibiscus. Sadly, the other day, I noticed a spider had spun a web in one of the bushes and it trapped a bee which couldn't free itself - so it died. The butterflies are few and far between. Moc, your lucky to have so many butterflies visiting your garden.

DD

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

While there is no shortage of bees on my property, the butterflies are another matter. Last year was the worst year of all ~ scarcely a one and NO Monarchs.

This year the butterflies are making a great comeback, but still not a single Monarch, despite putting in numerous new flowers including two nice big clusters of Butterfly Weed. :-(