Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
on_greenthumb

My Golden Meadows Doesn't Look like Yours

on_greenthumb
11 years ago

I was all excited and bought a Golden Meadows a few weeks ago. I grabbed one that looked really strong except after I got it home, I noticed that some of the leaves were quite different than the rest. It has 6 leaves, 3 which were "golden meadowy" and 3 of which were lighter without the ripples. It is a single eyed plant right now. I planted it...everything seemed fine until 2 days later, one of the GM leaves came off (that's when I took the pic, you can see on the left where that leaf came off). A few days later, same thing. And of course a few days later.....BANG....last one came off (pardon my momentary need for drama :P)

I see that this is a Elegans sport and it doesn't look like Elegans so I'm just wondering if you think these are immature leaves or what is happening?!?! First time that my hosta doesn't look like the one I was expecting.....

Comments (9)

• irawon
    11 years ago

Greenthumb, where did you buy your Golden Meadows? Are you sure your plant has only one eye? The reason I ask is that I googled GM to find that that GM is a sport of 'Elegans' which is a blue hosta,so the different looking leaves aren't a reversion. If you have more than one eye, then, perhaps you got two different hostas as GM. That's happened to me in the case of ferns. If your plant has only one eye, then perhaps the different leaves are more immature leaves. I know I received a Grand Canyon where some of the leaves were less rippled.

If you look at my Golden Meadows which hasn't completely unfurled you can see that some of the more immature leaves aren't rippled.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

It looks like a sport to me, but I'm no expert. I have one that is doing that and it looks like it's all one eye, too. I'm not sure what to do with it either.

bkay

• on_greenthumb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah - pretty sure it's only one eye. It's wrapped around itself actually, which is kind of weird in itself. I bought it from a local Hosta grower I went to a few weeks ago. I'm telling myself for now that they're just immature and I wouldn't even start to look to see if it's a sport until I have more than 3 leaves. I guess I'll just watch and wait. It just looks like everyone else's come up looking like GM, not like mine (don't get me wrong, it's pretty!!!) I'll try and get another picture tonight, or maybe tomorrow. The weird thing is that it looks like the GM leaves kind of rotted off (stems were kind of mushy where they came off) so maybe it's just gone back to a really immature version because of something that happened when they potted it up...I dunno. It's in my nursery bed with a few others so we'll see how it does.....I'm just totally confused.

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

so often is the case that the young 1 that doesn't look like a mature 1

• on_greenthumb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: The leaves are starting to darken up and are getting some ripple to them. I'm going to assume that this is just an immature plant and over time will come to see the beauty that is Golden Meadows.....I can't wait!

• on_greenthumb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update#2: Can anyone help me shed light on what might possibly be going on with that top leaf (12 oclock), just on the side there, there is a half moon dark spot. It's gotten much worse. I'll try to get another pic tonight, but was hoping someone can help me out with this.

Thanks, Pam

• newhostaaddict
    11 years ago

here is my "Golden Meadows",,,

it has been "shared" a few times,,,

a favorite of mine,,,

"Torchlight" is above it,,,and "Toy Soldier" below,,,

jill

• User
    11 years ago

This is my Golden Meadows yesterday. It is streaked green in the latest version of coloration. And the older leaves are even more green. But I'm liking the ruffled and seamed look, which is what I thought I'd get with Embroidery, which is not all that much stitched.

I think Hornbaker's sale has Embroidery and other specific hosta for $4.99 which is a big reduction from its $xx price tag just a year ago in most nurseries.

• newhostaaddict
    11 years ago

Golden Meadows joined my hosta family in 2006,,,
    here are a few pics of the early years,,,

9-11-2006

5-24-2007

and 6-6-2009

thanks for looking,,,jill