Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Creme dela Creme

paul_in_mn
9 years ago

Had one cream, was gifted another and soon had three.....Vanilla Cream(top) and sports Ice Cream (mid) and Wylde Green Cream (bot) which are reverse colors. All small and attractive. Vanilla Cream will get more golden as season goes on. MyHostas shows 40 hosta with Cream in name and 4 more as Creme... so a popular word in a hosta name.

Please add your pics and comments.

Paul

Comments (15)

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

You showed me something different, of course. Me likes!

DD

• Eleven
    9 years ago

I got both Wylde Green Cream and Ice Cream last year... somehow without realizing they are reverse sports. Funny how that works sometimes.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I have a Vanilla Cream :-)

Paul, in your own inimitable style, you have presented yet another lovely collage of creamy-dreamy hostas.

9 years ago

Re Wylde Green Cream - in your experience with it, do the margins take on wider green margins over time?

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo, seems most hosta in general as they mature, do gain a wider margin...my Wylde Green Cream was planted in 2012, so guessing still a year or so to go for mature leaves. May be a bit harder to tell with the variable width margin. Hope someone with more experience with WGC will weigh in on your question.

Paul

• irawon
    9 years ago

Nice trio, Paul. I got Wylde Green Cream first and then Ice Cream. Ice Cream is a faster grower for me but that may be because of tree roots competing with WGC. Now you've got me interested in the mother. Thanks for the history lesson on these three. I didn't know IC and WGC were related.

This post was edited by irawon on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 17:27

9 years ago

Thanks, Paul - it's the irregular margin that caught my attention.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

These look great, Paul. I don't have any of these, but being small, I have plenty of space in the front of the beds. Thanks for the pics.

Don B.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic from yesterday of Ice Cream...center has deepened from earlier pic and filling out.

Paul

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Paul, it seems you have a good selection of smalls. Those are really nice. Beware, I will be picking your brain this winter for choices for my spring shipments.

bk

• User
    9 years ago

Here is Wylde Green Cream, new from Sebright this year. It seems to be pretty tall. Holding on good here in Alabama.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Is it a small? That's the way it's listed in myhostas.be. That looks to be pretty large.

bk

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

Mocc, if that's new this year, what's growing in the pot? Looks like a seedling, but can't be if you just got it. Is it attached to the mother plant? Just curious, it's kind of uncommon to have a side-shoot like that when it was just shipped.

Paul, love those three, they would look excellent grouped together, if you are a blendy kind of guy. :) Yes, it's a real word!

• User
    9 years ago

Well, BK I thought it was pretty tall too. I'll just have to wait and see NEXT year if it comes back that big.

And Funn, another sport of Vanilla Creme, Ice Cream, is listed on the Rhizomatous Hosta list, and I think it entirely possible that there is a touch of the rhizomatous in this Wyle Green Cream too. I'll have to check with Don Rawson or HHillbilly to see, or maybe Pieter.

I thought today as I took this picture, with the petioles gathered up like that, I can see what's going on in the pot better. I've had the order from Sebright since late May 2014.
    I think there is a second eye behind the main plant, same size.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Vanilla Cream is a hybrid of 'Aden 456' x 'Little Aurora'...Some good hybribizing work there. By whom, we may never know.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 23:31