Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shade_tolerant

Marrakech

shade_tolerant
14 years ago

Anyone growing this one? Mine is I think two years old. Wasn't crazy about it at first but it has really grown on me. Starts out the season a nice yellow.

settles down to this

and blooming

close-up of the dusty pink scapes

Comments (9)

• idiothe
    14 years ago

Thanks for the photos... I needed a little encouragement... got some this year and found that one-eyed plants in pots didn't sell... just doesn't look distinguised in the pot...

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

Morning Shade!

I am glad you posted this. I've only seen less mature pictures of Marfakech and it didn't appeal to me very much. I see it fills out much better than I thought it would and will make a beautiful contrast to some of it's counterparts in the garden. Yours is brilliant and I love the color of the scapes against the chartreusse leaves.

Tracy

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Really folks, you need to quit posting these pics-I just can't afford to buy one or more of each-LOL! Now, I have added Marrakech to my ever-lengthening list. It is lovely. Like the ruffled leaves. Thanks for sharing. I am out to start creating a new bed for next year. I ripped out a bunch of forsythia between us and the neighbor and plan to use the lasagna method to improve the soil for spring planting. Can't wait. Cynthia

• Mary4b
    14 years ago

I'd never heard of this one, and can imagine that it doesn't do much for buyers when young in the pot. I sure like yours...it looks like it would be a great side-kick to a either a dark-green or blue large leaved hosta. I like how airy it seems to look in the blooming pic...looks like the leaves really stand up nicely. Thank you! (Yes, of course, I am adding it to the list....)

• shade_tolerant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I agree Idiothe, mine was a tiny one eye when planted, not much to look at.

And good morning Tracy, thank you for the nice words. One of the reasons I added Marrakech was for the unusual color of the scapes. Always looking for something a little different in hostas.

Cynthia we do love enabling. Forsythias are kind of tough to get rid of if they've been there awhile. I like them for a backdrop when they're in control. Keep us posted on your new garden bed.

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

I'm laughing at my typo "marfakech", my old fingers are failing me again. I think maybe it's that I didn't have enough coffee this morning, yeah, that's the ticket. lol.

Tracy

• shade_tolerant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mary you're right, it would look nice in a garden next to either of those, would make it pop out. You can't see it in my pic but there is a Regalia to the right of Marrakech.

That's ok Tracy I understood what you were trying to type :-)

• botanybabe
    14 years ago

Lovely. Looks a lot like Pineapple Upside Down Cake.

Lainey

• shade_tolerant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sort of reminds you of PUC, Lainey. Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a larger plant, irregular green margin and gets lighter centers later in the season. PUC is one of my favorites.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH