Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnywood_gw

Could this be Great Expections

This plant is about 4 years old. Gets sun in morning until noon. It is about 3 feet in diameter. For awhile I thought it might be Brother STEFAN,but it has not become corrugated . Need help with indetification.

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if i am not mistaken.. GE has white scapes... flower stalks ...

and in that much sun... i would not expect the center that yellow.. this time of year ...

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

It could be Paradigm.

bk

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

Wish I could get a closer look. Some of the leaves look to be mildly corrugated, but hard to tell. As bk says, it could be Paradigm, or it might be Captain Kirk, but both of these would be mildly corrugated. And if it's the latter, the center should fade to a parchment color as summer progresses, just as Ken suggests.

Any chance you can take another pic of a leaf, close-up?

Steve

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a close up. There is some correlation ,but not like Brother Stefan

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

My guess is Captain Kirk. It's not Paradigm which is both more rugose and perhaps bigger and more dramatic. You might also consider Paul's Glory. There are pics in the Hosta Library that look a lot like your plant. I hope you get more opinions. Whatever it is, it's a beautiful specimen.

Steve

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

My Great ex are never shiny looking at that size of a leaf... My GUESS is no.. however the colors and pattern isn't that far off.. its a great looking plant what ever it is !

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Paul's Glory doesn't have that third color. It just has the two colors, which by now in my yard are yellow and green. I don't have Captain Kirk, but it appears to be closer to Paul's Glory in color. (Judging from Hosta Library Photos)

I still think Paradigm is a good guess. Mine is younger than the one pictured and in more shade, so the colors are somewhat different. Mine still has not fully acquired it's mature leaf shape.

It's the colors that remind me of Paradigm.The hosta in question has all those different shades of green. And if it's not Paradigm, I want one of whatever it is.

bk

My Paradigm today

{{gwi:1052069}}

{{gwi:1052070}}

{{gwi:1052071}}

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I missed this the first time around, but your leaf is corrugated. The other option would be smooth. Your hosta could be Brother Stephan or Paradigm (or maybe something else). They are very similar in color and leaf shape.

I've attached a photo of Guacamole. See how it's smooth? That's how a hosta would look if it wasn't corrugated. In this case, the corrugation is due to cold damage, but it looks pretty much the same. It's bumpy. Your hosta leaf is bumpy, not smooth.

I've attached another photo of Brother Stephan and Paradigm in the same photo. They both have some corrugation, even as young plants. The BS is only in it's second year. The Paradigm is older, but not fully matured. (Whether is can be fully mature in a pot remains to be seen.) Corrugation gets more pronounced on hosta as they get older, so yours will get more corrugated in time.

The differences I can see seem to be mostly the flower. BS has a clear white flower, Paradigm has an almost white flower. So Paradigm's flower buds and possibly the flowers will have some lilac on them. (Mine already bloomed and I don't remember how much lilac they had on them.)

So, my whole point is that it may be Brother Stephan after all.

bk

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have discovered the only real difference between BS and P is that P has a silky to slightly glossy leaf. After more inspection I am satisfied that it is P. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Sometimes it seams that there are too many variables to consider.

• JANE100
    9 years ago

Hope I can get a picture in of my Great Expections. Mocc just ID'it for me.
    Had it in my garden for a couple of yrs. Don't know when I got it , planted it or even bought it, Must be about the third year for it.