Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nucci60

minuteman vs patriot

nucci60
12 years ago

Does one have wider white margins? Can't tell the difference in pictures. They look identical.

Comments (15)

• donrawson
    12 years ago

No, they're similar, but not identical. Minutemnan has a darker green center, which creates a more distinct contrast with the white margin...a better plant IMO.

• hosta_freak
    12 years ago

They are so identical,at least to me,to even compare,in my opinion. I have both,and they still look like the same plant. Phil

• Gesila
    12 years ago

My Patriot and Minuteman weren't growing well where I had them originally, so I moved them into this temporary bed until I can figure out where I want them.

Patriot is on the left and Minuteman is on the right. I can't tell them apart.

• ninamarie
    12 years ago

I can't tell them apart, either. I used to think Minuteman was a better grower, but then I moved Patriot to a new location, and it has flourished. And I still can't tell them apart.

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    12 years ago

I agree with don r. I think you need mature plants to tell the difference, but even then, the differences are subtle. Here, for comparison, are Independence, Minuteman, and Patriot, all over five years old.

Steve

• Mari_88
    12 years ago

I love the look of both patriot and minutemen! I am new to hostas and have cone across some minutemen bareroots. How much shade is too much for this hosta? How much sun is too much? I would like to plant them up against one side of my house which is completely shaded until late in the afternoon. I am worried because the bed doesnt get any direct or filtered light in the early spring. Would this keep them from growing properly? As the seasons progress this area may recieve direct light slighly earlier in the afternoon. Do these sound like okay conditions for
    Minutemen? I would also like to plant lily of the valley and astilbe with the hostas..any thoughts?

Thank you!

• User
    12 years ago

I could tell the difference. I had a Minuteman (from Lowes, but it is dearly departed now)and am replacing it because I liked it better than Patriot.

My Patriot came up with about 14 eyes this year, looked good for a while, and now the leaf margins are melting and looking creamy colored instead of white. It does not look as clean as it originally did.

The Minuteman I have shipping from Naylor Creek, along with Whirlwind (another departed Lowes impulse buy, that I repented of later) and I am looking forward to getting it because the green is really dark and Irish looking, and the white is really white. It will contrast nicely with all my soft greens and golds and avocado-ish leaves.

But, I can tell the difference if they are side by side, not ID each one independent of the other.

Mari-88, not ignoring your question for expertise, just don't have what it takes to answer. I garden in containers and move my plants at will. Easier that way for me. :)

• Steve Massachusetts
    12 years ago

Minuteman should grow in shade. The afternoon sun might be OK, as long as we're not talking about 4 hours of afternoon sun. An hour or two should be OK. A lot of afternoon sun might result in the margins burning out. Try it in your spot. That's really the only way you'll know. If it doesn't do well there, then move it.

Steve

• bkay2000
    12 years ago

How much shade you need depends on where you are. If you're in MN, you can grow in a lot of sun. If you're in TX, you have to grow in mostly shade. Late afternoon sun in June or July will fry a hosta here.

bkay

• ctopher_mi
    12 years ago

The problem is that Minuteman is a tissue culture mutation of Patriot, and it happens so often that when companies TC Patriot there is a good chance that they will end up with Minuteman if not properly culled out. Patriot has a wider margin earlier in its life while Minuteman takes a lot longer to get there. Also as noted, Minuteman's margin appears to be more starkly white. Patriot more yellow/cream when it first comes out.

Since Minuteman can show up while doing TCs of Patriot, but they are so tough to cull, you have a lot of Patriot on the market that are really Minuteman, and then you end up with identical but different labeled plants out there.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Thank you, Chris. That would explain how so many of us cannot see the difference in the labeled plants. I got a "Liberty" from you that even as it it opening, has a wider margin than mine from 2003. Tc's have made a lot of hostas available to us peons, but in the process, some things must suffer. For me, close is good enough.

-Babka

• Jon 6a SE MA
    12 years ago

I also have both and I find the Minuteman superior and agree they seem identical without a close look.

• in ny zone5
    12 years ago

Within 15 years one original Patriot has become 7 in my front yard, and I like them a lot. Some of my Patriots grow nearly in full sun, but have crowns shaded and get only watered once a week.
    Bernd

• User
    12 years ago

Okay, the creamy edges on my Patriot are what I feel makes it less beautiful. The Minuteman was crisply white-edged.
    I've only experienced these two specimens, so I cannot generalize about the nature of both plants. However, I know what I like when I see it.

I took another look at my Patriot, and yep, it has creamy white edges not crisp white. The plant is in its first growing season at my house (as is most everything).

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio