Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esox48

Great Expectations

esox48
11 years ago

Paul's Glory isn't the only hosta the Winter Nursery has better luck with than most of us. I think this is Great Expectations, although I couldn't find a tag.

And this is Great Expectations. It has a tag, is growing right next to a gravel road, has some green leaves they haven't bothered to remove. A couple of the leaves have tire tread marks. Basically just a forlorn and neglected plant that no one even notices.

Comments (8)

• Cricket_Love
    11 years ago

People have problems growing Paul's Glory?

• coll_123
    11 years ago

Very nice specimens. Ironic, because I'm planning on replacing Paul's Glory with Great Expectations next year- and I have just the neglected spot for it! (I won't be driving over it however, yikes!)

• hostahosta
    11 years ago

Everyone is saying the GE is so difficult. I bought three of them last year, knowing nothing about it, and grouped them. Here is a pic this year. I have since moved 2 of the 3 because they were too crowded and have placed in much different locations around my garden. I hope at least one of them thrives!

• hosta_freak
    11 years ago

GE is difficult,but not impossible. When you find the right location in your garden,it will grow quite well! Phil

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

This one is 2nd year and in some sun. Still immature leaves. One I have in shade (planted 08) has gotten bigger but still 1 division.

Paul

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I have no problems with H.'Great Expectations. Here is one in more sun. Last year the second set of leaves were streaked.

This one only gets morning sun, then dappled shade.

These two are waiting to get planted when the heat is over. Bernd

• hostahillbilly
    11 years ago

Yes, Hosta 'Great Expectations' has a rep for being touchy.

This is such a long-standing rep that it probably has some merit.

Our experience: we have several and all, by and large, are superb.

That said, last year one showed all the symptoms of tree-root strangulation, so since it would die if nothing was done, out it came and into a pot size appropriate to the great root ball size recovered.

Nope, died, fooie!

Lived up to the rep; don't transplant, divide, or otherwise mess with one that's doing well.

Other Hosta-Wisdoms we may dispute (don't plant blue in sun: why not, they grow bigger, badder, meaner, faster. Yup they change colour over the growing season, BUT HEY, we so celebrate so many other Hosta that do that, so I hereby add blues to the list).

/rant_off/

GE is, IMO, worth the effort/risk to try.

After all, how many of us put up with Hosta 'Frances Williams'? Fess up . . .

fwiw,

hh

• coll_123
    11 years ago

"Other Hosta-Wisdoms we may dispute (don't plant blue in sun: why not, they grow bigger, badder, meaner, faster. Yup they change colour over the growing season, BUT HEY, we so celebrate so many other Hosta that do that, so I hereby add blues to the list)."

Ok, I'll dispute that with you, lol. I'll take the slower growth to have a hosta stay blue as long as possible.

I'd rather have my Love Pat look like this, pretty much all season:

rather than one of these crispy blue critters in a parking lot the other day

And my own Elegans fried in some extra hot morning sun earlier this season, despite lots of water

I'll take the shade to have prettier hostas, longer. :)