Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

I.D. Not quite resolved

Good Morning!

I've been laid up with a sore back but back in the garden with my coffee this morning, listening to the ever-happy sounds of robins, goldfinches, chickadees, etc. waiting for my hummingbird to drop in to snack on my red bergamot/monarda. He snubbed the feeder for the monarda the other day...smart birdie!

The reason I posted this as a new thread is to ensure it captures someone's attention (see? I HAVE been paying attention, lol)

I recently purchased what was labelled as Royal Tiara. After little research, I came to the conclusion that it is not. I just hate not knowing, it's bugging me because this plant is special....why, you ask? Well, first of all, it fits into the "cutie" category...lol lol lol...that's important too, no? :-)). Secondly, I got two for the price of one with the sporting going on in terms of the light edged pieces....woohoo..thirdly, I wanted to expand my tardiana line..hope I'm referencing that correctly.

Moccasin, I have you in mind when I tell you what I discovered this morning.
THE FLOWERS ARE FRAGRANT, yes, FRAGRANT.

Since I've joined the forum, I have amassed a lot of information....lots that sticks, and lots more that doesn't quite hold and I have to go back and read again...BUT, I've gone around (now that I can bend again) and 'sniffed' Like a hound dog, all the hosta flowers (and others) I could reach. With all the talk about fragrant hosta I thought I had better get educated a little on the subject.

I also googled royal tiara specifically re fragrant flowers and they are not......hence, my question: what is the name of this lovely little hosta?

I would very much appreciate your help. Thank you, Jo.

P.S. know how I hurt my otherwise strong back? Lifting, INCORRECTLY, a 60+ bag of potting soil....I was so excited to pot up all my cracker crumbs and kifukurin Otome ('no woman no cry', Moccasins) and whatever else got into my hands that I got careless. Another lesson learned, sigh...I guess we never stop learning...:-)

Comments (50)

• WILDernessWen
    10 years ago

Jo, Could it be Little Aurora? Just a guess. I got a stress fracture in my right foot rock hunting down in my creek in April. Dr. said I'd have to be off work for 6 weeks. He never said a thing about gardening, lol. Gardened all spring with a stupid boot on my foot. Enjoy your day and take it easy on the back. WW

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

THESE SIDEWAYS AND UPSIDE DOWN PICS ARE DRIVING ME NUTS....AND IT'S A SHORT DRIVE FROM FOR ME. Apple should be ashamed for not fixing this. End Rant.

josephines67, I assume you are using an iphone as the picture is displaying sideways - after reading a bit on this, it sounds like if you take pic in landscape (phone sideways - I'm assuming top of phone to left) it will display correctly here. Could you add a picture taken in landscape and we'll let you know if it displays correctly. Thanks.

Paul

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I HAD NO IDEA about the pics going wonky as they show up in preview correctly...and I'm so sorry to have evoked a rant, however unknowingly...all taken in good humour....

The pics I take are with my iPad, not an iPhone as I don't own one. I always try to make sure the 'camera' is on the right side of the tablet, especially moving about, turning, etc.

Whatever happens on the way between 'preview' , 'submit' and 'posted' is a technical glitch we iPad users are not aware of until someone speaks up and lets us know. My tablet takes such great pictures that I don't use my digital camera or my Konica anymore.

I hope this is just an isolated incident. I can understand how frustrating it must be to have to crank the head around whichever way to view a pic....but honestly, I'm not even aware of the problem at this end.

Please continue to notify if this should happen again...I will notify Apple as a concerned user. Thank you for this information! :-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Paul...hope your head is OK?? we're you going to offer a comment re the I.D. Please? Jo

Original Author
    10 years ago

I send this pic with trepidation....:(

A close up of largest leaf on plant and more description...

Cchecked on Little Aurora, WW upon your suggestion...some similarity in that it has a very subtle, very fine white line rimming the leaf blade, perhaps part of the somewhat glaucous bloom on leaf's underside...decurrent...slight exaggerated twist at leaf tip on some leaves...should have added all this info at the outset...here goes pic...fingers crossed it comes out like it should...

Veins to centre number 6 and a half lol on the half..

Matte finish on both sides of blade

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

May I suggest that you post your photos to photobucket, where you can turn them with their edit feature? Then link to it. That's what you have to do if you want to post more than one photo, anyway. I'm with Paul, those sideways and upside down photos are very disconcerting.

As for the ID, every time I look at that photo, I think Birchwood Parky's Gold. I don't have a photo of it blooming that I have sorted. I'll look through the ones I have not sorted to see if I can find a photo. This one is from last year. For size comparison, mine is about 3 or 4 years old and is in a 10" pot.

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

.AND IT'S A SHORT DRIVE FROM FOR ME.

===>>> paul

can i take it as the highest compliment.. that you are repeating my best line ever????

lol

ken

ps: it started a decade or so.. when i would say to the kids.. YOU GUYS ARE DRIVING ME CRAZY ... and its a real short drive.. lol ...

• User
    10 years ago

Josephine, I must make a quick trip to the garden, to give you a picture of the one I think it just might be.

I know that Invincible is fragrant. I have two of them, and they can get a shiny fairly medium green. I never thought about that. Invincible is also one to sport around a bit too. I also have Invincible Spirit, one of its sports, definitely fragrant. Give me a change to get out there with the camera and upload them to Flickr, The flowers are also lavender.

What an unexpected pleasure to have it fragrant. And it looks so healthy and cute too.

Invincible Spirit from May 2013

Gotta get the shots to continue this.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Jo, no idea on hosta - lovely leaves and color. I looked up info on a couple I have that are similar leaf size, but neither has fragrant flowers listed. I linked to Don's Fragrant-Flowered Hostas list below. Since it has some cream colored leaves, I wonder if it sported to solid....maybe something that should have been culled as not true to name and got thru.

I'd still suggest a second pic to give you feedback - above pic has top of pic to left. From what we have seen on GW this season - it previews fine on ipad/iphone but some come out upside-down or sideways to non-apple platforms. I was able to find comments pretty easy on-line about this problem, so I'm sure Apple knows about it....frustrating that they haven't fixed it.

Here's pic turned.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: FRAGRANT-FLOWERED HOSTAS

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

This was after a rain, so it's really not shiny. It's very matte. Underside is lighter than the upper side, but I wouldn't call it white and matte. I got it in the spring 2009 as a bonus plant. This is not a very good photo, but it does show the blooms. This was taken May 24. I'm in Texas, so the bloom date roughly corresponds with your later spring. It has 7-8 veins. Mine is in full shade.

bk

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank goodness you all have a sense of humour...and patience?
    I have started, last week, to load pics into photo bucket, have quite a few but lots to go...slow process...acting on advice to use photo bucket mainly because I want to send more than one picture at a time.

Here's the thing folks....I started my last post in text, then chose file to send pic...I chose Take Photo or Video option and snapped photo of leaf. It took a while to send through. Are you telling me it ALSO came through wonky???? That's just too much.

Here I've been sending pics, happily snapping away, previews all looking good and today I find out they are coming through not as they should. I am, what's the word?....crestfallen comes to mind. So disappointing when, on my end anyway, everything was working so well. Kinda puts a kink in my enthusiasm at this moment....

Can anyone tell me how long have my pics been coming thru this way? Or is it just lately? I've got to get to the bottom of it because I love using the tablet to take pics....and sending them via same apparatus.thank you.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

The second photo looks fine to me.

bk

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Jo, for your reference, leaf pic came thru with tip at top of pic.....though imo, leaf pic orientation isn't critical like a clump or garden pic. Sorry to curb your enthusiasm, I would treat this more like someone said you mustard on the corner of your mouth - no big deal, but nice to know.

Paul

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much, Paul...took your advice and retook pic...and posting with bated breath! Please let me know outcome. Jo.

P.S. a thought occurred to me which may, or may not, make me feel stupid, as in DUH....I was sitting on the swing when I took the pic of this mystery hosta because I wanted to keep smelling it, not believing it was fragrant...I just turned toward it and snapped a pic........so.......likely the camera was angled when taking pic....and....now that I'm recalling some of my shots in recent weeks, I have not taken all 'head-on' .... I hope perhaps that may explain some of them.

BK ...I made sure I took the second shot head on...it worked...I hope it's as simple as this...that I'm not a good picture taker and have to ensure I am facing my subjects head on to prevent upside down and sideways ones....
    Here goes everything....

{{!gwi}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

What's with this? A no go...aargh...once again...

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Pic - All systems go, we have lift-ooofffff.

Sorry to derail your ID request ........hope someone steps up and can help.

Paul

Original Author
    10 years ago

Let me take a moment to THANK YOU all for your help and patience with this. It's important to me.

I can take jokes, love 'em, love self deprecating humour, little digs, bring 'em on...but I feel bad when I put myself in your shoes when reading posts that include dis-oriented pictures.

Ken...nice of you to surface, at my expense!!! Gonna get you back....hmmmmm

Paul...thanks for steering me straight...love mustard on my hot dog...haven't had one in months...hungry all of a sudden..."take me out to the ball game..."

BK...if it is your plant, I welcome it...so clean and bright...the veins on this young 'un are smooth like a lot of young ones seem to be before they become coarser with age, or dimpled, or corrugated etc....

Moccasins...more pics coming, you say? Lkng. Fwd. to seeing them...I have Sweet Bo Peep , a sport of Invincible. Have you too encountered troubles with my pics?

Going now to link provided by Paul, with thanks. Jo

Original Author
    10 years ago

YAHOOOOOOOO, YAYYYYYY, YIPPPPPEEEE...gosh that felt good!!!!

THANKS so much for the time, really...this exercise took time.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Sorry, I missed the fragrant part. BPG is not fragrant.

bk

Original Author
    10 years ago

Awwww, here I was hoping.....on a positive note, your BPG has been added to my want list...:-)

onwards....it sure will be nice to nail the name of this one, sooner, or later.this i.d. Process is tricky and time consuming...much gratitude..I don't care how long it takes as people have lives to live...just as long as it takes.

Appreciative,
    Jo.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Jo, I had to run an errand and I was thinking,,,,,(I often think well when driving)...maybe it's not the hosta you were smelling. I'm in Texas, as I've already mentioned. My fragrant hosta are just now beginning to bloom. So, really, it's not time for fragrant hosta to bloom in Ontario.

Then, on the other hand, a lady who works for me can smell a scent on some hosta that I can't. So maybe BPG is a possibliity. I didn't smell of it when it was blooming.

Maybe we should not be looking at close plantaginea progeny.

Just a thought.

bk

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, BK...I had my nose right in the blooms, three are opened so far..I actually had someone else smell them too because it was a lighter scent than a new lily I have on the deck called Souvenir....this little unnamed hosta has fragrant flowers alright!

We had a long, drawn out spring with strange weather....despite that, once the hot weather arrived, (temps. consistently in 20's) everything seems faster, if possible. It seemed like plants were making up for lost time......for example, on June 2 (I remember that day because I was flying to Vegas to celebrate a milestone birthday) I planted last year's dahlia tubers. Not quite 5 weeks later, there were buds on the plant already, now to the point where you can see colour...that,s fast, isn't it? I did not fertilize, just hurriedly stuck them in the ground, pressed for time.

This hosta was purchased from a nursery just last week. It was outdoors exposed to all day sun...maybe that sped it up somewhat.

Wouldn't it be something if BPG is fragrant and we've identified it??? I would be thrilled.

BTW...I'm not up to speed on progeny, hybridizing, any of the advanced education of hosta. But I'm not afraid to ask. I wasn't sure what you meant so I went googling about Plantaginea progeny...after reading a bit, I was getting confused and perhaps misunderstood what you meant...whether we should be, or shouldn't be looking at that.

My experience is limited to a love for hosta. ---I HAVE learned that it is a VERY forgiving plant and can testify as to its tenacity to survive harsh treatment. --- I have not YET tried to grow one from seed ... I'm not sure I would survive the excitement if one ever germinated for me!!! --- so I hope you'll have forgive my ignorance if I ask silly questions. I wish I could use italics in my font when emphasizing words...caps seem like I'm shouting .. Lol..

I certainly appreciate any leads and by looking things up, I might remember some details for future use and recall.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, I can't relate. I can't imagine a 3 month summer. My hosta start coming up in February sometimes. By June 1, we're in the 90's (F). First frost is about November 15. But, you're right, this was one strange weather year.

I'm actually replying to another post of yours. I wanted to make sure you saw it, so I put it here. When the photo disappears, it's because you edited the post. If you edit, you have to upload the photo again or it's not there when it's posted. That's only if you use the gardenweb uploader. The photobucket photos don't go anywhere when you edit.

bk

Original Author
    10 years ago

OH! good to know and thank you for the heads up as I will certainly remember this in future posts. Good of you, BK.

I've been trying to do my own leg work here and I looked up Gold Drop, which looks the most similar to my posted pic, but no mention of fragrance. I just brought it in.

Now this is very interesting......earlier in the day when it was hot and humid, I was sitting on a canopied swing, smelling the obviously fragrant hosta flower - and the person with me smelled it too,,,,as per earlier post. NOW, it's cooler outside, humidity is gone, and the FLOWER NO LONGER SMELLS. I tried each open flower - absolutely no smell. Is this a phenomenon?
    I will try tomorrow as it is another hot and muggy one. and will post my discovery.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

Now this is very interesting......earlier in the day when it was hot and humid, I was sitting on a canopied swing, smelling the obviously fragrant hosta flower - and the person with me smelled it too,,,,as per earlier post. NOW, it's cooler outside, humidity is gone, and the FLOWER NO LONGER SMELLS.

If we postulate that this NOID is from a plantaginea background we have a bit of a problem with what you observed, in as much as it is most fragrant in the evening, it relies on moths for pollination. All the various other fragrant flowered hostas that can trace their lineage to it pretty much behave the same. It might be worth it to see what there is in the 'Fragrant Blue' family tree that might fit. It's fragrance is more like freesias than gardenias. How would you describe the scent you smelled?

Pieter

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello, Pieter,

Its a faint version of the lily called Souvenir...I know what gardenias and freesias smell like and this scent, although faint, leans toward freesia if you are looking for a benchmark....it really smells like 'hint of lily'....very delicate kind of scent. Notwithstanding we are talking about a hosta flower, in your experience have you encountered a flower that loses its scent at certain times of the day?

If I didn't have a witness, I swear I'd think I was losing it! LOL

• User
    10 years ago

Maybe it isn't the lily losing its scent at certain times of day, so much as it is the conditions make the scent undetectable. Like wind or high light conditions.

But it seems to me it would be strongest when it is first fresh. If the flower opens late, then the scent is best at that time and disperses as time goes by.

If it has been a calm peaceful night, next morning early I can detect hosta fragrance to some degree. Also, in the early evening it is around, as the flowers must begin opening. I've never stood there and watched a hosta flower unfurl. I wonder if there is YouTube footage of that happening. Sounds like a good science project to me.

You guys are way over my head with scent details. Never smelled a freesia.

But Pieter mentioned the gardenia scent. And in many ways, that is what I get in the garden but not as heavy. It is sweet but not heavy. Sort of Sweet Bird of Youth.

Are we still on with the pictures? I took some today, but will get my thinking straight before I post them. I have Sweet Bo Peep, Invincible, Invincible Spirit, all of which have a smooth but shiny leaf. With a good bit of sunshine, the color gets some yellow on the color scale. Then it can all depend on time of year too, for leaf color. Hosta can be such chameleons.

For instance, here is Invincible, which was in more shade. The only problem is, its flowers are almost white, not a definite pinky lavender like your plant is.

Back to the old drawing board

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Moccasins! Look at all that shine! Lovely Invincible!

Aside from the fragrance, my NOID resembles Gold Drop a fair bit....if I don't get a firm I.D on this one I'll just keep plugging along. Really appreciate the effort, though. :-)

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Hmmmmmm! The scent thing has me caught in your web Jo. I live in North Central IL and none of my fragrants have even begun to scape yet. If I part the leaves I think I am seeing the beginning of one receme in my Fried Green Tomato.

Wouldn't it be interesting to find an early blooming fragrant hosta?

By the way, when I first saw your initial picture the thought "one of the Tiaras" flashed through my mind. I would have to check my pic of my friend Bobbi's that looks very similar. But as we all know they are not fragrant.

Paul-you are lucky you have short drives. I always have admitted my going crazy is only a short putt.

Theresa

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

Josephine, this is a close-up of one of my 'Fragrant Blue' florets from this morning. How does it compare to what you're seeing on your plant?

BTW, just went back to your first post on this thread and see you gave as one of your reasons for purchasing it was to expand your Tardiana types. 'Royal Tiara' is NOT part of the Tardiana group and it certainly seems this NOID isn't either, otherwise it wouldn't have been in flowers as yet.

Theresa, 'Fragrant Blue' flowers much earlier than most fragrant flowered hostas. It's a fickle variety in terms of it actually having scented flowers. I got my original one back in 2000 and it was my garden for 9 years before I got to smell its fragrance. By the sounds of it many others have had it for a long time and have never been able to detect a fragrance from it. I'm certainly at a loss to begin to explain that. FWIW, when I went out to snap a few pictures this morning of the flowers, I could NOT detect any fragrance, but, it may have been too early in the day -07.30-.

Pieter

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Wow... first time I've been able to sign on to GW in a week!

A few clarifications. The tiara family are nakaianas, not tardianas. Royal Tiara was originally registered in 1988 by Zillis as a sport from Jade Scepter (all green sport of Golden Tiara) and then Zilis said that was an error and it should have been published as a sport of Golden Tiara... but now his thinking is that Gold Edger is the most likely parent for Royal Tiara.

This one, of course, is nothing like the kind of contorted leaf of Royal Tiara.

But lets go down the tiara idea. It certainly looks like Golden Scepter, which is the all-yellow sport of Golden Tiara. It's hard to judge substance, but if this leaf has more substance than the Golden T family, that fits even better... because Grand Tiara is the tet sport of Golden... and Grand has an all yellow sport named Amber Tiara.

Also, those tets sported a lot... so there are several versions of yellow/chartreuse/cream combinations... Like Heavenly Tiara, for example...

So this one looks like Amber Tiara... and the sporting looks like that family as well...

BUT

if we go with the Gold Edger direction, we get a strong hint in that sport. The Naylor guyz registerd Olympic Edger... which is Gold Edger with a cream margin... and there is a greener center-light margin Gold Edger Supreme...

so there is a very strong candidate for your confused plant.

(don't even bother to try to figure out where Gold Edger comes from... it is registered as Blue Cadet x Blue Cadet... and Blue Cadet is an Aden registration of very questionable nature - a Tokudama hybrid?! There is NOTHING about Blue Cadet or Gold Edger that would hint at Tokudama background.

but throw in fragrance and I'm lost! None of the tiaras and none of the Gold Edgers are fragrant... and just in case you are wondering... no fragrance with Blue Cadet OR Tokudama, either!

• User
    10 years ago

Jo, that is what I had ready to upload, my pics of Gold Drop, because that is what I thought it could be. But I took them all out when I remembered you said fragrance was apparent.

Anyway, here is the picture of Gold Drop that I was about to upload for you. It is a cutie, and it also sets seed. If you like it, go with it, let it set open pollenated seeds, and multiply like crazy. I have three pots of it, just love it more than any of the Tiaras. It began yellow, turned chartreusey green. Let me get it for you, and move along to the next post.

flowers opened....that pot with the dark margined hosta leaf is Tick Tock, another excellent hosta of this size.

and then with the seed pods

Isn't it a cutie?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, folks...while you were working diligently on my behalf, I had to drive down to Toronto.

Update on scent....a very faint, but fragrance, nonetheless from 2 out of 5 opened flowers! What do you think of that? Took pic inside house..two...one of flower close-up, also close up of lobes that barely have any pinching...very few leaves resemble hearts, narrower, slender leaves...sun exposure is promoting "gold" colour at closer look

Original Author
    10 years ago

Driver Paul and Putt Putt Theresa...don't tell me if pics are not oriented...you're having way too much fun, you two clowns!!! Lol lol

Pieter...your flower has a beautiful blue hue to it...mine is more lavender/pink...I have distinct white lines inside flower throat...pic attached which I hope shows colour etc.

Idiothe...nice to hear from you....I have Blue Cadet and love it...the half that receives more sun is bluer than shady side, loads of flowers...smelled them too..no scent as you stated. I love all this information, this learning curve but its very easy to get information overload!! Lol. ..no complaint here tho'.

The 'elusive' fragrance of this NOID adds to the mystery, for sure. I looked up Amber Tiara and compared it to NOID...two pics come close....what I look for is the whitish edge...there's a proper word for that...on the leaves..not a margin, just a hint of underside of blade...I'm looking for these traits, then when I've found them, I go to flower for fragrance and BAM, the door slams shut yet again!!

Moccasins...your GDrop is A-1 ... The lobes on yours are more pronounced..check out my close-up...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Driver Paul and Putt Putt Theresa...don't tell me if pics are not oriented...you're having way too much fun, you two clowns!!! Lol lol

Pieter...your flower has a beautiful blue hue to it...mine is more lavender/pink...I have distinct white lines inside flower throat...pic attached which I hope shows colour etc.

Idiothe...nice to hear from you....I have Blue Cadet and love it...the half that receives more sun is bluer than shady side, loads of flowers...smelled them too..no scent as you stated. I love all this information, this learning curve but its very easy to get information overload!! Lol. ..no complaint here tho'.

The 'elusive' fragrance of this NOID adds to the mystery, for sure. I looked up Amber Tiara and compared it to NOID...two pics come close....what I look for is the whitish edge...there's a proper word for that...on the leaves..not a margin, just a hint of underside of blade...I'm looking for these traits, then when I've found them, I go to flower for fragrance and BAM, the door slams shut yet again!!

Moccasins...your GDrop is A-1 ... The lobes on yours are more pronounced..check out my close-up...

{{!gwi}}

Original Author
    10 years ago

SUBSTANCE...TEXTURE. sheesh, I'm doing more posting than anyone...so disorganized...

Just went outside...felt up LOL Golden Tiara whose texture is 'soft'...felt the leaves and ruffled the plant
    Golden Scepter is 'soft'
    Wheee's textures is 'crisp', as is this NOID...crisp as Cracker Crumbs...lets see, I would say the leaf is 'good', not thin, not thick, but smooth, almost leaning toward leathery....strong maybe more than good...I could almost say it feels tough, but not Rhino Hide tough!!! Lol
    The leaf feels more like Sweet Bo Peep..but I can feel the veins underneath NOID, giving it more substance...whereas SBP is smooth both sides....makes leaf feel 'thinner' ...I know in my head what I am saying, I just hope someone else does?

Does any of this help at all?

• User
    10 years ago

Pieter, I am really astonished at the color of your Fragrant Blue. Mine is showing only a bit of lavender like a shadow. How can it be such a difference in the same hosta? Could mine be something besides FB?

Here is the scape showing this afternoon's flowers; It's sprinkling, but I got a shot anyway.

this one from mid June

this one today, only slight lavender tint

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I don't have anything else to add to the ID... but I am amazed that Josephine happened to mention the name of the hosta I'm registering this summer... hmmm...

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    10 years ago

Josephine you had me in an awkward position...stooped down trying to smell something other than the Green Tea soap on my hands... your picture reminds me of my Gold Drop so much that I was convinced that I would smell something.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

Pieter, I am really astonished at the color of your Fragrant Blue. Mine is showing only a bit of lavender like a shadow. How can it be such a difference in the same hosta? Could mine be something besides FB?

Barbara, the big difference will be that mine is in full sun from about 0800 to 1300. I'll see if I can find a picture of it earlier in the season and you'll see it looks quite a bit more like what you are showing...

Pieter

Original Author
    10 years ago

Moccasins...it's always such a pleasure to wade through your sea of hosta. The more pics you send, the more pleasure you bring!

ConnieMay...the visualization had me laughing out loud.

If there is no consensus, I'm going to name it/refer to it as my very own Fragrant Drop or Fragrant Dew Drop...anyone with me on this decision????

Idiothe...really?????
    I have an opinion re your difficulty with accessing GW but its not charitable...suffice it to say we are all happy to have you back in the fold after the short absence. I have come to rely on your expertise as much as others and always look for your input along with the "vast"experienced gurus' opinion on this forum.

So far, this NOID has us stymied?

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Josephine,

There are some folks who maintain that all Hosta flowers are fragrant to a certain degree and that Plantaginea is just the most noticeable fragrance for us humans. Plantanginea, the species, is noticeably fragrant from yards away in the evening. Remember that the purpose of fragrance to a flower is to attract a pollinator. The plant doesn't need to be fragrant to us to have it be an advantage.

It could very well be that the fragrance you noticed was simply a situation in which the environmental conditions were perfect for you to notice it. Then when the conditions changed you were no longer able to detect the odor easily or at all. Seems a plausible theory to me.

Steve

• User
    10 years ago

Jo, it could be next year or the year after that your Fragrant Dew Drop reveals its true identity. Then no mystery.

I'm wondering if the new registration by IdiotHe might be one I asked him about too. If so, when it becomes available for general distribution, I would love to have it in my garden. My DH's youngest child is named that. Or so I presume if it is the hosta I saw listed.

Also, I have to go through my Back40 and retake pictures of the hosta which arrived all on one day, 4 orders, almost broke my system of record keeping. They are all looking pretty spiffy now. Only, I've avoided working in that area a lot since the mosquitos are bad there, where the air is still. I cruise through it looking for southern blight and such, but don't stand around long. That's where I bumped into a square plastic pot that was very heavy, and punctured my leg...wound up with leg up to avoid infection until the hole filled in and the red stuff went away. Plus my new Brothers P-labeler is here now, and I can make name tags to view without removing the originals from the pot. Also, have not watered in about two weeks, there is more than sufficient rain, like 4 inches in about an hour a few days back. Our temps are in the mid 80s but with really high humidity. Oppressive heavy air. Even my DH, who poo-pooed running a fan in his workshop, now has it going. It's his first summer this far south, and he cannot get over the humidity and its attendant health issues for the plants, hosta and veggie alike.

• User
    10 years ago

Totally forgot to follow up on Pieter's Fragrant Blue response.
    I'd appreciate it, another picture of yours. The darker color is fantastic.

I made an observation about the similarity in my garden of Fragrant Blue and Halcyon. Leaf shape and the vein depth. Also the blue green leaf of this time of year.

I keep most of my blues where the blue will last longer, in the shade. With all the rain this year, the blue is long washed away, but some hosta retain a blue green cast in the dark colored leaves. Like Blue Hawaii does, and so does Clear Fork River Valley. Krossa Regal is mostly green, but it is on the edge of the shade and gets more sun.

Anyway, the FB and Halcyon are approximately the same size, and so are the leaves.

Getting a second Fragrant Blue with my late season order is part of the plan now, to have two from different sources. To place in different sun conditions.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Quite plausible, Steve, thanks. Moccasins brought that up also.

I agree with your comments...and fragrance is lovely, undoubtedly. Having said that, I have not yet purchased one hosta based on whether its flowers have a fragrance or not.

Since the only other hosta ( till recently ) in my garden with a noticeably fragrant flower is Plantaginea (iPad insists on getting cap wrong), I didn't really pay much attention to other hosta flowers much before now. But I will now.

At the end of the day, more important to me is to have a name for this new hosta of mine. I think this orphan deserves a good name, whether its chosen by me, or someone who actually nails its identification.

Moccasins...the way you started your comment above (don't think I missed that lol) you answered my question. FDD it is...this thread is so long now it likely has petered itself out although I will still monitor for latecomers.

Thank you to all who took time out of their day(s) to assist another fellow hosta lover!

With sincere gratitude, Jo.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

Totally forgot to follow up on Pieter's Fragrant Blue response.
    I'd appreciate it, another picture of yours. The darker color is fantastic.

Here you go, Barbara, this one's from 23 May 2012.

Pieter

• jadie88
    10 years ago

How young is this hosta? It rather looks like my very immature August Moon, which is fragrant and already bloomed a couple weeks ago in my zone 7a. The blooms look about right, and AM is a big sporter...

Forgive the picture quality...the color is much closer to you're in real life. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there.

This post was edited by jadie88 on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 22:50

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

This is a division of a plant I've had since 2000. FB is not a large cultivar. 'August Moon' is not registered as being fragrant flowered, and is a large yellow. Something's not adding up here.

Pieter

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Ah, True true...it must have been another bloom I was remembering?

I knew its a long shot, its just that my first year AM is the closest thing I have to the NOID. I'm one of the newest kids on the hosta block... thought I'd play the game for once. :)

• User
    10 years ago

Hey, Jadie, don't give up. I have only one or two IDs to my credit, and I did the happy-dance when I made the first one!
    It's a learning experience to even TRY. :)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022