Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pieter_k

Captain's Adventure...

I got two 'Captain's Adventure's this spring, potted one and planted the other in a raised bed. Here's how they're doing thus far, not quite what I had hoped for based on the first pictures I saw of it. How are yours doing?

Pieter

Comments (15)

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

Here's mine, a recent replacement plant - original stayed solid and Naylor quickly replaced. Top pic was 10 days ago and bottom pic from today.

Paul

• aka_margo
    12 years ago

I saw them at the Midwest Hosta convention today, and they looked like the ones in your picture Pieter.
    Jen

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Paul, yours is most peculiar, it almost looks to be changing to 'Gold Standard', with that margin going green. While mine isn't quite what I had expected, I'm glad it's not like the one you have....if that's a replacement, it still doesn't look right to me, don't you think so?

Pieter

• chris-e
    12 years ago

Hmmmmmm, something new here, a hosta I may have to cross off my list.

chris

• paul_in_mn
    12 years ago

It looks like pics on link below - click middle pic at bottom. Maybe it color changes a bit like Hanky Panky.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Captain's Adventure - Franzen

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That picture was the one that intially caught my eye late winter. When I saw it being offered for sale locally as a bare, dry root I jumped on it. I'll take a closer look at Paul's pictures when I'm back home looking at it on a calibrated monitor before I shoot myself in the foot....

Pieter

• tepelus
    12 years ago

Here's a progression of the color changes it has gone through thus far:

5-15-11

5-23-11

6-26-11

7-8-11

I think mine looks the most like what I've seen in pictures. I bought mine from Josh from In The Country Garden & Gifts. It seems to be doing well where it's at. Better than Tattoo which died where CA is now, and I think I like it better!

Karen

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great series of pictures, Karen. I'll give mine a few more weeks and see how close we'll get with them, haven't lost hope yet... and you should either, Paul.

Pieter

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Here's a pic in 3rd year with lots of drawstring, pretty disappointing. Still unfurling, though doubt this will flatten out. A far cry from early catalog pics. Link below is pic that everyone had in their catalog pages.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Fransen's Captain's Adventure page with pic

• Jagd51
    10 years ago

Here's mine too. I never found that it looked like the catalogue pictures, way more rounded leaves....however if I had not expected to see something like the catalogue showed, I might have liked it for itself. It is bright in my garden and only a tich of drawstring.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

I actually like the drawstringing that mine has done each spring. Here it was on May 14 during its second week of unfurling.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Mine has gotten smaller this year, but so have a lot of my hostas. I think it may be stress from the drought and hot temps last year, tree roots, and a move this year with the plant(s) out of the ground for a week or two. I have it in a pot right now, and hopefully I won't have rot issues with it (and the others I had no room for in the ground) come winter. This year I should give it and all of my hostas some fertilizer to help bring them back up to size again. Thankful for the cooler temps this spring compared to last year, and so far more rainfall.

Karen

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Still on the fence with CA. This is the best it's looked so far:

Gesila

• User
    10 years ago

I have one that was inspired by this thread. However, I'd since forgotten just WHY I wanted it until you ran the subject back across the screen.

Don't think mine is in the groove yet. Maybe it will one day look amazing, but so far, .......just middling. I'm glad it lived though. Looks a lot better than it did last year.

• on_greenthumb
    10 years ago

Mine is a two year old.

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions