Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almosthooked

hosta family tree

I am trying to find the family tree for hosta. I know there is a site but be darned if I can find it. My field guide has some but the one I had seen and stored somewhere in my computer states them all and where they originated from. HELP , please

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i dont know what you mean by family tree...

but what it sounds like you are looking for... was a chapter in the old schmid tome... which led me to the library.. geo's species updates ...

and the maps at the pdf link below ..

close???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• paul_in_mn
    9 years ago

or myhostas has search by origin or other fields; and also a listing of sports.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: myhostas.be

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Faye, I am trying to help you find it but all I can find, so far, is a true family tree for BME. Is what you are looking for a graphic display, or literature/based?

I found the same info Ken has provided a link to already. Will this link I found, OP Thisismelissa, help you recall, maybe? Try it...I'll keep searching :-)

P.S. Do a search on your computer with key words...if you haven't already..or look under your bookmarked "reading list" material.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old thread on families trees.. hostas planted together

9 years ago

...just some interesting reading...just in case something rings a bell.

Here is a link that might be useful: All listed species of hosta family

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Paul, that was what I was looking for! LOL Ken, I wasn't worried about interbreeding hosta but just needed to know on the origin of some I have to see if there is a pattern of where the little seedlings are coming up from under each plant. It must have been a good year last season as I have them still showing up under at least 10 plants this year and lots of them. Found one today and it has a yellow margin so is a bit different then the "green ones"
    Thanks, Faye

9 years ago

Faye, I went off on a different tangent, but I learned something new...lots of "new"....some terminology. Did you check out the first link? Myrle posted some great pics of some of her "families" in it.

Jo

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jo , yes myrle has such knowledge stuffed into her head concerning hosta and is like a library in there. I get so much help from here almost everyday have learned something new. Remembering it is another story too!

9 years ago

"Ain't that the truth!" Lol. I hear you!

Glad you found what you were looking for. Have a great hosta day! :-)

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

A yellow-margined seedling...Now THAT sounds cool, Faye.

Don B.

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don, I think there may be a whole bunch but too small to tell yet . They are very close to a Tokudama Flavocirialis . The young seedlings from last season have grown large enough to move them to a larger temporary home to grow larger, then I am not sure where they will find homes at. I added another section(again) but if you can imagine, I have nothing to fill it with (YET) This is still in part shade but gets some afternoon sun . No more room in the back yard so moving closer to the road and front yard a bit. Still have to collect some border rocks to hold in the soil

• User
    9 years ago

How cool! Faye, you sure have some cute seedlings. And more beds, moving closer to the road, well, one day you will "top the hill" as a friend of mine said about all her family moving to her hilltop.

Always pleased to find new sources of information. Thanks for asking the Q's and thanks for providing all the A's.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville