Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

Astral Bliss

mosswitch
11 years ago

This is year 2. It was half this size last year amd didn't have any rippling. I love it already!

Sandy

Comments (21)

• User
    11 years ago

Sandy, did not want to knock your thread off the top first thing, but I've held my peace long enough.

Your Astral Bliss reminds me a bit of Awakening Angel. Not an exact duplicate, but has similar leaf shape, a good bit of blueness. However, it is low and seems to want to spread out.
    I think it has a bit of gaucous bloom on the backs? Well, that is one of the things attracted me to Awakening Angel. Which stands up tall and stretches its wings high, like it is really "awakening." My AAngel has lost a lot of its blueness and some of the bloom as well, but it is really pretty and a unique hosta.

I think Astral Bliss is something to locate near Awakening Angel, but want to see if it stands up or tries to lie down too much.Plus its rippling leaves add a nice touch. Maybe a low wide pot would look nice for it. I have AAngel in a taller narrower pot, seems to work for me.

• User
    11 years ago

Forgot that AAngel is now scaping on me. Look at that wee bud in the picture above!!! But you cannot see the general shape of the leaf in that photo, so hang on, I'll do another one...

• paul_in_mn
    11 years ago

A number of vendors at MW convention had Astral Bliss for sale. So I expect not many have it yet. It is a seedling from Don Dean out of Cutting Edge. Don mentioned in his talk that his introductions are evaluated for looking good both early and later in season - so would expect it will hold it's blue color well all season.

Paul

• User
    11 years ago

.....which brings up the question to Sandy, how did you find it? And WHERE did you find it?

So it's another Don Dean....what a great track record the man has. Who was it said that she had good results with Dean plants? Think a she anyway. That statement stuck in my mind.

If it looks good early and late, what more can you ask? Except fertile, fragrant, heavy substance, holds it pattern although colors might change.....that will do for me. I rather like them to change color. Never know what you'll see when you walkabout each morning.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

sound like a name for a NY hooker

ken

ps: not that i know any by name ... lol ..

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It came from Naylor Creek. Was a tossup for me between this and Celtic Dancer, and Astral Bliss won. I do like Don Dean hostas a lot.

So.....Ken, you don't ask their names? Lol!

Sandy

• medabber
    11 years ago

Hmmm, some day I will get a photo of both at the three to four year stage. You may be surprised how NOT like one another they are and which one lays down. I love them both. Similar color but comparison ends there. Awakening Angel is very much like its mother but great blue ... Mikawa-no-Yuki.

Don Dean

• User
    11 years ago

Medabber, would love to see them both in same image especially. I see I must do more research into the heritage of Awakening Angel, which I have, and the other one, Astral Bliss, which is on its way here now. Appreciate your input on the forum.

• medabber
    11 years ago

Awakening Angel side view - will see if I have photo thing figured out on this forum.

Side-by-side in same frame ... how?

• medabber
    11 years ago

Astral Bliss side view. You all may decide for yourself which is more upright. Both are usually bluer at this time of year - prolonged heat - yes, even in MN.

• medabber
    11 years ago

top view ABliss

• medabber
    11 years ago

top view AAngel

• medabber
    11 years ago

basically a Tardianna look with waves and some folding versus a strong kikuttii appearance but blue

• medabber
    11 years ago

Astral Bliss is in considerably more sunny location than Awakening Angel - may help you in comparison.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They don't look much alike at all to me, Don, except for the blue color and the layered look. I like the wavy leaves of Astral Bliss best, that's what drew me to it in the first place. That and the starry-shape of it. It's held up really well in the heat and drought, too. Mine doesn't get much sun except in the early morning.

Thanks for the comparison photos. I am looking forward to seeing mine when it matures, it seems to be a fast grower.

Sandy

• User
    11 years ago

mmmm, I just meant taking a picture with both in it.
    However, now that I think of it, there is a way to show both side by side using the photos in Hosta Library.

With the link below.

I see what you mean about surprising me which is taller or more erect.

Most of my pictures are taken of the top views because I cannot get up if I get DOWN to take a side shot so much. :)
    I see that Astral Bliss is a starburst, and Awakening Angel is like an agave or pointy petaled chrysanthemum bloom. Very regular, not the excited explosion of Astral Bliss.

When ABliss arrives, I'll set its pot beside AAngel. This is the way I observe differences, side by side comparisons.

Thanks for the pictures and the instructional text.

Here is a link that might be useful: Compare Hosta Library pictures

• User
    10 years ago

I'm bringing forward this post about the two hosta Astral Bliss and Awakening Angel. Don Dean posted this here:
    " Posted by medabber 3b (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 21:34

Hmmm, some day I will get a photo of both at the three to four year stage. You may be surprised how NOT like one another they are and which one lays down. I love them both. Similar color but comparison ends there. Awakening Angel is very much like its mother but great blue ... Mikawa-no-Yuki.

Don Dean"

I have both of mine in containers, which are easily moved together. And this is what I saw: Awakening Angel with less upright pets than Astral Bliss. At my house, they are both 2nd year hosta. Time will tell, but right now I say the Astral Bliss is winning the vertical challenge. Both blue, but different leaf shapes.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Astral Bliss, year three. Not finished growing yet, still several immature leaves coming along, blame the late spring. Starting to get that wonderful crinkly look that Don's has.

Sandy

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Last July, purchased at Midwest Convention

Today

No regrets about this impulse buy. I was so excited to see a thread about it I had to go take another picture.

Beverly

• User
    10 years ago

Oooohhhh, Bev, those ornamental potteries you have your hosta in are to die for!

And yes, my Astral Bliss is waving a powder blue leaf in my garden too. In a vertical direction. :)

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Thanks Moccasin, when you only have a few in pots and you have to take them out of the pots for winter, one can afford a nice pot. I pick my up on sale here and there. The dark green one my DH bought me for Christmas in 2011. A nice hosta pot is always a good gift. In fact, I gave my sister one for her Birthday last year. A nice bright blue like McTavish's sister has.

Thanks for the comparrison of AA and AB. Its good to see the side by side.

Sandy - good thread.

Beverly