Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantbug

please post your H Golden Scepter

plantbug
10 years ago

My tag says H Golden Scepter, but I still have questions even after looking at the Hosta Library. Do you have any pics to share?

Comments (7)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

This is uncanny! I was just sniffing at the flowers!!!!
    I have a more pleasing-to-the- eye picture that does not have slug bites, but this pic taken minutes ago has blooms in it. :-) Jo.

I have another out in more sun but because of more sun exposure, some edges are bleached out...still love the way the dark flowers complement the chartreuse leaves.

10 years ago

I thought this pic would serve you better...early in the season, May sometime...this picture would be closer to identify with yours? I hope it's helpful even though this Golden Scepter is older.

FYI: my observations....this one grown on side of house, receiving aftn sun for about a couple of hours as sun swings from east to west. It grows slower, no scorching on leaves, and habit of mound is more open, so to speak.

{{!gwi}}

10 years ago

This happens occasionally, and I don't know why but the pic goes.....where?
    Let me try again.

• plantbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

josephines67, thanks for this help. I am showing a hosta that might be the same as yours? Also, next a pic of the last bloom that just fell off.

• plantbug
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the bloom. You can see the bloom laying apx 7pm on last pic. Funny thing, this is not the hosta I was originally asking about, but didn't know the name to this one either!!!! Thanks again and let me know what you think.

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

One more for you to look at.

10 years ago

Very nice hosta, Plantbug.

I'm afraid I can only make guesses of hosta I grow myself as I'm not good at identifying others. Take heart, someone knowledgeable will help you...chances are, they are helping others as well and we have to line up, so to speak lol lol...we've had a lot of ID posts, me being one of them lol

My Golden Scepter was identified for me as it was originally given to me without a name. The man identifying it was pretty knowledgeable and pretty sure.......now that mine is more mature, two years later.....well, who knows at this point.

My GS has open lobes, they are not heart shaped like Hostahosta's pretty example. Most of the leaves on my plant are more oval than round predominantly. Very few show pinched lobes. The mound drapes rather than cups up, like Hostahosta's. See the differences? It's these kinds of descriptions that assist in identification and a good pic like yours helps.

Anyway, I'm confident someone will come to your rescue too! :-)
    Jo.

For all I know, someone could pipe up and tell me mine isn't GS and I'm back to square one. That happened to me already with So Sweet. I posted a pic and found out it wasn't what I was told it was. With thousands of hosta out there, there comes a lot of guessing and a process of elimination...I am finding that by eliminating certain info, i d gets easier..narrowing things down, so to speak.

There are good pics online, if you want to play the guessing game, while you wait for responses. Good luck and I'll follow your post along.
    :-)