Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting markings on H. 'London Fog'

Posted by josephines67 5 ON (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 10:56

My London Fog is quite attractive this year and really holding the streaks and stippled look well thus far. Yesterday, upon closer scrutiny I noticed about 5-6 leaves bearing a corrugated dark green stripe. I really like the additional interest this stripe is providing.

I've been growing this one for at least three years so am familiar with its transitions (viridescence) throughout the season. However, the addition of the stripe is something new.

LF's parent, Allegan Fog has that dk. grn. stripe as it's margin...could this LF be starting to sport ... Or revert?

Do you have a London Fog? If so, have you experienced the appearance of this stripe?

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting markings on H. 'London Fog'

Hi Josephine,

My experience is that this sport will take over the plant if you do not separate it. Please see our discussion from last year at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta/msg0622220030981.html

o

ConnieMay, thank you! The link you provided is exactly what satisfies my question! I joined the forum two weeks after the thread was generated...would you believe I hadn't run across it during the days...and days...and days of reading back in late June, 2013. Much appreciated!

I am going to see if I have a good eye of this striped section. I would love to save it and grow it on as it is sooo interesting. Otherwise, I think my London Fog is looking good! There is also a large portion that is exhibiting a white thin margin...who knows? If successful in culling, I may end up with three versions of London Fog! What fun!

Thanks again, ConnieMay.

Jo

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 8:06

ConnieMay, I think your London Fog is more than looking good :) My only experience is the teeny sad one I have. And I'm pretty sue I've had it 3 years, lol. Yours is beautiful!

Actually I think I'll pot it and sink the pot into the ground. I have a couple hostas that are happier that way.

o

I think it is great too! I have a tiny one that has barely made it through 3 summers. I also bought another this year and planted next to the Allegan fog figuring it should grow well in the same area. The first one nearly burned up the first summer and it has been in a lot of shade for two years. The nw one is in more sun. My Allegan Fog is wonderful, no fickleness at all.

photo 78fade5c-2be1-4fd4-9387-a46a6e5da44a.jpg

chris

o

Chris, I hope your LF takes off for you. Really lovely Allegan Fog - love the ruffling on the leaves...a couple of them remind me of Golden Meadows' margins.

o

I have a nice full London Fog from Made In The Shade 2013. It stayed streaked/fogged over all last year, and seems to have some form of that look so far this year. I might take a closer look at it tomorrow, now that Jo says hers is coloring up differently. I did not realize it was a family characteristic. I love the horizontal bars striping through the light leaf color.

o

I like it too, Mocc...kind of adds more character...:-) lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here