Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

white petioles and viable seed

can anyone name plants with white petioles ... flower stalks .. like GE.. that actually give viable seed??

does GE give viable seed.. i cant remember??

can you name any other white petiole plants.. pix if you have them .... its usually plants with big white centers ... maybe an undulata????

i also think.. cherry something or another had such.. cherry what???? .. what was the centered version of maraschino cherry .. crikey.. i gotta go ... lol

ken

Comments (13)

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Variegated hostas with leaves that have a white center often have white (or partially white) petioles. You can see a list of white-petioled hostas here. Take this list and compare it to the list of sterile hostas which is posted here. The white-petioled hostas which are not on the sterile hosta list will most likely produce viable seed.

• Lee
    9 years ago

Ken, not sure if Eskimo Pie considered has white petioles? It does has seed pods on it now.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

took me a few hours.. cherry berry ...

thx don..

i wasnt trying to make a list..

i was trying to get these nuts to turn off the computer.. and go take a gander at flower stalks ...

and contemplate why some are sterile...if not all ... and note.. that doesnt mean they do not make pods... it means there is nothing in the pod ...

frankly.. i dont have the patience to compare your two lists ...

anyone.... what hosta THAT YOU HAVE.. has white stalks???

ken

• Lee
    9 years ago

Night before christmas

• User
    9 years ago

I looked at Lakeside Paisley Print, and its petioles are white streaked. It is not on the Sterile Hosta list.

I also note that many of my ventricosa seedpods are white.
    Does that count? It is a fertile hosta. :)

• User
    9 years ago

Oops. My mistake. Ventricosa seedpods are turning green....sigh.

Well, I also noticed that Maya Tritone which changes leaf color, has petioles which change with it. They were sort of green and now they are striped with white...I do not think it is on the sterile list.

I gotta say, having Don Rawson's lists are priceless. All the information contained in each one.....and there are so many.
    I learned something with the Sterile List. Royal Standard and Royal Accolade are reluctant pod donors etc, but Royal Super is not on that list. In fact it seems to be a real honey. So glad I found one this year. It sometimes makes double flowers.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

streakers have streaked petioles... and you always.. get this.. try to note the pods.. attached to white parts.. as those will give the most streaked seedlings.. if they arent all duds ... go figure ... but do grow them all ...

i dont see.. in the EP pic.. that the stalk is white ...

and PP is not streaked.. so that streaked stalk is very confusing.. wonder if mine will flower ...

all i am trying to do.. is take you peeps to the next level of really looking at your hosta ... is it working???

ken

• dg
    9 years ago

I noticed last week that Fire and Ice had a white seed pod so I took a pic.

Viable or not I don't know, but's not on the sterile hosta list anyway...

• User
    9 years ago

Ken, what plant is "pp" initials? I did not see one up there mentioned with "pp".....

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

paisley print de la lakeside

• smorz
    9 years ago

I have an American Sweetheart but I haven't paid close attention to what its doing... last I knew it hadn't even bloomed yet.

• User
    9 years ago

American Sweetheart will bloom in August, according to the MYHOSTAS.BE site. Good, because I'll know to look for the white scapes. How cool is that. Learned something new before I go to bed!

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

I've planted viable seeds from GE and have a GE seedling in the seedling bed right now. I probably won't keep it. The pods were white, but the seeds were black and plump.

Steve