Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is Golden Scepter on Difficult To Grow list???

Posted by josephines67 5 ON (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 11:02

On another thread someone posted a link to THE lists. For curiosity I decided to browse through the Difficult list. I was very surprised and don't understand why GOlden Scepter is listed there!

Can someone please bring me up to speed on this one? I see no mention of any difficulty growing this one in any of my books...would love to hear from those that do, though. Pics are a given, lol.

I obtained a small piece from a relative about 9 years ago. I remember how it sprawled after transplanting but it took off soon enough. I now have four sizeable specimens, all growing very well...first pic potted, the rest planted. Here are the photos, taken just minutes ago.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is Golden Scepter on Difficult To Grow list???

its one of the tiara clan ... i dont know why it would be..

see what they did there.. tiara.. scepter ...

ken

o

Hi, Ken! Tiara, Scepter, - yup! Lol
Exactly! The Tiara clan - what can be difficult about growing one of the easiest and prettiest group of hostas??

Any idea as to how a hosta is arrived at/labelled as "difficult"? How many growers does it take to summarily lump a great (not to mention important) little hosta such as Golden Tiara and her offspring as "difficult"?

I think this is a mistake, is misleading and should be undone. IMHO.

A consensus on this forum would be telling enough, I would think.

Please add your comments. I think this hosta has been erroneously given a bad rap. Agree? Disagree?

o

• Posted by bragu 5a DSM (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 19:25

after gazing at the difficult list … i can see why many are listed … I found love pat to be difficult … a blue … until I moved it into more sun … would not normally do that with a blue … but it is doing nicely … and GE … now that it gets the morning sun only … and hides on the east side of the shady pergola (and gets watered a lot) it is starting to take off.

Think like a hosta, and apply reverse psychology … some of them prefer to be obstinate … perhaps is the axiom here … or not

o

I grow GS and find it easy, has increased steadily, though not giant like the one at Wade and Gatton pictured here. This one had to be at least 30" across.

o

Where do I find the difficult list?? Easy list??

michelle

o

www.hostalists.org

o

there is one tiara that is a weakling on some level .. crystal tiara ...

a limey yellow with white edge ... just not a lot of chlorophyll there to work with ... though it has been hanging on for 20 odds years... its barely a few divisions.. compared to some of the other monster tiara growers ...

ken

ps: yes.. yes.. now i will see pix of giant clumps of it... lol ...

o

Thanks bragu...

o

I do not know why 'Golden Scepter' is on the list of "Difficult-to-Grow Hostas". I will make note to eliminate it. The change will appear when the lists are updated early next year. I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thank you!

o

Thank you, Don! And thank you, everyone else for your comments as well. We've eliminated one from the difficult list! That is good news!

o

I'm sure HH and Newhostalady ask the same question regarding their 'Great Expectations'.

Don B.

o

I hear you, Don B!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here