Good Day Sunshine

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

Good day sunshine, good day sunshine, good day sunshine

I need to laugh and when the sun is out
I've got something I can laugh about
I feel good in a special way
I'm in love and it's a sunny day

Humidity has dropped and temps in the low 80's for a couple days before the high moves out.

Click to hear Good Day Sunshine by The Beatles if you want to listen while viewing pics. Wish the song was a bit longer.

Lakeside San Kao - meant to get this in the garden last year….good thing gardeners don't procrastinate right. Nice big yellow.

Pewterware - filled out a little from May, nice compact blue

Lacy Belle - starting to fill out, not yet mature leaves - waves are coming.

Katie Q - good grower, margins will widen a bit more with maturity.

Americana - may be my favorite darker green with white center, very striking. Outgrown its pot and needs to get planted into the garden soon.

Fried Bananas - love to see your mature of this one, pic anyone? Getting a lot more sun now so should take off.

Hoosier Dome - planted in 2010, waiting for it to break out. Leaves had better cupping and edges last year I think, but overall it is bigger this year.

Last Dance - coming back after moving from shade.

Pandora's Box - so much happier in a pot than it ever was in the ground for me. Beverly, the pied piper of Pandora hopefully will add an updated pic of her PBs in the ground.

Rainforest Sunrise - Happy looking small hosta. Hopefully my clump fills out a bit next year.

Stetson - very different, always has a dry look to the leaves with a filled, folded and compact look. Will move this one in next year or sooner to give Heat Wave and Magic Fire more room and find better contrast. Sometimes I grow them in more light for a few years to get a bigger better plant before finding a final home.

Tidewater, 2nd year small liners - these were really small when I received them (3), two are making decent progress and another year to get to gallon size pots I think. Leaves will get to 12"x6" and a powdery blue clump at 40" wide. Gotta dream I guess on these - will make a nice before and after eventually…lol.

Thanks for looking. Please add your pics.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: HL: Tidewater

Comments (7)

• irawon
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for the introduction to Americana, Paul...love the dark green and white contrast. I hope it's not too big to fit in somewhere.

I agree with you on Katie Q being a good grower. I only planted mine in 2011 and she doing well despite the tree roots.

• irawon
    10 years ago

That's good advice about growing hostas in more sun and then finding a permanent home. I did that with Rainforest Sunrise (accidentally) but moved it to too much shade this spring. I don't like mine where it is now, so I'm moving it again next year. I like the shade of yellow in yours. How much light does yours get?

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irawon - Americana (Loyalist sport) is listed as M sized in Myhostas database, thought much smaller so far for me. Nice Rainforest Sunrise - love the texture, I have mine in high shade north edge of my Oaks.

Paul

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

Paul - I'm so jealous that you have the space to grow all your beautiful hosta. You wanted to see a mature Fried Banana - how about a drift of mature Bananas. I hope I get a "Fragrant Bouquet" this year......

• User
    10 years ago

Oh my, those Fried Bananas are breathtaking. I am back to zero with mine. The 3d year plant I had coming on strong this spring was gorgeous, and then came down with a mosaic virus. Broke my heart because I'd adored that gold fragrant beauty.

Here it is, not really mature, but beefing up nicely anyway.
    And then it was stricken with the uglies.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Donna, thanks for the pic, very nice - wouldn't that be a bunch of bananas ;-). I'm running out of space - though my DW keeps allowing me to expand my garden domain.

Moc, also thanks for the pics - tough to loose a hosta, especially when they look that nice and big.

Paul

• irawon
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply, Paul. I will move my Rainforest to more light. Nothing in my gardens gets to the size it should because of root competition but that also means I can squeeze more plants in the space I have. I have Pewterware but have never been able to capture its unusual colour with my camera as you have.

Nice looking Bananas, DD. Lucky you, you don't appear to have any pests.

Mocc, sorry to hear you lost your FB... it was coming along so nicely...absolutely glowing in the sun.