Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sm4657

I'm a newbie....HVX?

sm4657
10 years ago

This is my true first year of getting into hostas....I bought this hosta at a garden center, and was called Pauls Glory...and now I wonder if it has hvx? I potted it and I don't want to add it to my other hostas as it just doesn't look right....
Can any of you hvx experts tell me what you think?

Comments (17)

• sm4657
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another pix....

• sm4657
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, and a third....

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

It's hard to tell. Can you get a closeup of the leaf at about 8 o'clock in that picture. Also a closeup of the leaf at 6 o'clock would also be helpful.

Paul's Glory does do some color change, so it's a hard one to diagnose. But leaf closeups will help. Did you buy this from a local neighborhood nursery or from a big box store?

Steve

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I can't tell because the photos are not clear. Based on the first photo, I'd say no. If the vein is the correct color, then it's not HVX, as Chris has explained. In the case of Paul's Glory, the veins should be yellow, yellow-green or white/cream. If the dark/bright green color is between the veins, then it's not probably not HVX. If that dark/bright green is on the veins and bleeding out into the lighter colored area between the veins, then it could be HVX.

So, give us some close up shots that are in focus if you can. If you're having trouble making your camera do that, set it to the highest resolution and then use a photo program to zoom in on the leaf. (Google has a free one.)

bk

• sm4657
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Geez....I bought so many hostas this year....I think it was a local gardening center, but then I did buy some at a big box store (Menards). So, I'm not sure which one I bought where....
    I tried to get a better close up, but my cheapie camera won't take a closer picture in focus.

I so appreciate all your help. My new hosta garden is really big, so maybe I should plant it this fall far away from everything else, and keep my spades, and tools disinfected after using them around this hosta....all my other hostas look fine.....hmmmm.

This is my new garden in progress.....

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

This might help. Here's one that was declared not infected. I also used test strips and it was clean.

bk

• sm4657
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! That looks exactly like the one I have....The test strips are expensive, especially if I used it on just one hosta.....Maybe I will have to be careful, and after I plant it this fall, (far from the others) next year it might look better.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

sm4657,

If you want to be careful with that Hosta, put it in a pot and not in your garden. Treat it normally, but wash your tools with 10% bleach and water if you work with it, like cutting scapes or repotting.

Steve

• User
    10 years ago

What a nice looking hosta garden you are creating.

Instead of putting this one in the ground, where it will contaminate the soil for an undetermined length of time, I suggest you leave it in a pot in an out of the way location, and not use ANY of your tools with it. Sometimes it takes a while for the symptoms to show, and you might forget why that hosta is so isolated. When I suspected HVX with my hosta, I put a QUARANTINE sign on it. I did not touch the plants, until I ran a HVX test on them. Thankfully, it was clean, no infection. Of course, it could have another kind of virus, and keeping it isolated until it self destructs or gets so ugly you have to put it out of its misery. In that case, having it in a cheap nursery pot will be no loss to toss the whole works.

• ademink
    10 years ago

I would bet my OS Dorothy Benedict that isn't HVX ;D

Paul's Glory does that. And you'll notice it's "bleeding" color in BETWEEN the veins...not on the veins. You're ok.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

By the way, Newbie. I still have a little piece of that plant and it looks fine this year. My new dog went on a hosta rampage last summer. She unpotted all the young ones and gave them all the death shake. They were so messed up, that I couldn't tell what they were. So, I just stuck everything in a pot.

I found a piece of that plant in the pot with another. How it got there, I have no clue. This is all that's left of it, but it looks fine.

Plant it and go on down the road.

bk

• sm4657
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You people are awesome....again thank you so much for the info...

Ademink...you are too funny! Thanks for putting a smile on my face today!

The hosta garden I am TRYING to create is larger than the picture shows...actually the picture is only half of the garden....there are 3 old large pine trees in a row (maybe 40 yrs old?) so I could plant that Pauls Glory far away from the rest and put a sign beside it to remind me....I have to keep signs on each one I plant cuz I would never remember who is who.....some that I have planted are Sun Power, Guacamole, Earth Angel, Blue Mammoth, and Blue Hawaii, then at a local garden center (a private one) they had a pretty good sized Jurassic Park...I put that in the back....

Then my neighbor down the road (I live in the country) has a 3-4 yr. old Sagae she said I could have.....I think I will wait until fall/ spring and transplant that...

You people have been so helpful and I read all the info on this forum site....without this forum....my hosta garden would be in a sad state of affairs.....

Geez this is addicting! :)

• sm4657
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a better picture of my garden..... it still doesn't show it all........this is the other half anyway...under that pine tree, I had divided an old June hosta and planted each half under the tree...that is what got me started....ahhh this is what happens when a person retires.....:)

{{!gwi}}

• sm4657
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Opps here is the picture...hmmmm the pic doesn't want to show up....

This post was edited by sm4657 on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 10:54

• User
    10 years ago

SM, that is a fine bed for your hosta.

And BKAy, your pot of hosta mixed up pieces.....so that is the Cleo Cocktail blend....they are real survivors!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Actually, I was dividing the old green one this spring (it wasn't part of Cleo's rampage) and found a piece of root laying close by. I figured it was just part of that NOID, so I stuck it there. Then when it was fully up, I thought I had a sport. It sits close to my new Paul's Glory, so I quickly figured it was the remnant of that one I bought labeled as Forbidden Fruit. Chris of Hallson's ID'd it as PG, and said they react with the uglies to stress and it didn't have HVX. Then, I bought the strips and tested it.

I still don't know where it came from, as Cleo's rampage was late last summer and that piece showed up early this spring. Who knows?

bk

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

There is still the possebility that funny mottling is caused not by HVX but by some other virus, so the test could be negativ because it does only register HVX. I dont know Pauls glory, so perhaps thats typical for this cultivar. In general I find this mottling worrying. You could check out Hallsons web site, there is a HVX forum, could give you a better idea what to look for. Still, fingers crossed and good luck, bye Lin

Here is a link that might be useful: HVX FORUM