Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

White Feather Boa

Considering adding WFB to my hosta garden...but it's pricey.
I DID find an old thread from May, 2010. Without re-inventing the wheel, I'm wondering if it has improved significantly for anyone in the last three years and would you recommend it?
Thank you for your time and opinion.
Jo

Comments (12)

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Maybe just 'White Feather'? 'Feather Boa' is quite different and appears to be rather prolific. I was recently gifted with a 'White Feather', a wee weakly little thing, and before I got it home it tipped over in the car and broke two of its very few little leaves! So I'm looking forward to updates here as well.
    Jan

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I'm confused... I know the Russ O'Harra plant from the 90s called Feather Boa... ripply yellow little plant...

and White Feather... one of the very white changing to streaky selections from undulata...

but I've not heard of White Feather Boa...

I don't have Feather Boa... I grew a similar plant, the parent Subcrocea for a lot of years, but in the last couple it dwindled and disappeared... too bad, cool look.

and I don't grow White Feather, though after lots of years of removing solid sports, I can say Kiwi Spearmint is a cute, messy little mound...

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jan...thanks for catching that..I meant White Feather..sorry about the confusion folks. I heard about it last year and can't seem to get it out of my mind...

Checked photo of Kiwi Spearmint...it IS a little cutie...I like the way you add in additional info, Idiothe...I haven't failed yet to look up a plant you've suggested or liked. Expanding one's horizons so to speak lol

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Jo,
    If you're talking about White Feather, I wouldn't recommend it. Yes, it's very interesting when it first appears in spring (see pic), but MAN the bugs just devour it to bits. Once it begins its coloration to the green hosta it will be the rest of the season, its really quite plain, and still full of little bug holes. I've had mine probably 5 years and still not impressed but I don't have the kahunas to throw the poor little thing away.

Don't know a thing about Feather Boa, sorry.

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

Hi Jo,
    Riverbend Gardens in Ontario has it listed for $20.
    Vanessa

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Vanessa! Good to know!

• idiothe
    10 years ago

If you like the pure white look...another one to look at... I have had no trouble with Grey Ghost. Comes up white... fun novelty... they turns grey-green for the rest of the season which makes it strong enough to come back the next year...

Original Author
    10 years ago

Photo of your Grey Ghost available, by any chance svp?

• idiothe
    10 years ago

Grey Ghost is an unusual Blue Angel sport... comes up that pale cream... this shot from 2011 was just a little past the pure cream stage as the green was starting to develop.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

I'd suggest either Grey Ghost or London Fog for that white look in the spring. London Fog can be a larger plant but is a very slow grower for me, so it will have a similar size. Starts out white than this, but was chomped by the rabbits early.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Eleven...I happen to have a London Fog and mine is a slow grower too, only in its second year. It's lovely, isn't it, when it's emerging.

My daughter and I are both interested in getting one. We'll see.... :-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Daughter picked up White Feather, I did not...I'll just admire hers in the spring! :-)
    ...but I picked up seven others... Lol ...just like potato chips...you can't just have ONE.
    Thank you, Everyone, for your time and comments. :-)
    Jo

P.S. Hostanista, your photo is imbedded in my mind..when I next recall White Feather, that beautiful photo will pop up.