Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

S&S Emergency (HVX?)

hostanista
10 years ago

This appeared virtually overnight on one leaf of Sum and Substance. Is it what I think it is?

Comments (17)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i dont know..

do you think its what I think it is???

ken

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Where did the plant come from? It's really hard to tell if it's virus. It could be just sun scald.

Steve

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smart alec.

If you think it's HVX then yes I think its what you think I think it is.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The plant is a division from a friend, planted last season. Been in her garden for years. I'll check with her to see if her remaining clump has shown any similar markings. Is it possible for just one leaf to have sun scald when the whole plant is subjected to same amount of sun?

• idiothe
    10 years ago

sun scald on S&S usually shows up first as a case of "dry skin" - more parchmenty damage... I'm not actually good at HVX spotting versus some of the odd pigmentation things that happen in later season hostas... so...

The one hallmark of HVX I hear mentioned is color bleed across the veins. We do have one vein that is miscolored... the on part where the vein is green against the yellowed background. Perhaps others with more expertise can be more conclusive.

In the meantime...

I wouldn't jump to conclusions - it's not an emergency as long as you take proper steps not to spread it to your other plants if it does prove to be virused.

10 years ago

got a male dog???

ken

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I"m certainly no expert, but it doesn't look like HVX to me. In the link below is a photo of what HVX looks like on S&S. On lighter hosta, the symptom of HVX usually is "ink bleed" with a darker color along the veins. Yours looks bleached.

If I was really concerned, I would post it to Chris' HVX forum on their nursery site. He might check in with us and see your post here, though.

http://www.perennialnursery.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=63

bk

Here is a link that might be useful:

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OH MY GOD KEN YOU'RE A GENIUS. (I bet you hear that all the time, right? ; )

YES I HAVE A MALE DOG. A BIG MALE DOG. AND HE PEES. A LOT.

Fingers crossed (legs crossed) that it's nothing more than a big old pee blotch!

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

My gosh is that a cute dog. We use to have a female cockapoo that was more cock them poo( DH said) who looked just like him. Must be the big black nose May have to tie his leg down Hostanista lol Your's looks like a sheep dog tho?
    Not sure about the hosta

This post was edited by almosthooked on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 13:15

10 years ago

smell it.. and the soil... you ought to know the fragrance...

if it were me... being right handed... i would grab that leaf with my left hand.. track the petiole down as far as i could with my right .. and rip that sucker right out of there ...

then train fido

ken

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Is that the guy who blamed the chewed up, blue bucket on the squirrel? I think he's the culprit.

Don B.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don B - what a memory! He's one and the same.

For those who don't know what Don's talking about:

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL Can't forget that face! : )

Don B.

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

I had a similar spot on Sum of All a few years back. I sent a pic to Dr. Lockhart who told me it was a genetic abnormality.

Never saw the spot again.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Yeah, Dan got my Step-son last year. It was really nasty looking. I moved some bigger ones to the edges, so he would go on the pots, not the hosta. That's a distinct advantage to growing in pots.

bk

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

That is exactly what I had seen on all of the S&S new plants being sold by the local Ace Hdwe chain store this spring. I'd inquired about it here on GWHF but had to explain it verbally since I had no pics of the Ace sales hostas. If I recall I had asked if HVX in S&S could bleed the lighter color.

Some time later someone else posted pictures of S&S with the same issue.

I am not saying a large dog couldn't be the cause in this case. But there is WAY too much coincidence that the condition is showing up in many parts of the country on the shelves of mass marketed spring sales displays like HD, Ace, etc. The ones I'd seen were inside one of the portable 'greenhouses' they put up in spring to protect the plants being sold.

It would seem to preclude dog pee, sun scorch, frost or freeze damage and so forth. I would love to see how a report reads after testing. And still ask, can an HVX infected hosta bleed a lighter color in a solid color hosta like that?

I have a very mature S&S that I can take my own divisions from that is quite healthy. I would NEVER buy one that showed what I'd seen this spring, and I did report it to Ace.
    Other varieties of hosta at the store showed HVX-like symptoms but not as severe looking as the S&S.

By the way, I'd checked the 100 or so S&S newbies at our local nursery and none showed the discoloration. He buys a lot of his hostas from Q&Z and I feel Zillis is very careful. My local owner and I have had conversations about HVX and he is quite aware and knowing about it. He has the most impressive business I have seen. In other words, he is really good and I trust him.

Theresa

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I have a beautiful h.'Dancing Queen' with two square white spots on the yellow leaves. It is good to know that they might not be HVX. Otherwise I have two 'August Moon' which now have dark green spots on their yellow leaves, one looking like bleeding. Though I tested them in spring for HVX and they were not yet positive, perhaps now, need to buy more strips. Darn!
    Bernd

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio