Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostacats

help ID

hostacats
9 years ago

Can anyone identify what this dark greenish blue hosta is?? It would be a popular one. Omit the broken leaves, it was stepped on in the spring. Beside him is gold standard.

Comments (9)

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

She looks like Halcyon to me.

Steve

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Isn't halcyon much smaller??? This is a bigger plant stands bigger up to my knees anyway and about2 feet wide.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Halcyon is listed as a 'medium', whatever that means, but can get pretty darn large. I've seen pics of such on this very forum : )

Don B.

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK that's just seems weird to me because I have halcyon in the backyard and all three seem to be low less than a foot ground covers kind of. OK does it depend on sun??? The back just get dappled sun, and the front where this big one is gets the early morning sun until about 200 pm. Strange but you guys are the experts not me, that's why I ask.

michelle

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Halcyon in the backyard all have their tags and they all say halcyon tardiana hosta. One even says great for borders. There are more in this family then??
    I did look up images of halcyon and yes they can get big, but, some images were still on the smaller side.
    I think I will go with Halcyon then........

michelle

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Oh not me, Michelle, I'm not an expert. I'm just an enthusiast. I just know what I've seen. I'm trying to remember who posted the pic(s) of their great big Halcyons. I can't find the thread.

Was it Squirejohn? Harryshoe? Now I'm real curious; I'll keep looking for it.

EDIT: Harryshoe is the guy whose Halcyons these are! I saved the pic, I liked it so much. Beautiful, Harry.

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 21:29

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don you have helped me out a lot so far and its only been a few weeks. I am already able to recognize a few on my own....a few. All others on here are great helpers too....I love coming on here.
    AND it looks like I will be in trouble from the Halcyon come a few years. I thought the ones in the back were going to stay tiny they haven't done much. I found out they are slow growers, but sheesh. that means the three I thought were small border plants won't be in the long run??
    Learn something everyday....and its a good thing.

Michelle

Thanks guys

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I'm with you, Michelle.

"Some people live and learn, some just live."

G.D. King (1888-1967)

bk

• hostacats
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BK I am learning lots on here, I am amazed at the knowledge all you people know. That will be me in years to come I hope. I'm walking around my backyard like I do every evening and I see possibilities all over where hostas can go. I am trying some in sun, but because it is already july I am protecting them with pots in front so that they are shaded mostly and away from direct sun.
    I have no idea if this is going to work or if I am just dooming my new hostas. What I tried in sun is Abiqua moonbeam, captain kirk, American halo and grand slam. All won't be getting direct sun this year I made sure of that. Now should I try this or remove them???