Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

A Simple Vase with Hosta Leaves

I was surprised to see that the leaves I had cut from my June hosta (for a contest) could last for so long in a vase. So three weeks (after cutting the leaves off) I was having dinner guests. I went out and cut a flower stalk and added it to the three June leaves for my centerpiece. What do you think?

I would have liked to take a photo with more of the vase showing, but my dinner guests were arriving any minute!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Leaf Contest

Comments (19)

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

Very pretty! I'm amazed it lasted so long! Simple and perfect.

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

Your arrangement immediately made me think of trilliums. Very pretty, and it's amazing to know how long lived the leaves are once they are cut. I wonder why hosta leaves are not commonly featured in commercial floral arrangements?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I cut hosta leaves on a regular basis when I make bouquets for the outdoor patio table and they last for weeks! I have Ginsu knife in with delphiniums...the Delphs are done but the leaf is still pristine!

Congratulations on winning the leaf contest, NHL!!! I was away and missed the exciting post! Very lovely arrangement...stunning in its simplicity!

Jo

• santamiller
    9 years ago

How original! Your hosta behind and on the left caught my eye. What is that?

• User
    9 years ago

Really striking centerpiece, NHL.
    I had an order arrive with some broken pets, so I finished them off and put the leaves in a vase on the dining table. They were attractive for a very long time. The petioles must draw up the water regardless of where it comes from.

When a leaf breaks off accidentally or through a falling tree branch, it would be a shame to waste it. Worth the effort to bring it inside to enjoy while it lasts.

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

Very very nice!

I sometimes use hosta leaves in mixed bouquets instead of or in addition to ferns. I never did as you have here but surely will in the future.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Surya55, thank you for the compliment. I think the key word you mentioned is "simple." I believe that there is elegance in simplicity.

Anniegolden, it was difficult for me to cut my hosta leaves. But now we know how long they can actually last! Your question about why hosta leaves are not commonly featured in commercial floral arrangements is a good one. Maybe someone else has an answer for that.

Thanks Jo for the congrats! So you make hosta leaf arrangements regularly? I would love to see your arrangements. Any chance you could take a picture next time and share with us?

Santamiller, the hosta on the left is Atlantis. I have a picture of it posted in the thread "top ten in your garden: 2014."

Thank you Moc! I am glad you did not waste the precious leaves that had been broken off. I agree with your statement: "Worth the effort to bring it inside to enjoy it while it lasts." And you can always have a look in your garden to see if you may have a flower or anything else to add to it!

Old dirt---so you have added hostas leaves to your mixed floral arrangement, but never thought you could simply use hosta leaves? Well I never thought of adding hosta leaves to my floral arrangements. So that makes us even!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here are a couple of pictures that I found and liked with hosta leaves. The first is from Martha Stewart.

Original Author
    9 years ago

This second picture is from www.pinterest.com. Isn't that a great idea to add a hosta leaf to the inside of a glass vase?

Original Author
    9 years ago

So what do you think of the photos?

• hostacats
    9 years ago

I think this is all so cool.....I would have always been too scared to cut at my hostas too, but what you have done is awesome. I even like the hosta leaf in a glass vase effect.

Michelle

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

martha learned that trick while she was in the slammer â¦

i like her stuff ⦠mostly

yeah ⦠well ⦠what can i say?

dave

Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave, I like Martha Stewart and her creations too (mostly!), but many times, I just don't find them to be that simple. When looking at the above photo, I think I now see that two different hosta are used for her arrangement---a green edged one and a white edge one. And I certainly have never seen a container like the one shown. I feel the second picture is something I could do. So my vote is for picture #2!

Michelle, I too won't be merrily cutting leaves off my hosta to make arrangements, as some are too pretty to remove leaves from! But now and then. . .

• hostacats
    9 years ago

It would have to be an important occasion to cut leaves off.......mind you at the lake its a different story....because we aren't out there much, that's my pleasure for when I am there....hosta beds keep getting bigger out there too!! hehehehe

michelle

Original Author
    9 years ago

"It would have to be an important occasion to cut leaves off." I absolutely understand Michelle! Maybe one day you will find some wild flowers at the lake and experiment with adding a few hosta leaves to it.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Very beautiful pics, everyone...Here is a simple vase with OVERKILL!!!

Don B.

• old_dirt 6a
    9 years ago

All very nice pictures here. LOL@ "overkill" Don but it is really quite nice. Wonder if anyone can name the hostas they all came from, beside the person that did it.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Funny, Don! LOL

Old dirt, you and I were thinking alike. I started trying to figure out what hosta I could identify by their leaves! Perhaps Don will start a game? A few have me puzzled!

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Wow don I like your hosta leaves in the vase and I won't be participating because I won't know any but I'll sure read about it.

michelle