Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
empress wu or not??

Posted by hostacats zone 3b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 11:35

This is supposed to be an empress wu...is it mistaken identity???? If its not what do you think it could be??? Its three years old

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: empress wu or not??

Here's a pic of mine in its first year and third year, look similar. That leaf tip is still there. Though in 3 years I would think the leaves would be wider. It should really take off size wise.

Paul

o

Here is my year 3 Wu, Michele..... She's gonna big a really big girl when she grows up. Give this one plenty of room.
 photo IMG_1867_zps2ae8ea55.jpg

DD

o

My Empress Wu was planted in 2008. The first few years not so much, but now it is starting to get some size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Empress Wu progression photos

o

Ok great...then this is a wu just in its juvenile stages.

o

Cat, Your 'Wu' has narrower leaves and shows variegation that the other Wu's shown and my Wu don't have. I have to say I think your Wu is a usurper, a nice looking one, but, I do think it is not a Wu.

Jon

o

i am not sure i am with johnny on variegation.. might just be a camera trick ...

and all giants look weird for 3 to 5 years... i am not sure i could rule in.. or rule out a given name ...

but of course.. we can have fun.. year to year.. seeing who is right or wrong ...

ken

o

Ok Jon and Ken I can take more pictures and post them or keep thinking for now that it is a wu and see what happens next year.

michelle

o

Michelle, I don't see the problem, enjoy the one you have and put a Wu down as a future addition.

Jon

o

What is usurper mean?? Hosta language?? Darn..... I am just on lunch from work, so will try to remember to take later pictures and try again, but I agree the leaves on my wu are too narrow compared to the others.

Michelle

o

It's a good word in the case of Empress Wu, that Ken used.
Like the movie MAN IN THE IRON MASK (Leonard DeCaprio) who substituted or doubled as the king. (Actually he was the TWIN of the king, but he wasn't THE king, even though he was the "good guy"....did you see that movie?)

So here is the definition. Gotta just love words. There's one for every occasion. :)

DEFINITIONS OF: usurper. n one who wrongfully or illegally seizes and holds the place of another.

Therefore, Ken says that the hosta you have is USURPING THE THRONE of Empress Wu. Whole lot of drama going on in your garden, Michelle! :)

o

Damn I wanted a WU!!! So what do you guys think this is then??? I'm going out to take new pictures.

Michelle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here