Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2014 Draft

Posted by leaflover76 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 11:36

My drafts for 2014:

Some have been planted already cuz I had holes ready for them. Others are still in pots cuz I now have to make my fence bed bigger.

Hollywood Lights
Hollywood Lights photo HollwoodLights.jpg

Jewel of the Nile
Jewel of the Nile photo JeweloftheNile.jpg

Journey's End
Journey's End photo JourneysEnd.jpg

Mighty Mouse (my first mouse)
Mighty Mouse photo MightyMouse.jpg

Rainforest Sunrise
Rainforest Sunrise photo RainforestSunrise.jpg

Spartacus
Spartacus photo Spartacus.jpg

Spilt Milk (looks promising with all that milk)
Spilt Milk photo SpiltMilk.jpg

Sugar & Spice (very shiny)
Sugar & Spice photo SugarampSpice.jpg

Summer Breeze
Summer Music photo SummerBreeze.jpg

The Razor's Edge
The Razor's Edge photo TheRazorsEdge.jpg

Vulcan
Vulcan photo Vulcan.jpg

Winter Warrior
Winter Warrior photo WinterWarrior.jpg

Brother Stephan
Brother Stephan photo BrotherStephan.jpg

Marilyn Monroe (was undecided on this one for years but at $5, I grabbed her)
Marilyn Monroe photo MarilynMonroe.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2014 Draft

Leaflover, what a nice round of draft choices.
Cannot find a mis-chosen plant in the bunch.

You will soon discover the fine qualities of Marilyn Monroe. It will have nice pinky petioles, a white back to the leaves which shows the ruffles on the petticoat....oops, she doesn't wear any! sorry I misspoke... but it is a thoroughly feminine hosta. It has good substance too, although not a rugose hosta.

This taken June 18, 2014. I might put her in more sun for the golden look she had last year. She is with Nancy and Dancing Queen.
20140618_084626

Thanks for sharing your new players.

o

Great picks! My favourites from your new additions are Hollywood Lights, Journey's End, Brother Stephan and Sugar and Spice. My dad has a Sugar and Spice that is to die for :)

photo IMG_1442_zps9213bc91.jpg

Vanessa

o

Leafover and Hippieindenial,
Invincible has really served me well over the years proving to be an extremely reliable and attractive hosta.The Sugar and Spice, therefore, grabbed my attention. Great looking plants!
BC

o

Looks like a banner year for draft picks. I, on the other hand, was rendered ineligible for being out of bounds (as in no space) and did not participate in the draft. Although, when winter damage of some other plants became apparent, I did manage to pick up 5 players in a trade for cash.

tj

This post was edited by tsugajunkie on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 21:25

o

• Posted by mbug 6 NJ (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 21:28

Always best to build through the draft....great additions to your lineup!

o

TJ, I gather the ones you picked up for cash were free agents then.

BCHosta, I know what you mean about Invincible being a workhorse hosta. That and Invincible Spirit, one or the other, look to be responsible for two that I like....both fragrant.

Dan Patch from the Savory nursery in MN. 7/7/14
20140707_192418

White Triumphator has that look too...only....I cannot believe I did not take its picture today, I was looking right at it. I got two from Glenbrook this spring. I'll do it tomorrow for sure. Sorry..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here