Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Captain's Adventure revisited

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

Earlier this season I posted and lamented the drawstring on Captain's Adventure and how it doesn't look like the photo every site used(link below) to sell this hosta.

Here's earlier pic

......and CA now. I tossed Lunar Eclipse for similar leaves, though CA seems to flush more leaves and grow better. Maybe I'll yank the early leaves and see how it looks. Have this planted in a very prominent spot with morning sun....may have to hide this one in shade somewhere and wait for better days.

Here's Lunar Eclipse - best pic I had of this one. Very similar look and feel to CA.

Lastly, here is my CA that was all green and seller replaced.....has a nice glow and form.

What do you think? Got any thoughts for locations to limit drawstring?

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (20)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

How about this spot?

Steve

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Wow, it doesn't look anything like the sellers pic. Good to know as I don't need another look alike and based on the sellers pic I may very well have ordered that plant.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Here's mine as of 6/30. I took pics on Sunday but can't remember what it looked like then. Thinking it needs more sun next year.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Wow...sounds like you have a good plan...give that captain a demotion and send him on an adventure deeper in the shade! If that doesn't work, there's always Steve's pot.

Too many other beautiful and agreeable hostas to turn to!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Paul, I don't think that's the same plant that they are showing on the HL and Eleven has. They don't show a white edge.

bk

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Shucked a good handful of leaves, mostly the ones in middle and up high. We'll see in a week how it looks.

We've been spoiled with the rains here - pulled out the hoses for watering today. Only had to water pots a couple of times all season and the gardens not at all until this week.

Paul

• User
    10 years ago

Paul, here's my Captain's Adventure in June, beside Erie Magic. They are mostly in shade, with some broken shade on occasion.

The picture enticed me to buy it. (Sort of the same reason I wanted Yang too.) Looks gorgeous, but not in real life. Mine is doing "okay" without being a problem or a stand out either.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bk, margin changes colors sort of like hanky panky - here's a pic the year I got it in August with a variety of margin colors...take your pick.

And about color from Myhostas.be....Interesting sport from H. 'Captain Kirk' that goes through changes...greenish-yellow leaves and the border turns white.

Steve, that may work - will it overwinter ok...lol.

Paul

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

My sister refers to hers as Captain's Misadventure, with the accent on Mis. I took this picture July 3rd.

-Beverly

• Eleven
    10 years ago

bk, when I got it my plant also looked like the "before" pic that Paul posted. It looked bleached and kind of mottled. I think maybe this one just needs more sun to bring on the color change.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I still don't think I want one. Thanks for the warning.

bk

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

Here's one of mine, one shot from 28 April which really shows the drawstring effect and is starting to give hints of the colour changes...

...and this second shot from 28 June that shows the progression of the changes and how the newer leaves are beginning to come in differently. This one if in full sun, I wanted to grow it out and put growth rate over best appearance for this year. Next year it'll go into a different location with hardly any direct sun and hopefully that'll result in far less drawstring effect.

Pieter

• Gesila
    10 years ago

Not sure I'd put CA on the top of any lists. I usually can only manage to get one half-way decent picture of it every year.

Gesila

• TheHostaCottage
    10 years ago

I love Captain's Adventure, even if it doesn't look exactly like the original photo of the plant. From the one's I've seen in person, it really depends on the location it's growing in. I really love Phil's and Gesila's.

Here's mine (zone 5b):

Here's my dad's (5 hours away) in more sun and warmer climate (zone 6):

We bought them at the same place.

Vanessa

This post was edited by hippieindenial on Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 19:16

• Windhaven
    10 years ago

I too fell for the Hosta in the stock photo and ordered one. Mine looked so bad I thought it had the virus (much like several of the photo's some of you posted) and I confess I rounded it up. Very fugly.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

A little late to the party but here's mine from a few days ago.

Karen

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I donated the second picture in original post above to the Hosta Library - a fair depiction I think that shows drawstring on early leaves and no drawstring on later emerging leaves.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: HL: Captain's Adventure

• User
    10 years ago

Paul, that is an admirable thing you did, to send that picture in to the HLibrary. Folks have no clue what is ahead of them if they are buying, as so many have including myself, from that knock-out picture of the plant.

Maybe mine won't have the drawstring, because it is mostly shaded. However, it is not growing quickly. It is on my "do not replace" list, should it fail to emerge from dormancy, or get a bad case of southern blight.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

You know, it's not THAT bad...give you my address..you can get rid of it ...lol
    I'm not crazy about it, but wouldn't pitch it either...I read that if you restrict some sunlight, plunk it in the shade, it limits drawstring effect....I don't have one but did buy Barbara Ann only because of blue n white + drawstring...saw a beauty online which prompted the buy.

• paul_in_mn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo, seems to me we should be able to describe what a hosta looks like and expect some repeatability. The sales picture was stunning - which mine was probably closest to in the first year, but still very different. As it has matured, it has never looked like the sales picture. It seems interesting that no new pics have been added to the HL - most likely because collectors are having similar results to what I've had. Anyone notice any seller mentioning that it drawstrings in their description?

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: