Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Solid Greens

Posted by hostahosta Z6OH (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 11:41

I mentioned in another post that I like solid (dark) greens to put in between my variegated hosta. Since I have no grass upon which to rest the eye, I really rely on solid colored hosta to provide that resting spot. Mocc suggested I start a thread on the solid green ones. As I started thinking of pics to post, I realized I have more in this category that I realized. But still looking for more. Please join in and post your solid green ones!

First is Nightlife. Don't think I've heard mention of this one on the forum. It's a nice dark green, with pretty shaped leaves. Scapes up, no flowers yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Solid Greens

Found this big specimen of Fortunei Hyacinthina late last year and couldn't pass it up. Dark green and corrugated.

o

kikutii, not so dark, but still solid green, long, shiny, lance shaped leaves, gorgeous flowers in Sept. I got this one as a gift plant from when my garden group visited Wade and Gatton! Didn't have a clue what I had when I got it.

o

Of course Invincible is a must. Fragrant flowers. I just moved mine and it now sits in between Color Glory, Morning Star, Heat Wave, and Queen Josephine. Really needed the dark rippled green in that spot!

o

Lakeside Ripples, large, elegant ripples, Got this in 2012 from Naylor Creek on the Hosta Library auction. Really love it. Reminds some of Niagara Falls, which I also have. I find LR to have much larger leaves, and to be taller, and leaves held more horizontally.

o

One Man's Treasure. Solid green and red petioles and dark purple scapes and flowers in Sept. From 2012, reaching a nice size this year. Was slow to get going.

o

montana macrophylla. A really big, but unassuming presence. Nice back drop to medium variegated hosta.

o

The Razor's Edge, small, long narrow leaves. red petioles.

o

I also use solid green companions. Hellebores leaves get darker and darker through the season and go nicely with my hosta.

Bring on your greens!

o

Everyone knows that I love my Grape Fizz - a big "Chunky Monkey" hosta that is glossy and pristine. Slugs won't go near this one. It flowers in early September with blooms that look like hyacinths.
 photo IMG_1771_zps377ff79d.jpg

photo 003_zps8c4480bb.jpg

DD

This post was edited by DonnaDelaware on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 12:51

o

Frisian Waving Steel, medium sized, the blue-green leaves are extremely thick and rippled. The plant is young, I expect great things for the coming years.
 photo Lake_zps8a511c46.jpg

Clear Fork River Valley, ...I have no words, I can just admire its beauty.
 photo CFRV_zps8695e27f.jpg

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:38

You have a nice selection of greens! Although your Fortunei Hyacinthina might be mismarked. I don't think they get that much corrugation. Here is a pic of my mature plant:

2013 Hyacinthina in mid July photo HostaHyacinthina2013-0714.jpg

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:41

Irish Luck, second year in my garden:

photo HostaIrishLucklarge2014-0611-01.jpg

photo HostaIrishLucklarge2014-0611-02.jpg

o

Hostahosta, from your beauties, the ones that winked at me were Lakeside Ripples and Montana macrophyla! Very, very lovely greens.

DelawareDonna, Grape Fizz can only be associated with you! Lol :-) I love that hosta of yours! It's preening, just look at those exquisite flowers and leaves!

LUUK, amazing photography of equally amazing hostas! FWS just made it to top of my list, followed by CFRV - must haves! It's photos like these that tip us over the edge. Sure worked for me!!! Thanks!

Oops, almost forgot to post my pic, lol....was blinded by all these photos!
I don't have many greens...have a few more that are blue but currently look more green, but I don't consider them greens, just viridescents.

Don from Colorado should appear in awhile as he loves his green hostas so! Some of us have to work, though ... Can u imagine this board if we were ALL retired???

This post was edited by josephines67 on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 15:47

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:55

Clovelly
 photo HostaClovelly2014-0617.jpg

And Marilyn Monroe
 photo HostaMarilynMonroe2014-0611.jpg

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:57

Lakeside Black Satin
 photo HostaLakesideBlackSatin2014-0615.jpg

Lakeside Looking Glass
 photo HostaLakesidelookingGlass2014-0617.jpg

Lakeside Storm Watch
 photo HostaLakesideStormWatch2014-0611.jpg

o

Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 14:59

Devon Green
2014 Devon Green in early June photo HostaDevonGreen2014-0604.jpg

Dragon's Eye
 photo HostaDragonsEye2014-0611-02.jpg

Maraschino Cherry
 photo HostaMaraschinoCherry2014-0617.jpg

Sparkling Burgundy
 photo HostaRaspberrySorbet22014-0526.jpg

o

Hostahosta, great topic. The greens often get overlooked. I have more blue,yellow and variegated hostas than green and tend to use spaces between the variegated ones or other perennials. I'm still experimenting. I really like everyone's rippled greens.

I have one or two that haven't been mentioned. Here's Goober. He's been here since 2011.

o

Cup of Grace stays upright. I'm trying to think of ways to highlight her better.

o

Garnet Prince
Hosta 'Garnet Prince' (10)-001

Paul

o

Lovely pictures, everyone!

Jade Cascade
 photo IMG_6375_zps43823a93.jpg

Lakeside Midnight Miss
 photo IMG_5684_zps5d7b6ca8.jpg

Beet Salad
 photo IMG_5617_zps6ddc47b0.jpg

Clausa
 photo IMG_5833_zps950cca49.jpg

Vanessa

o

My favorite solid, dark green has to be Valerie's Vanity. Good substance, a nice gloss and only spoiled by the wrens above. It does seem to be a little thinner this year. Probably some tree root competition going on.

Jerry

o

Stingray

o

Ahhh, THERE is Stingray! Awesome, Steve, and great pics from all. Gosan Sunproof is turning into a big 'ol hosta, and I like it.

Don B.

o

Very thick leaves, although no hosta is REALLY 'sunproof' here, it certainly does well.

Don B.

o

• Posted by mbug 6 NJ (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 21:54

Another Irish Luck
 photo IrishLuck1.jpg

...and another Cup of Grace
Cup of Grace photo CupofGrace-2.jpg

Obsession
 photo obsession1.jpg

Lakeside Lollipop
LAKESIDE LOLLIPOP photo LakesideLollipop.jpg

o

Mbug, Wow! Love your Cup of Grace picture...you did her proud. I hope mine looks like yours some day.

o

Mojito.

Don B.

o

Plantaginea venus.

o

OMG!! Beet salad I like never heard of it. Do you guys have the opportunity to get more ice hostas than me or is it just that I am new to this?? All the ones you guys mentioned on this forum I have not heard!!
Wow I'm so far behind everybody!!!

michelle

o

Hostahosta, thanks for reminding us that an all green hosta is a definite must for any hosta garden. They tend to be overlooked for the fancier-schmancier types. I don't have a whole lot of all greens myself, and will make an effort to include more as my garden grows. I have the standard Plantagineas and Lancifolias and after seeing those great pics of Irish Luck and Marilyn Monroe above I'm so glad I picked both of those up this season.

And now Obsession just made it onto my wish list.

Let's not forget Queen of the Seas.

o

Edge of Night

Paul

o

• Posted by LRB3 7b GA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 10:16

I haven't seen this one posted before...

Black Jack Chew

o

• Posted by LRB3 7b GA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 10:19

Or this one.

Jester

o

My favorite green is ventricosa. It re-seeds itself. :)

o

From a tour garden....Niagara Falls gets notice among all the variegated.

Paul

o

Loved seeing all the greenies! Lots of ideas for future acquisitions.

Hmmmm, F. Hyacinthina mislabeled? I hate it when that happens. And it came from a nursery, not a big box store. Though they definitely do not specialize in hosta. I really like that one. Wonder what it is? Any ideas? It has not bloomed yet, but I see scapes shorter than the leaves. I bought it last year, but it was very large then, and I think looks to be mature.

o

Don't forget Lederhosen.....

o

...and Lakeside Foiled Plot.

o

Candy Dish (with a few slug holes)

Karen

o

Green up top...but purple down below!
Miss Linda Smith

o

My Elegan. Does she qualify as a green hosta? That's a hellebro next to her.

o

Katsuragawa Beni

o

Gosan Leather Strap looks nothing like this to begin with. It has strap-like leaves as a youngster and is a fast grower. I bought it thinking it was a mini.

o

Here are 3 GLSs evolving.

o

A young candy dish with a small bridegroom off to the right.

photo 20140624_180303.jpg

Neptune in its gangly teenage phase

photo 20140624_180325.jpg

o

Oh my gosh...so many named hostas I never heard of....I'm jealous!!!

o

Hostacats, I bet you have this one... the first hosta I bought in the 70's and a workhorse in my garden. A division I forgot to plant even survived one of our Canadian winters. It has lovely fragrant flowers in August: Hosta 'Royal Standard'... the first hosta to be registered...can't remember the year.

o

irawon yes I actually have many royal standards in my yard.....in the beginning not many places to buy from except walmart.......now I want fancy names. I like Gosan leather strap that's a cool one. Ok you are in Ottawa, where do you buy your hostas and do they ship online???

o

Hostacats, Don in Colorado started a good thread on reliable nurseries (test for HVX) in Canada. There are some good nurseries recommended, which are closer to you, do mail order and have good selections.

Here in Ottawa, I buy from Budd Gardens, which do mail order, Rideau Woodland Ramble and Whitehouse Perennials. All the info is in Don's thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Don's thread

o

Mississippi Delta

o

Plum Pudding. Purple petioles and green leaves. Bought at Green Hill during the Dixie Regional convention. Can you tell that instead of doing the serious gardening I posted about yesterday, I'm still in my recliner with the iPad? My day off will be gone if I don't get off this forum right now. Sure is a pleasant way to waste time, though.
Kathy

o

1964was the year Royal Standard was registered/first introduced... hybridized by Gulleman. This was and is still such a lovely, fresh green hosta.

That's my trivia fix for today, lol. :-)

o

Wow 1964 is a long time ago!!

o

Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 15:59

Paul, I love your Garnet Prince! I got a baby one last year that I hope grows up to look like that!

LRB3, thanks for posting a pic of Black Jack Chew. I love the dark green!

P.S. I think both Neptune and Queen of the Seas are blue hostas, not green.

o

How about ... Potomac Pride

o

I am surprised that there was no mention of Emerald Crown. There are so many nice dark greens that show themselves very well. Depending on the light it sometimes appears lighter but either way is a hosta with no problem with slugs for mine

o

Manhattan is my favorite solid green. It's just starting to come into bloom, which is great too

photo manhattan_zps8d9852b9.jpg

o

I just looked back at all these pics. Some very nice green ones. I've added a few to my list!

Irawon: hope you return to this thread. What is the white edged one behind Goober?

Coll: I'm looking for a nice Manhattan, been on my list for long time. I WILL get one this year.

Steve: Love Stingray.

o

Coll I love manhatten!!

but mind you I don't think I have any on this list!!

o

Hoosier Dome

Don B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here