Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennaj_z4mn

Tall/Upright/Large/Cupped Gold?

jennaj_z4mn
9 years ago

Walking around my gardens, I realized that I am missing a tall, upright, cupped gold...and now I HAVE to have one! Any suggestions? Something similar to a Gentle Giant maybe? Thanks!

Comments (18)

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    9 years ago

Gold Regal.

End of thread.

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

What mikgag says . . . However . . . This immature Fat Cat is showing promise.

• User
    9 years ago

OMG, Hillbilly, you have pulled my chain there with TALL UPRIGHT LARGE CUPPED GOLD. Each word of it drove another nail in my wish list for the late fall order. Oh, I think I can wait until spring for delivery, but let's see what folks have to suggest.

I have a young Fatcat, and you are so right. I got it this year, keeps itself perfectly groomed with those straight neat edges. Sort of a languid fat feline look to it.

This photo shows my three new arrivals in the gold spectrum. Fat Cat on the left, King Tut on the right, and behind with a green margin is Cadillac.

I also replaced my lost Piedmont Gold, brand new, just remember that. It looks promising. Seems to be upright so far.

Golds and greens which turn gold with a lot of sun (i.e.plantaginea greens) are my favorites in the garden.

Delta Desire is a ML sport of Delta Dawn. New this year, but I like it a lot.

Hope someone helps solve your problem, HH.

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    9 years ago

They don't meet your criteria in every respect, but you might consider a bit of a compromise and go with Sun Power (if you want a tall flashy yellow) or Maui Buttercups if you really like the cupped look. I also like Golden Waffles.

Steve

• donrawson
    9 years ago

World Cup, Key West, and Krugerrand also meet your criteria.

• hostahosta
    9 years ago

Love Key West, but not sure I would consider it very cupped. Mine is from 2012, verrrry slow. I'll be waiting a long time for it to look like Olga's.

Because my Alex Summers is growing like a weed, I have Gold Regal on my list.

• User
    9 years ago

Well, I love Key West too. It gets sun from mid morning until late afternoon. It is new here, from 2013, and I'm not sure if it is trying to cup or not. As far as I'm concerned, if the leaves keep looking that healthy, they can grow any way they like as long as the color stays bright and green gold.

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

Here is World Cup in the garden at Giboshihill Hostas.

Vanessa

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

midas touch ... it has INCREDIBLE GOLD highlights in late summer...

and who cares if it was an aden plant ... that history is irrelevant to the plant ... but if you are some kind of aden snob ...

then try Tijuana brass... by kevin vaughn ...

some of these oldies are just so far ahead of some of todays carp ...

now.. can you find either for sale.. lol ...

i am p.o.'d i lost MT .... i wonder if i can find TB .... hmmmmm

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• User
    9 years ago

Hmmm, well, Ken, I have both of those but in containers.

This year Tijuana Brass is not so tall. It arrived in 2013 and had very rugose almost contorted leaves. This picture taken April 2014 so still emerging.

Midas Touch, I have two of them in a tub with August Moon. Somebody is going to MOVE OUT this fall when they go dormant.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Key West!!!! WOW!! I love it!!
    Actually all the ones you guys are showing on here are nice. I WANT a FAT CAT!!!

michelle

• User
    9 years ago

hehehe, Michelle, I knew you would love Fat Cat! Isn't it sleek and fat looking? Those golds can take a lot of sun, even in 30 degrees latitude. like I am. Just here they'll need a lot more watering.

Every time I mention the word CAT! my two dachshunds go running to the porch windows, and the parrot starts meowing. I had to get Fat Cat myself this spring. It looks great.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

Hehehe moccasin I need a fat cat. I have four cats and one here is a fat cat. Looks nothing like the plant lol, just need a nice fat cat, very pretty plant and LOVE the name!!

• hostahillbilly
    9 years ago

Vanessa, darn you, now I want a World Cup! Might have to replace one of my several Gold Regals...

• jennaj_z4mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!! I am on a mad hunt for World Cup--that's exactly what I was looking for!!! I'll check out the other suggestions too.

• User
    9 years ago

JennaJ, I refer to the Hosta Finder 2014 edition, which lists (for various prices) World Cup as available from
    American/Wade
    Avalon Acres
    Casita Azul
    Cochato
    Flying Frog
    Franc's
    Hornbaker
    Hosta Hideaway
    Hosta Patch
    Jims
    Land of the Giants
    Romence
    Savory's (in Minnesota)
    Venero
    Woodland

Don't know any others in MN, but Savorys sure is. Prices at the listed nurseries run between $15 and $20 with average price $16.33 if that is any help.

• jennaj_z4mn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for the list, Moc!! I may try to get it local from Savory's or Venero.