new last year and one i relly like...

more to come when i have time!

Comments (41)

• valtorrez
    13 years ago

Wow, everything looks perfect. Really nice pics

• User
    13 years ago

Every inch displays its fullest potential.

As always, fantastic!

More? "Yes, please."

• kentstar
    13 years ago

Everytime I see pics of your garden I just cringe when I look at mine. It's so perfect! How do you do it? My hosta's get holey and ratty looking after a while, no matter what I do to keep slugs and snails away.

What is that gorgeous huge hosta on the left side behind the yellow/gold looking hosta? And what is the name of the one that you showed with the white striped centers? Beautiful!

I am jealous!

• schoolb1
    13 years ago

OMG! Your garden is drop dead gorgeous!!I think I need help.Keep the pics coming, it will keep me on my toes, Judy

• bfly8
    13 years ago

What a wonderful display. Thanks for sharing with us.

• chris-e
    13 years ago

Oh hostaman! Your pictures show exactly why I love England so much! Everything is green, green, GREEN and GROWING! Please tell us that you are retired an have loads of time to spend in the garden! Otherwise some of us will just get too depressed!

chris

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks everyone...kentstar,the huge one is sagea...and chris,in my mid 40's,but everything is on a automatic watering system..grass gets cut in 5 mins and bonemeal put down twice a year..biggest job is trimming my topiary which is alot quicker since i bought a cordless trimmer!

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

a new 'fleet week'

a new 'emerald ruff cut'

new 2 years ago 'stich in time'

new last year 'regal supreme'

a my new fave...new last year 'neptune'

a new 'fragrant queen'

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

need more yellows in the garden,so im going to order 'dancing queen'..'flmish gold'..'prairie moon'...and another 'sunpower'!

• tepelus
    13 years ago

Perfect! And your Stitch In Time looks like it's doing very well. Maybe all it needs is England's weather to do well. :)

Karen

• ghgwv
    13 years ago

Very Beautiful. Looks like a garden magazine cover.
    Gary

• lethean46
    13 years ago

Beautiful garden.

What brand cordless trimmer did you buy? I have boxwood that need trimmed, and I've been unable to find a cordless trimmer that can be sharpened when needed.

Lethean

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lethean46..this is the one i have used for nearly 3 cutting seasons...dosent need any sharpening!...not got a great battery,i can get about half an hour consistent use out of it then it need charging

Here is a link that might be useful: cordless topiary trimmer

• schoolb1
    13 years ago

Hostasman, what is the name of the hosta that is by the spirals? It is smaller next to them and is very dark green margins with white centers? I have one and do not have the name for it.I'll appreciate the help. I can look at you pics all day.I inquired about stitch in time on the forum,but the response wasn't good,but after seeing yours, I'm putting back at the top of the list!!Judy

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Such a gorgeous garden. So different from my own. I just love it. I can't imagine how much work it is to trim those topiaries but they look wonderful.

What kind of potting mix do you use for your hostas and what kind of fertilizer?

I have some in pots that aren't doing very well. Getting wimpy. I haven't fertilized them much nor changed the soil...

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks again for the kind words....schoolb1..the hosta is 'whirlwind'

and i really like my 'stich in time'...alot of people say they have trouble but mine seems to be getting away and cant wait for it to get bigger!

buyorsell888....i use a mix of peat with added grit,high ratio of potash and a low ratio of nitrogen..with added osomocote..they seem to like it!

• schoolb1
    13 years ago

I get so confused at all the different hostas, my whirlwind looks more like a sum and substance.The plant behind your whirlwind looks more like the whirlwind that I have and the one you call whirlwind,I have two of those but didn't have a name.I love them though.If your weren't confused before, I'll bet you are now,lol,Judy

• quinney
    13 years ago

so beautiful. I hope you take time to sit and enjoy!!

• troutwind
    13 years ago

Your garden is stunning and model of compactness. Reminds me of a garden version of my Dental Lab when I was in the Navy on the USS Kitty Hawk. A whole lot of stuff, seamlessly fitted into a small space.

• mary52zn8tx
    13 years ago

Your garden is so pretty. Everything you have growing is so healthy and perfect. Even your new plants are so lush. Wow!! Have you ever lost a hosta? I'll bet they wouldn't dare die in your garden. Now mine on the other hand...

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mary52...now you mention it,i have had a few that struggle with me......'twilight' and 'morning light' i have had for over 4-5 years and never come to much!and 'wide brim' which grows well but always burns even in shade and im giving that one to the mother in law!..'fire and ice' is another that got to a good size then stopped and has been the same size for years!

• grannyfifty7
    13 years ago

You Have the Magic Touch,And I know I speak for so many of us Hosta Lovers Everywhere,
    Never Stop Sharing Your Photos.And I Wish You Lived By Me!!

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

UK-hostaman, you have a great garden with prime hostas, probably 'treated' all insects?
    Did you take the Whirlwind picture in early spring, because my Whirlwind has changed its white now to light green?

On your fifth picture in the lower left corner, what is the name of that hosta with the large white center. Thanks!
    Bernd

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

berndnyz5....the whirlwind picture was taken last weekend,it really dosent change colour untill september...and the hosta is called 'christmas candy'..a great hosta..this picture was taken in mid june

• kentstar
    13 years ago

uk_hostaman, I must know what that gorgeous hosta is in the sixth pic down with the thin white center lines and wide green margins! I have been trying to look everywhere to figure it out but no luck. It's stunning, and I would love to get one lol!

Sixth pic from the top, just right of the center of the pic, the large one?

Cathy

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

Cathy, I'm going to venture a guess:
    Lakeside Dividing Line
    Ann Kulpa
    Risky Business.

• kentstar
    13 years ago

I think you are right about maybe Risky Business. When I look at the photos on Hosta's Direct site, it looks almost exactly like that! Only uk-hostamans leaves look a little more heart shaped. I think though, that it is Risky Business. Hmmm... Where can I fit that hosta? lol Got to have it!

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kentstar..yes its 'risky business'great hosta..grows real quick,that ones a division i took from a plant i bought the year before....also lasts well untill first frosts

• kentstar
    13 years ago

Thanks hostaman! Your gardens should be in a show!

Cathy

• thisismelissa
    13 years ago

Speaking of garden shows...
    uk_hostaman, At the AHS convention this year, Mike Shadrack spoke of private gardens who open for charity. He had this book with him that showed what weekend which gardens were going to be open.

I could envision your garden on one of those tours.

Out of curiosity, what is the overall size of your back garden?

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks again for the kind words....some of my newer hostas are getting alittle tired now....but many are still holding on,its been a wet and cold august for me!..first year for me that i havent been able to keep on top of the slugs and snails.... trying nematodes slug control for the first time and see how that works!...thisismelissa..the overall size is about 150 foot long and about half that wide...wouldnt get many in to view....the other half always complains she hasent enough room to sit or put the washing out!

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

forgot to mention i just recieved today 3 more 'sweet innocence'...this is a great hosta and im just trying to make more room!...im afraid the 'wide brim' and also the 'patriot' had to go...both always had burnt edges half way through the season!

• jel48
    13 years ago

All I have to say is... absolutely STUNNING!

• bkay2000
    13 years ago

Beautiful!

What are in the round baskets? It kind of looks like begonias.

bkay

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

yes they are begonia semperflorens...what a fantastic plant they are...put 10 in a 16in basket(4 around the edge and 6 on top)put some slow release feed in and water once a day and they look great up untill the first hard frost!out last any basket!

• Janice
    13 years ago

Absolutely stunning, UK!!! You've certainly made the most of your 'space'!
    I don't think I'd ever leave your garden--except to eat, maybe!!! ;^))

• Den Richmond
    8 years ago

OMG, lost for words........

• keswick_sniders
    8 years ago

This is perhaps the best kept garden I have ever seen. Are there no slugs.... and , if so, how are you controlling them. Many would pay a king's ransome to know how you keep them so perfect.

• ademink
    8 years ago

stunning!!!

• Deb 215 SEWI5
    8 years ago

It's like a fairyland, so so beautiful!!!

• windymess z6a KC, Ks
    8 years ago

Amazing garden, UK!

I must ask - what is the hosta near your potted Sunpower... in full bloom with purple/dark lavender blooms (very floriferous, with rather straight-up scapes). The leaves have a darker center with lighter edges, and it appears you have a group of them massed...? I just love it, and love the look of it in bloom!