o
Transplant now?

Posted by tomahawkclaim sw PA 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 27, 11 at 11:50

Since roots are growing now, is it a good time to transplant? Nance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplant now?

Some say yes, but with the heat that's about to hit your area, I'd say NO!

Since there's still a good amount of growing season left for you in PA, I'd say to wait until a bit after the heat of the summer has passed, otherwise, your plants are gonna look ratty for the rest of the season. AND you'll have to water a LOT more just to make sure the roots don't dry out.

Having moved plants summer, spring and fall, I'd say my preference is spring, when the pips are sticking up a few inches, but leaves have not yet unfurled. It's my opinion that they have a chance to get settled a bit before the heat makes it tough on them!

o

move them any time you want...with lots of water after ...

use that brilliant post about moving fully leafed out hosta ..

DO NOT CONFUSE MOVING a hosta.. with dividing it ...

moving a hosta.. with roots near intact ... means the hosta will barely notice..

and yes.. since its root growing time.. why not ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I have moved quite a few during this July,despite the heat,and so far,they are surviving. I have to keep watering them well,though. Phil

o

Plus you will have a free sauna when digging and moving big ones during the heat. An outside shower would help tremendously then.

o

I've been moving them right up until the heat became unbearable. (For me, not the hostas)
A little crisping, but not bad. I probably would have held off if I had been moving them to a sunny spot, tho. Mine went in more shade than they have been used to, so I figured that would help them, too.

o

If you need more reinforcement for moving hostas now I'll add my 2 pennies. I used a filed 14' boat, a filled pickup bed and still needed the backseat of a car to get about 16 mature hostas moved 550 miles from northern Arkansas to Illinois and never lost a plant. It was in the 90's temp-wise. Once at their new home all I could do was dig quick holes, stomp the plants in, and water like crazy. In a week they may have looked a little ragged but not bad. My S&S had the hardest time-it made the trip in the boat inside a clear plastic bag (with holes in it to keep it from getting steamed) to keep the wind from tearing up the leaves. The next spring I started top dressing etc.

Les

o

I once transplanted 4' tall okra plants in the middle of an Oklahoma summer. My neighbor thought I was nutz but the okra lived and thrived. Screened them with burlap for about a week and wet the burlap several times a day (hot dry winds).

Anyway, they're hosta & they'll survive but if you want to keep them looking good for this summer, anything you can do to create a little microclimate around them will help. Old window screens, burlap over tomato cages...you get the idea...anything that helps screen part of the light, lower the temp & keeps the humidity at high levels around the plant for a couple of weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here