Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

let's give a cheer for the dark greens

User
10 years ago

Your mileage might vary, but I have several hosta that are a jungle dark green. I sometimes call it a "jet green" as similar to "jet black." There are some which are shiny, and thus you get a polished leaf look. Then the duller jet green. I figure these guys are the work horses of the hosta clan, which in masses are great background plants, punctuated with brighter hosta which give the focal point. But when they are all featured individually, they shine like a lump of coal about to become a diamond.

I have quite a few of them, always trying to see which will be the darkest. Would you care to show your dark stars of YOUR garden? Not every hosta can be about sweetness and light. The dark side adds another element, a depth to the shade, a mystery when it is the center of attention.

Clear Fork River Valley...all this darkness, no slug bites, and it sets seed too? I mean, what else can it have!

Bulletproof....a non reflective dark green. Caught it when there was no rain to give it a shine.

and then last December, here is the color before dormancy

Lakeside Lollipop....I am smitten with this one. Distinct when you see the plant with its lollipop shape and dark color

Lakeside Black Satin is lovely, the dark green has a sheen to it which creates its own light

One Man's Treasure is a great plant, growing very dark green here. But in more sun it brightens up

I have more of the dark ones, but you put yours here first. I'd love to see them. The dark greens can turn a northern garden into a tropical paradise. Especially with the help of some frilly ferns arcing around them.

Comments (35)

• mr_gary
    10 years ago

Mocc, your greens look great thanks for sharing. If you remember my Stained Glass sport Emerald Stain is very dark, seems to be a fast grower and very strong so far. Don't want to put up any pictures until next year. But here is a picture of Elatior another one of my fav's.

• mr_gary
    10 years ago

Picture showed in preview but not in post. Hummm!

• DelawareDonna
    10 years ago

I received Devon Green as a bonus plant this year. This medium sized hosta with its shiny dark green leaves is a sport of Halcyon.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Another vote for the dark greens - Undulata Erromena....

Paul

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

....and Fortunei Hyacinthina.

Paul

• tarheelbelle
    10 years ago

I love the shape of Lakeside Lollipop, mocc. Do you have a picture of the plant? Will need to add that one to my wish list.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Love the dark greens especially if they are shiny.

Sport of Dixie Chick

Huge plant with beautiful flowers

The last two are not shiny but wonderful anyway.

• LRB3
    10 years ago

My favorite dark green, Black Jack Chew.

T.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

I was also going to mention Rosedale Spoons- it's by far the darkest one in my garden. Almost freakishly dark!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Mr. Gary! Glad to see you posting with the forum again. I will be here when your Emerald Stain pokes its nose up.
    There are beauties among the darker hosta, I think the textures are very visible when the color is dark like this.

Let me see about a whole plant of LS Lollipop, I was smitten by it from first look too....... this shot taken a few minutes ago.

Lakeside Lollipop

Black Hills....tall as a big pine tree, I'll have to remove the tape later, does not appear it needs the tape at all.

Whirlwind, it kept getting darker and darker, now it is almost black

Who likes em shiny slick and jet green? Here is Nightlife

And now, Lederhosen. I have ONE that I know is Lederhosen, and then the NOID beside it changes its colors much slower but winds up looking like #1. Very strange. I've had them both since 2010, from a very mixed up first-ever hosta order to Plant Delights Nursery...the LAST hosta order I ever placed with them. Too confusing for me.

BTW, in another month, Lederhosen will look like melted green patent leather with almost no sign of the veins, just a smooth shiny dark green leaf surface. The other hosta I call Lederhosen NOID is still powdery blue. But....what else could it be if it winds up looking like the other one?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How about a smaller one. King of Spades.
    More later, we're headed out to dinner for our anniversary right now. Bye.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

My neighbor Bobbi has Mystic Star and it is a gorgeous dark green hosta. She packs hers close together and when they get too crouded she digs them up and replaces them.

I plan to sneak over there at night and fertilize it, just waiting with my bucket in hand waiting for her to dig it up. lol I have not kept my desire for it a secret from her, so it is just a matter of time. It is so dark it almost is black, and shiny. I love it.

Theresa

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Happy Anniversary, Mocc and DH!! May you have many more!

Sincerely,
    Don B.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Here is a fairly mature Lakeside Lollipop about to flower taken a few days ago. The second picture is when it flowered last year near the end of July along with Blond Elf. I noticed the white flowers work really well with the dark green.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Devon Green' was getting too much sun, and lightened up a lot. Not to my liking, so I moved it into a lot more shade. Should look much darker next season.

Don B.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

My Clifford's Comet sport is very dark...

Paul

• mbug_gw
    10 years ago

Great thread....beautiful plants everyone
    My two darkest....and fast becoming two of my favorites
    Cup of Grace ....tall and gracefully upright....leaves are starting to cup

Obsession ....leaves are very dark and shine

Love the look of the leaves,,,some areas look almost black

A closer look

Have to say, I've added a few more to my wish list

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Mojito and Tongue Twister, two of my favorite dark greens. I love all of them.

Beverly

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Simple but stunning, I think. Lancifolia.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

How about Potomac Pride, or Lilly Pad.

Gotta get the camera out ...

^_^ --~

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Bragu, we need some pics of that Lily Pad. Sounds like I'd love it.

Ah yes, that reminds me of THREE MORE dark ones.

Celtic Uplands, Sweet Bo Peep, and Candy Dish together in this 2012 picture. Easy to upload 1 and get 3 down. :)

Irish Luck

Nippers..and Happy Hearts, in May..... rather small but good jet greens that are greener now than then.

and Steffi, which has a white margin, but it points up how dark the leaf becomes. Dramatic. Chose to grow it because it reminds me of my drama queen granddaughter, named Steffi. :)

• coll_123
    10 years ago

I've got Lily Pad next to Rosedale Spoons, so it doesnt seem as dark to me by comparison. Its a beautiful shiny emerald. I love this one too

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

The dark green rest your eyes from looking at all the varigated ones. Here is Invincible.

• hostahosta
    10 years ago

And here is Moonlight Sonata.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

I just bought a single eye h.'Irish Luck' which will be a real beauty in a few years, see the picture from the Hosta Library. Bernd

Here is a link that might be useful:

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

Loving those Rosedale Spoons !

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll come back later with the picture which is in my camera now. It is my last standing bloom scape, on Royal Accolade, which is of course fragrant and a sport of Royal Standard.

Of note, once again, the assassin bug nymphs are all over the stem around the flowers. I am keeping a list of hosta which hosted those fragrant hosta lovers, in case they know something I don't know.....that these are the hosta which get their approval for scent/fragrance....some pheremone? There must be some distinguishing characteristic for these hosta scapes that others, such as Mama plantaginea herself or Aphrodite or Venus or Doubled Up, do NOT have. Because these nymphs do not go from one plant to the next which is nearby. All the hosta they are seen on are in all different places in my garden.

I put this comment into this particular thread because Royal Accolade is a dark green. I found a spiny yellow orb spider and its web in the same corner too. It was eating a fly when I spotted it.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks Mocc, please do. I'm glad you brought up this thread again. There are at the very least a few of these greenies I'll thank myself for later if I put them on next season's want-list NOW.

My 'Invincible' is almost toast, but I'm finding most of my other fragrant varieties seem to want to outlast their unstinky bretheren. How about in your neck of the woods?

Regards,
    Don B.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

Yes, thanks for bumping this up. There are some here I will put on my "want list."

This is my favorite, Valerie's Vanity. Very dark and glossy, no slug damage and lasts long into the fall.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Midnight Ride comes to mind but I can never get a good picture of it - well named - I think it might be the darkest one here

hh

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

potomac pride leaf w/ dime

hh

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Moonlight Sonata qualifies, methinks...

hh

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Wow, 'Moonlight Sonata' sure is nice. All that and fragrant, too? Count ME in!

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Moonlight Sonata qualifies, methinks...

hh

{{!gwi}}

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

A little late arriving on the scene, but this is a wonderful thread!

Belated Anniversary wishes, Mocc!

Gorgeous pics of gorgeous hosta, All...thanks for the treats!

I have some that are already listed, like Candy Dish, Sweet Bo Peep, Tall Twister (grower's cultivar), Whirlwind has gone dark green, June Spirit....all have that beautiful sheen to them. Devon Green pops first in my mind when I think green and I don't even own it. Got to fix that! :-)

Mocc...coveting LBSatin! :-).

Jo

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES