Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Putting a Little Light on the Subject

Posted by jonnyb023 6a SE MA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 11:56

It is a hazy sunny day today.

photo 2014-07-21001019_zps9ab8f87e.jpg

I took a walk to see how my latest climate adjustment was coming along.

photo 2014-07-21001015_zpsbbac5a2c.jpg

I added a ton of rocks or so to the 'Ravine'

photo 2014-07-21001008_zps5108bc4f.jpg

I also cut down an old crabapple that was on its last legs and trimmed back a lot of overhanging branches.

photo 2014-07-21001011_zpse84c1067.jpg

This seems to have made a dramatic difference as things have started to perk up even after only a few days.

photo 2014-07-21001013_zps6b2bf303.jpg

Ferns are flourishing

photo 2014-07-21001012_zps39f51c9c.jpg

Sleeping Beauty has awakened.

photo 2014-07-21001011_zpse84c1067.jpg

After a long wait, things are filling in.

photo 2014-07-21001010_zpse7b7094e.jpg

First Frost...not for a while.

photo 2014-07-21001009_zpsbcead055.jpg

Blue Angel, getting some company.

photo 2014-07-21001006_zpsc19e78ce.jpg

The NOIDS on the knoll....

photo 2014-07-21001017_zps8d4ccde8.jpg

Even they look good.

photo 2014-07-21001016_zps2d82ed72.jpg

photo 2014-07-21001014_zpsb3d032c3.jpg

Spilling down toward the 350 year old new bench.

photo 2014-07-21001018_zps1030952e.jpg

Please send boulders. I need a couple of tons more. Seriously I think taking down that Crabapple and trimming has given the area the shot in the arm it needed.

I hope you are not getting bored as this grows in slow motion.

Jon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Putting a Little Light on the Subject

Looking great, Jon. I never noticed that low rock wall (in your first pic) Love the dark stone.

Don B.

o

Everything looks really good. Love the dry river bed and sitting area.

o

"Gardening is the slowest of the performing arts." Mac Griswold
Quote submitted by Kathy

o

Bored?? Us?? Oh Jon, bite your tongue. If gardening has taught us anything, it is patience. Loving the look of your river of rocks. You should now add water. hehehehe just kidding.....

o

Your landscape looks very nice. I noticed also the benefit of more light after having removed 2 trees and 2 large pines limbed up to 30 ft. I had that done without increasing the time of direct sun.
Bernd

o

Don, that was left-over stone from the wall in front of the house. I bought that 'Pennsylvania Colonial', it is easy to stack....well easier than gathering rocks.

Thanks bungalowmonkeys, the wood for the bench came from a 350 year old building; It was huge beams salvaged by a guy in Middleboro, MA that was cutting it up and making flooring out of it (expensive flooring, no doubt). The bench material was 'scrap' from his project. It was too long for a straight bench, so I came up with the angled seat arrangement. It took a little thought and a whole bunch of keep track to keep the square footings, concrete block mortared with Mexican beach stones aligned and locked together. It is VERY sturdy and well worth the effort. An original, for sure.

Kathy an insightful and very true statement.

Nista, you just have to let yourself go and you can see the water as it ripples and bubbles down the ravine. You have to believe.

Bernd, I cut a lot down when I cleared the area. The pines are trimmed up and I can go 20 feet with my pole pruner (Higher with a stepladder), but I want to keep the lower area in deep shade to prevent weeding. I keep it just high enough to walk under. I am trying to balance the fact that the area down by the bench it is pretty much covered in pine needles and needs little to no maintenance as very little of anything grows. Now that the upper portion is more open the brightness is very noticeable and maybe it is my imagination, but everything seems to be spurting.

There are smaller caliper trees that I can easily cut down and open it up more, but I like the needle cover and do not want to encourage weeds. I also planted some variegated Vinca Minor on the far bank at that is doing well and will brighten the area as it spreads in the background along with the sections of it I planted on the right bank of the ravine.

Thanks everyone, maybe it will be a lot different by season's end.

Jon

o

Thoroughly enjoyed your pics and accompanying remarks, Jon. What a beautiful garden you have and love all the rocks and other details you've added. Wow.

o

Thank you takeover, glad you enjoyed it.

o

Would love to see a close up of it. Love projects like that. It is crazy how much that recycled wood goes for. Gladly pay it if my pockets were deep and full.

o

OK bungalowmonkeys, ask and ye shall receive-

You don't need deep pockets for this guy, The wood was under $25.

photo DSC_0494_zps0355c682.jpg

The raw material

photo DSC_0504_zps579af802.jpg

The joint was made with a Kreg pocket joint. Six pocket screws (sorry no picture of this). The glue is Titebond III which is a marine grade glue good for submerging.

photo DSC_0500_zps7ef79af3.jpg

Routed edges, sanded down, Sickens finish (the best).

photo DSC_0511_zpsedfc9ff9.jpg

Single concrete blocks (2 high). Laid out a paper template to position where the columns would go.

photo DSC_0516_zps67a3fc11.jpg

Set in 2 lag screws for each column. The screws are set in concrete which fills the cavity in the concrete blocks.

photo DSC_0531_zps013b7742.jpg

The concrete blocks are mortared together and Mexican beach stones are mortared all over the outside.

photo DSC_0517_zpsfe04849b.jpg

photo DSC_0512_zps59e63d12.jpg

Make up some 2x4 footings and mark where the columns go using the paper template I made.

photo DSC_0518_zps2e9e736d.jpg

A four foot rebar is set into the ground. The footing is filled with concrete. The hollow core of the concrete blocks are filled and the rebar is set into the wet mortar and....

photo DSC_0537_zpsa79a2cf6.jpg

photo DSC_0536_zpsfc5157dd.jpg

Voila, you have a one of a kind garden bench that, with a little TLC will last and last. Like any project like this I am proud of it and I am glad I did it, but it is really a good 3-4 day project (probably more waiting for mortar to dry) which requires a goodly amount of planning and tedious care in putting it all together.

I now need to work on a trellis or railings that will fit the ravine and the bench. Stone columns (veneer) with wood rails to match the angle of the bench....candle lanterns .......hmmmm. I must have rocks in my head (pun noted)

Jon

o

Your plants are getting bigger and seem happy in their woodland setting. I always like seeing your river rock ravine. And that bench... Thanks for showing how that all came together. That's really nice!

o

Very nice mitred joint and the routered edges finish the bench off beautifully! Love the stain colour, very soft and warm. Something beautiful about its simplicity....I enjoyed the "details" too, Jon. Great job...no little wonder you are happy with it!

o

Wow! You did a great job, looks fantastic. $25 for antique wood is a crazy price! And what a nice piece to work with. I havent used Sikkens yet on a wood project, but love the finish you acheived. It looks like a hand rubbed oil finish. Just getting into wood working and have tried tounge oil (true tounge oil) on a railing and bookcase top, but not sure im in love with it. What sikkens product did you use? Is that a stain or just sealed with the natural color? And how many coats?

Hope you post photos when you get the rest of the project done. What a great outdoor space.

o

Thanks Sandy, next year the plants should be well established and it might be interesting / fun to look back and see how it is progressing.

Jo, the pocket screws make the joint far simpler than doweling or tenons which would never have turned out as well unless I purchased some expensive equipment. Actually, while the wood is the most interesting and the most important part of the project the stain cost me as much...then the stones specially ordered. I did a lot of research into the stain as the wood is obviously not pressure treated and it needed to have good protection. The Sikkens stain was rated and reviewed best, by far. It has stood up very well, but needs another coat this Fall. You cannot put a second coat on right away and there has to be at least a 2 year wait before you can recoat with this stain. The Titebond III glue is living up to its reputation as well, with no sign of deterioration. Its a good thing I don't cost anything though.

Jon

o

bungalomoneys,

It is Sikkens Cetol SRD translucent wood finish; Natural Oak 005. I actually did 2 coats which is a big mistake. They say you can put on only one coat as anything more will never cure. It worked out for me as the wood, having been in a building 350 years was very dry and the first coat soaked right in and the second dried up very well and is fine. I didn't realize that you shouldn't use more than one coat with recoating only after 2 years, and wouldn't have tried it if I had read the directions. They also don't recommend using it over any other finish without sanding it down to bare wood, so redoing the tung oil finish would be difficult or maybe disastrous if not sanded down.

Jon

o

Ill have to try this product out. The bookcase top never got connected to the actual bookcase since I hated the way it turned out. Was trying to go cheap and used the kreg jig and glue to join two 2x8x 12s together. They are slightly warped on one end and it drives me nuts. Ive got to find better wood for it since it is a focal point in the room.

Did you go off a plan for this project? Where do you go for woodworking plans?

o

I like to add that raising the canopy of my pines brought more needed light to hostas, but also turned the water in my little pond green. You can't have it all.
Bernd

o

BM, the only plans are in my head, The size was based in the wood that was available. Ask me anything you want about it and I will explain what I did. I can measure up the seat itself and get the angle; things like that. Sorry, I just made it as I went along.

Bernd,

No pond, but I expect that weeds will like the increased sun from my clearing efforts. Like everything, it is a trade off. I don't want to limb up the pines that give pretty solid shade in the lower area. It just takes a little 'mowing' with RoundUp every year or two. The trade off is it is ery tough and slow to grow there.

Jon

o

Jon,
I see weeds growing very well this year, actually need to go with a hoe in there to clear it up. My dry creek is growing grass this year. I do not dare to use Roundup due to hostas around there.
Bernd

o

Jon - I'm very impressed with your landscaping and gardening talents. That bench is to die for. Do you sit on it a lot? Or is it going to be a "hosta bench."

DD

o

Bernd,

I have a lot of weeds as well in other places. I have used Preen previously with good success. I should have not slacked off and used more.

The rocks don't get many weeds at all. I think it's a combination of deep shade and a deep bed of rocks.

Thanks DD, it is definitely a sitting bench. It is a mandatory stop on Shasta's walks. She used to jump up and sit beside me, but now it seems there are far too many places to 'sniffestigate'. I don't get to sit long, but I enjoy it.

Jon

o

Wow Jon this is amazing...I love the progress in your yard and LOVE the bench you made.

o

Thanks HC,

It may not be everyone's favorite taste, but I don't think that there is anyone that would not appreciate the karma of walking down the Ravine early in the morning on a misting foggy morning.

Jon

o

Jon the bench is awesome and your little ravine in paradise is breathtaking. I can just imagine walking to the bench on a misty morning with a hot cup of coffee, just to sit there and look at your ravine of rocks and all your hostas.

michelle

o

I'll have to capture a picture when an opportunity knocks, Michelle.

o

Sweet that would be cool to see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here