Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Mobile AL and Shanghai same latitude ~

User
11 years ago

Taking Ken's advice to check the latitudes of where the hosta come from, I decided to track 30* North latitude around to China. Big surprise, I reach Shanghai, and a few other spots a wee bit south of there.

Shanghai is a little further north, in Lat. 31*North, and we're 30* 45' North, but what....that is about 15 nautical miles difference, so not significant.

And, the altitude in Shanghai is around 15 feet, quite close to what our altitude is, I suppose due to the Yangtze River delta being right there. I had expected to find an elevation difference to make it cooler for hosta, but there might be another factor at work. Perhaps sea winds? Yet we are fairly close to the Gulf of Mexico. Even Houston TX at Latitude 29* North plus a little more, is within the area a little south of Shanghai.

I tried to figure out where the native hosta grow wild in that area, but must do a bit of research to place them on the map. Perhaps Mr. Schmid has some maps with species indicated for China.

Theline for 30* North Latitude passes to the south of Japan, so what I'm looking for would be mostly Chinese hosta, and therefore my beloved plantaginea family.

Anyone with a link to a good map, and some text IN ENGLISH NOT CHINESE, please add it here.

I thought I had a link to a Chinese botanical garden but it had one picture, not any of the plants.

Comments (3)