Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almosthooked

Collecting seeds?

almosthooked zone5
10 years ago

When the flowers on the hosta have been spent and the seed pods forming , what are your favorite to save and the ones to cut off and chuck out?

I see a whole bunch of seedlings quite close to Patriot. I guess I never did a good job weeding or they wouldn't have been there. Also a whole bunch of Brunnera, pulmonaria and ligularia seedlings. I can always find homes for in mine or friends gardens

So tell me what your seed you save or just let grow to move when or if they do germinate by the plants

Thanks, Faye

Comments (28)

• User
    10 years ago

You lucky lady you!
    I have seed pods this year, galore! But none are brown and dry yet, all are green. I hope they do not mildew on the plant. Perhaps I can just sprinkle some of them in the Driveway bed, where they'll root in the ground. Then next year, I'll hope to recognize the hosta seedlings and not pull them up when I weed for all the camphor tree seedlings.

I know Theresa likes the smell of the camphor, but she doesn't have to deal with the trees! OMG, they are about as invasive as a tree can get. Plus, they cannot take the cold, they will die back and leave dead limbs and trash to fall all over things, and the roots are terrible. Sort of like the regular locust tree messy. Hard to deal with all the berries.
    But you have to pull up the seedlings, or you'd have no flower beds at all. Or even POTS, for that matter. I'll ship you some camphor berries if you wish. POUNDS of them.

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moc, you mean there is no market for camphor seed for oil? I like the smell too but no thanks , I have enough mess to clean with our weeping willow and silver popular. If it wasn't for shade, I would kill these too.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i would only save seed from streakers ....

but if you dont have those... at least a yellow plant will give some yellows ...

otherwise.. all you will get is 99.9% green seedlings.. and who needs more of those .. other than for the shear joy of playing with hosta in winter .. under lights ...

so... what do the ones next to patriot look like?? ... all green???

ken

ps: for some reason.. i though patriot was sterile.... but i am not interested enough to look it up .. maybe it was its tetraploid offspring... whatever .... just lost interest.. lol ...

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Powder Blue gives some nice blues and On Stage you get about half yellow seedlings.

Paul

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I'm saving the one seed pod from the seedling of a seedling of Sugar Daddy that didn't get eaten while I was away. I'm hoping to save some Reptillian seeds that I tried to pollinate with PUC; they are not ripe yet. I tried some other crosses as well. This dabbing may not be for me. It's a lot of bending over and fine motor skills. If your doing it right, you keep copious records. Then just wait, wait, wait, and the next thing you know something ate your seeds. Hrumph. My husband is also dabbing with more success than I.

One of my seedlings from last year:

Beverly

• Wendys_garden
    10 years ago

I get lots of blue seedlings from Big Daddy. Here are two I kept:

1-yr old seedling:

5-yr old seedling (the big blue one in the front of photo):

Halcyon is another favorite of mine to get seedlings from:

Another I like is Sky Dancer, you get some nice wavy seedlings from her. I kept this seedling, even though it's a greenie, because the backs are pure white:

Wendy

This post was edited by wendys_garden on Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 10:42

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

I have one Korean Snow seedling,that is streaked,just like the parent,and I always get some interesting seedlings from Cinnamon Sticks,which always blooms in August. Otherwise,it's like Ken says,they are greenies,and mostly plain. Phil

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

I'll save whatever seeds I get from this group.

Steve

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Steve what a bunch of great seedlings you do have. You get into some serious growing. Very nice and yes Ken I think the ones that are close to the Patriot are green but maybe could have came from Blue Angel who is also quite close. Then again maybe the wind blew it in from somewhere else. Was just what I had thought was an interesting "weed" then realized it has the shape of hosta leaves.
    Nice plants Wendy and Beverley, I think it is just a fun thing to see it come from a seed that was strong enough to start itself too. I guess if they start coming up with a few hundred , would have to weed them out or set them in the driveway. Did some of the pod trimming yesterday and it looks a lot better and is kind of like when the lawns are first cut I might leave a few seed pots on some favorites to see if they come up but the rest are gone. Going away this winter to the USA for three months so can't be growing the seeds in the motorhome or DH will think I have gone over the edge for sure.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Collecting all my hosta seeds this year. I left every scape with a pod on it, some from pretty interesting hostas. I'm curious to see what may develop when I sow the seeds this winter.

I don't collect the seeds from anything else, they fall where they may in this wildflower jungle, and if I don't like where they come up, I just pull them out and compost or replant them in a better spot. Tho I am getting kind of tired of replanting hellebores, I'm running out of room!

Sandy

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

when I'm thinking of culling plain green blue and yellow seedlings, I remember Empress Wu, bressingham blue or innovation, and ones like Golden Gate and maui buttercups,

then usually decide it's worth the wait to see what they mature to

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

when I'm thinking of culling plain green blue and yellow seedlings, I remember Empress Wu, bressingham blue or innovation, and ones like Golden Gate and maui buttercups,

then usually decide it's worth the wait to see what they mature to

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

This is one of my favorite seedlings to grow seed from.

Dan

P.S. Faye if you would like some seeds from streaked plants to grow this Winter let me know.

This post was edited by dansgrdn on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 6:28

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Dan that is one multi-gened plant, as in big A, little a, big B, little b- going thru half the alphabet. lol Talk about variability, I can see why its a favorite.

tj

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Dan, that one is a real beauty with all that puckering and streaks, one division deciding to be all blue. I have now some nice 1st and 2nd year streaker seedlings, actually had two blooming and dabbed them with pollen from large blues. When I am very lucky, I might get one like you in xx years. This is certainly a very nice part of our hobby. Bernd

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

dan.. That is very generous of you and I would love some seed but I am not sure how they can be sent across the US/ Canadian border? Possibly could go through in just an envelope and is actually not really a plant. If you are serious , I can send my address. That is absolutely a beauty and has everything going for it streaked, rippled and blue. Thank you
    Faye

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Tj, like most of the stuff in my garden the seedlings are squashed together too, unfortunately. The blue streaker in the middle, I use a lot to introduce variegation. The light blue to the right, pictured below is Sky Dancer x Blue Hawaii. Hope to move things around a bit later in the season to give things a bit more room. Bernd, the seed offer stands for you as well and you too Tj, only used a few streakers this year for crosses so I'll have a ton of OP seed from streakers that I'll give away.

Dan

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Faye, sent you an e-mail

Dan

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Dan, thanks for your offer, you are very generous! I sent you an Email. When others want to see Dan's wonderful hosta creations, see his postings in the Hosta Seed Growers forum.
    Bernd

• trudy_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for sharing your seedlings.

Dan love all the colors your seedling has!

Happy B-Day to you, Dan!

Here is a seedling from 'Midnight at the Oasis' Open Pollenated. Has the garden name of 'Sierra Mr.'
    Growing hosta seedlings over the winter is a fun hobby.

• Dani0025
    10 years ago

This might sound dumb, but I dont ever see seed pods on any of my hostas...most of them are just green or green and white. Sterile maybe? Or am I doing somthing wrong?

• User
    10 years ago

Oh Trudy, that Sierra Mr is some looker!
    I'm making a note about Midnight At The Oasis being fertile and setting viable seeds. Mine is close to Orange Marmalade, and Golden Meadows, Paradise Sunshine, Sagae, and Jaws. So perhaps something exciting will take the form of seeds this year. Even my Golden Meadows is loaded with pods. They haven't dried yet, but they are long and full.

Who knows what the future holds for seedlings....cannot wait to see.

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

Beautiful misty seedling Trudy!

Forgot to mention I really like your Sky Dancer seedling Wendy, love the leaf shape and the white backs are a definite bonus!

Dan

• almosthooked zone5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Dan, got the email and sent my address. You have opened up a whole new world of seed to all of your followers that love your plants. Yes it is like a birthday present to receive them. Aug 25 th for me lol

• trudy_gw
    10 years ago

Mocassin, Midnight at the Oasis only had a few pods two years ago. Last year none. Did try and make a few crosses on the plants. Also the pollen of MatO does work, but not as freely as other pollens. Does give the seedlings nice substance!

Dan's streakers are some of the best around!

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Here's a seedling of Blue Mouse Ears - sown in Jan or Feb 2011 and by summer's end it had 7 strong eyes. Decided I couldn't cull something that wanted to grow that strongly.

Paul

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Dani0025, Do you clean up your hostas after flowering? If you do, you won't see seeds. They form on the scapes if you let them go. I never had seedlings either, because I always remove the scapes after flowering. Now a selectively leave scapes where I want to collect seed.

Steve, Trudy, Dan, Paul, nice seedling pictures. I can speak from experience, shared seeds make a great starting point for growing your own baby hosta. Its fun to start them in winter, I started mine in January. A great hobby for the not-so-green months.

-Beverly

This post was edited by BeverlyMN on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 16:25

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Dani0025 if you have mostly green and white hostas, you may have albo marginatas, and they don't set seed.

Sandy

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus