bragu_DSM 5
9 years ago

Well? Fess up ...

_~

Dave

Comments (25)

• User
    9 years ago

Hosta appreciation. I refuse to think badly of my addiction for hostas. I mean.... my appreciation for hostas. :)

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Hostaholic, because 'holics share and hoarders don't. ;)

• Tim
    9 years ago

If you have pots and pots of unattended hosta plants piled up in every room in every room of your house and in every nook and corner of your property, then you are a hoarder. But if you have the same amount and types of hosta plants neatly panted in an orderly way throughout your yard and gardens, which you properly care for, then you are a hostaholic.

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, alcoholics 'share'? I thought it was a rather singular thing.

I am sure it is a progression, of sorts.

We all start with one, or two, or five. Then we realize how nice they return our appreciation.

Then you become an enthusiast ⦠pretty soon a collector ⦠and the addiction hits full tilt⦠soon there are hundreds of them out there ⦠and the DW or DH starts looking funny at you, perhaps as if there is a craziness about you, another side of you heretofore unseen ⦠screaming for help.

And then, as you lazily sit, sucking down your favorite libation, gazing out at your 'hobby' ⦠you suddenly realize â¦. you want to be cremated and scattered amongst the hostas â¦

Gee, city ordinance will frown on that one ⦠heh heh ⦠mebbe you CAN fight City Hall â¦

_~

dkB

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

I think they're both mental disorders................runs out of the thread...........

DD

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    9 years ago

another side of you heretofore unseen

My DH would say that this is not an "unseen" thing. His comment would be something along these lines--"You don't do anything small, do you?"

Go big or go home :)

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

See it this way, many houses have landscapes which are tended by blow and mow guys, that is a few bushes and trees plus a lot of lawns. Many landscapes have a lot of weeds or bare spots, sick bushes and trees, or perfectly colored dark green lawns, all is not good. I think I can do better by having a varying landscape of conifers (60), trees, rhodos, perennials and 350 hostas, also lawns, few weeds. All is nicely arranged on less than 1/2 acre. My yard is enjoyable, I get compliments. I do not think I am a hostaholic, I am simply a gardener who likes his hobby.
    Bernd

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I really enjoy gardening...have done so since my first house in 1973. Perennials are my joy. Hostas are my joy. I wouldn't say I was a hostaholic or a hoarder (I love to share my plants and make someone happy) but a very enthusiastic gardener with a healthy hobby.

I take pride in my property and my neighbourhood has significantly improved insofar as gardens are concerned. There are a few of us that really make an effort and it's having a positive effect on others. Gifting plants is a great way to encourage others and so rewarding. A wonderful hobby, to be sure.

• Kate1970
    9 years ago

My husband calls me the hosta horder, so there's that.

• User
    9 years ago

Plantingman, there are unattended gardens with plants in the ground too, you know.

I keep my hosta primarily in pots because it is primarily the only way I can assure them a chill in the winter. If I need to move them to a cooler spot, I can do it. As it is, I have one bed experimental of planted hosta along my driveway. One year they've been there, like the crew of the Enterprise in a different world colonizing space. One reason the Master Gardeners here in Mobile say "you can't grow hosta in Mobile" is because they think "planted" and not "potted." I'm trying the potted route, and so far it is working.

But unattended? Not on this forum! hehehehe. All the potheads who come here are super about attending to their plants, mostly potted, and we are all in "difficult" zones.

Bad gardening is bad gardening, be it potted or planted.

• DonnaDelaware
    9 years ago

I know the subject was mean't to be playful, but the word hoarder puts a sour taste in my mouth, and if you ever watched that program om TV you would be appalled. I don't think anyone on this forum is a hoarder - collector - yes, and that's a big difference.

DD

• Tim
    9 years ago

Moccasinlanding, I am glad the pots are working out for you. I wasn't knocking potted plants at all. I was trying to say that a true hoarder generally has a psychological disorder that causes them to heap to themselves a whole bunch of objects or one particular object, (in this case hostas,) and not be able to properly care for them. Hoarding is a serious problem that, if left untreated, could create a lot of health risks.
    I believe that avid gardeners are among the finest and most level-headed people I know. I am continuously affirmed of that every time I visit Garden Web. I have never met a hosta collector who has not taken good care of his/her plants.
    And I totally agree with Josephine that sharing the fruit of your gardening labors is a very rewarding way to encourage others.

• User
    9 years ago

Oh, Bernd, I agree wholeheartedly about the Advil!

I have watched the hoarding shows on tv, as DDonna mentioned earlier. They are horrifying. Definitely it is a psychological problem or illness, as much as depression is an illness.

I waited all my life to do something full throttle, give it everything I've got, without distractions or demands of life responsibilities. It is late in my life, I've worked hard at difficult jobs to make a living, and now is MY TIME. As long as I'm able (and can remember where I put my garden tools) I give myself over to this passion for hosta and for gardening. It fills me with joy. There are others like me on this forum, too, maybe not "potheads" but passionate about their gardens. Hopefully I can continue to do "extreme gardening" for many more years. It is not for everyone, but it keeps me busy and out of trouble.

I know it was a question asked in jest. Hoarding, however, is a subject which is tragic at worst and embarrassing at best to the families who deal with it. In simpler times, hoarding was not the scourge it is now, with our consumer buybuybuy philosophy, and our too large homes to pile things up--and our loss of family closeness and neighborly friendships. Some people fill the void of relationships with trivial and inappropriate alternatives....thus hoarding can take on a health consideration for a whole neighborhood.

Much too serious a topic for me on this fine July Saturday. I think I'll go out to the hosta garden and move some pots around. I promised Funn to take a picture of Goodness Gracious, Luna Moth, and Summer Lovin. Sounds like a good project for a hot day.

• hostacats
    9 years ago

I am a hostaholic in the making. I don't know some of the names I have, tags got lost....but as time goes on I can't wait to get more named ones. In the beginning I had lots of the same thing...actually still do, but that's all I could find around here. Now I found online shopping!!! Oh boy!!
    Love the hostas and I think my yard isn't big enough!!

• originalvermonter
    9 years ago

The first step in getting help I suppose is to admit that you're a hostaholic, but what hostaholic wants help?! So I'm just a perennial enthusiast with a particular and all consuming desire for hostas. See, the only help I need is in finding more and more hostas. I'm OK.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked originalvermonter
  • hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Amen on the Advil.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Advil. You said it, Bernd.

Don B.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked don_in_colorado
  • in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Actually one Advil before you start work outside and one before you go to bed. Weeding and digging holes is hard labor!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Indeed, Bernd. I like how Advil will temporarily make my knee joints feel like they still have some cushion between them.

Neither, I am a 'Giboshi Enthusiast' ; )

Don B.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked don_in_colorado
  • unbiddenn
    9 years ago

I am a plant collector. Obviously still in denial.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

Let me get this right.....Drugs and hostaholics.???. good combination! lol

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Too funny, almosthooked. :-D

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I guess if we live in Washington state it is legal to buy Marijuana now. It is suppose to work for pain too

• User
    9 years ago

Advil as you use it, Bernd, is my preventative medicine program.

What I need to find is something to keep the leg cramps from grabbing me during the night. Owowowowow....that hurts.