Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

It's Raining It's Pouring

User
9 years ago

For the second day, no watering required here!

It is raining, it is pouring. And now I hear
The Delicate Sound of Thunder.
If you are a Pink Floyd fan, you know the sound.

Intermittently the sun comes through in patches on the lawn. Too wet to spread cypress mulch or sculpt the last raised bed or cut the grass or .....any number of things.

Instead, it is a good excuse to read.
The Garden Art of China is beside me here.
When I wind up with HostaForum, I'll go to a cozy spot to listen to it rain, with the album from YouTube playing.
It reminds me of long nights at sea, underway in black darkness with stars above, meteor showers streaking along our pathway, the vessel lifting on the swells in rhythm with the musical movements. I have the concert video of this album performance, I can see it in memory, that haunting saxaphone sound, smoke wafting across the spotlight. Powerful perfomers.

My Dolly girl is doing so fine, got up yesterday with a shine in her eyes again, gobbled down the meds hidden in some bland canned food from the vet did not spit anything out. Then she slept, all seems well.Amazing how she recovered. Now giving her antibiotics is not a struggle.

Hope everyone has a great Saturday. We sure needed the rain. And I needed a break.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Floyd-Delicate Sound of Thunder

Comments (15)

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

I am soooo jealous of your rain. We seldom get rain here in the summer. It is hot and sunny outside and I should go out and mow the lawn but I just don't want to leave the airconditioned house. Maybe later this evening when it gets shadier in the yard.

I am glad to hear the Dolly is doing better! Does the vet know what was wrong with her? I always feel so bad for my dogs when they are obviously not feeling well and they can't tell you what is wrong. My American Eskimo dog is so stubborn...if he thinks I am going to give him medicine, he clenches his jaw so tight I can't get anything in his mouth. My Husky has epilepsy and has to take pills every day. She is so good...all I have to say is "come get your pill" and she will come and take it from my hand and eat it. Too bad they can't all be that cooperative.

Enjoy your rainy day!

Linda :-)

• santamiller
    9 years ago

We are struggling to come out of a 3 year drought in Texas. This year has been much better for most of us in The Lone Star State. Slow but sure. We had 4 inches here in SA on Thursday.

Oh by the wayâ¦.which one's Pink?

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

Last year I had to water 4 times due to the rain we had. This year I have had to water more but not lately. Rain I have it, love it, but wish it was just a night time thing. Seems to rain when I get off work so I cannot get any of my garden work done. Another reason to think harder about retiring.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Santa, Mocc is getting that rain we had a couple of days ago. I think I got about 2 1/2 inches. Some areas around here got as much as 10 inches. (It was only 78 degrees yesterday.) It really helped some of the lakes. Unfortunately, not much help to the North Texas Regional Water district. (Dallas is not in that district.) They are on a complete outdoor watering ban. The crazy thing is they keep adding subdivisions as fast as they can build them and have no plan to build any lakes.

Glad I don't live there. It's really poor planning.

bk

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

So glad your doggie is a-OK, Mocc! Great news ... Enjoy the lovely rain!ð±

• leafwatcher
    9 years ago

I like to sit on the dry end of the porch swing under the tin roof when it rains... sipping some warm coffee with a bit of cocoa in it... Watching the leaves impact with the drops, and the beads pooling and rolling off ...

Sometimes its easy to stay dry and comfortable ...sometimes a cool mist and light drizzle works under the edge and makes you fidget to stay dry... it doesn't work but you try until you are almost wet...and its time to move back inside the house.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree about the tin roof and a rainy day, Leaf.

My Teahouse studio has a metal roof, with one section 20 x 8 of lexan for light. When we redo our house, the new sun porch roof will be metal. I wanted it all metal, but they said the roof configuration was not as secure with a metal all over. What a bummer but as long as I can go to the sunporch and listen while I read, that suits me fine. Otherwise, the studio is out by the hosta garden. I can have the best of both worlds there.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Glad Dolly is doing well, Mocc! We also had a terrific amount of rain over 4 days earlier in the week. Best of all, no hail to speak of. Sure was nice.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!!??

; )

Don B.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

bkâ¦â¦we have a place in East Texas between Dallas and Tyler off of 175. We were there most of this week and got to enjoy the cool temps. Thursday was low 70s and was in the 60s at night. Unreal. That's October weather in Texas! Most of the rain went to our north while we were there and we only had 1/4 inch at our place, but we have had plenty of rain out there through last winter and spring, much more than Dallas had. We had lots of rain here in SA while we were gone but the cool temps didn't get this far south. I'l take the rain over the cool! :)

I knew you guys had been on every other week watering for a long time but you're saying that in some of the areas under North Texas Water District you can't water at all anymore?

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just curious about the "no watering."
    Does that mean with municipal watering?
    Or, does it include private wells too?
    After all, if it is an aquafer water supply, it would all come from the same water supply, just not treated water.

Who out there has a private well for irrigation?
    We have an "irrigation meter" which is cheaper than the household water supply because the gallons we use for irrigation do not return in the sewer system. The charge for the sewer treatment is more than the charge for water.

Mobile is lucky to have within its County the entire lake from which our water supply comes. Of course now they are trying to DEVELOP around it, and thinking of a big highway right through it, but hopefully common sense will prevail there.

When I see how the water supply for the wild birds and small creatures is so important, it draws more of them to my gardn than a food supply does, I know it is a critical element in the future of a metropolitan area as well.

Never take water for granted.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

That's my understanding, Santa. My neighbor is elderly and she thought we were going to have those restrictions. I explained it wasn't us, but the northern suburbs. Dallas is in pretty good shape. We've been building lakes and pipelines since the 50's.

bk

• santamiller
    9 years ago

bkâ¦..looks like Stage 4 is just a possibility later this summer, not a done deal. See link.

moccâ¦.I have never heard of a private well falling under water restriction rules.

Here is a link that might be useful: North Texas Municipal Water District Message

This post was edited by santamiller on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 10:19

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I see you are right, Santa. They can water the lawn once every two weeks. Other than that, you can water from a hand held hose only. The lady who works for me thinks they can't water at all with a sprinkler. She lives outside McKinney. That's where I got my information. She says they are writing $1,000 tickets. That's the problem with people who regularly stretch the facts - you never know when to believe them.

bk

• santamiller
    9 years ago

I have a good friends who live in Garland and Lucas. They are both on the same Stage as the rest of that area, every other week. We are still on weekly watering here in San Antonio but will likely be on every other week here soon. Our water comes from the Edwards Aquifer.

Is Dallas still on once a week?

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I just got a new lawn mower,and weedwhacker,but haven't been able to use them. It never stops raining! Woke up this morning to the sound of more rain. I like rain,but we need some sunshine! Phil