Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any pics of large "Revolution" Hosta?

Posted by leafwatcher zone 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:11

Mine is still slow and small.. I have seen a couple nice ones ..but nothing mature.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any pics of large "Revolution" Hosta?

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 13:04

Do they get large? Serious question.

o

I got my Revolution in 2012 and it's growing well. I agree with Eleven, I don't think they get "large". It's a nice medium sized hosta.

o

Mine is 3 years old, acquired in 2011. It is a good grower and looks fabulous with mauve/pink flowers on white scapes. Measurements from a week or so ago have this clump at 27" w x 15" h.

Pic from July 11th...back sore from yard work otherwise I'd take new pic for you...so far about 3 visible flower scapes...

Love this hosta - tough and good looking! Pip increase from 18 in 2013 to 32 in 2014!

This post was edited by josephines67 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 17:27

o

I guess by large I meant for that plant type..

Thanks for posting some pics ...

o

Quoted dimensions in my book state 42" w x 20" h which is nothing to sneeze at for a medium. Compared to like large and very large hostas, it still holds it's own for a medium. I hope you get a pic of one older and bigger than the pics posted here, Leafwatcher. I would love to see it too!

Mine has always grown in sun until 1:30-2:00....it would very likely be taller and wider but I'm not sure whether it would retain that tight clump shape...hmmm...or whether the speckles would be as prominent.

Now, where o where is that humongous Revolution we're waiting for? :-)

o

I have 4 Revolutions growing in a full shade bed that have been happily growing to the size I envisioned when I planted them 8 years ago. Last year, for whatever reason, all but one of them "super sized" themselves and are now the size of mature Liberty or Krossa Regal. The curving concrete walkway I laid down at the edge of the bed is no longer visible thanks to their suddenly enormous dimensions.

I planted four Dream Weaver and four Revolutions at the front of the bed.

Sorry I don't have pics to share--I can't get close enough to shoot any.

o

I honestly didn't know this plant got this large. The first one I bought was about 10-12 years ago and it's never been bigger than 12" across. It does have a lot more white than the pictures than those posted here. The second one I have looks more like the ones posted here. I bought it because it had a streaked sport growing on it. Maybe it will make it to medium size.

o

I have one that survived the strange winter and spring. It's about 4" across. It's pretty. I'm wondering if it is worth nursing to adulthood.

bk

o

If that beautiful little guy made it through the tough winter, and battled the spring, it gets my vote for the TLC! Yes! Do it! It worked hard for its speckles! Lol

Come on, Bkay, say Yes! It may be small but it is the most perfect little Revolution I've seen!

Jo

o

Well, I have three Revolutions about 8-10 years old and they reached about the size of josephines (nice plant, BTW) and seem to stay there. This is due, in no small part, to the fact I keep yanking out the green sports that are relentless. So, yes, it can get larger, but the sporting is inevitable (in most cases) and keeping the plant from becoming all green keeps mine small-ish.

tj

o

Thanks, Tj! Do you recall how old yours was when it started putting out all green leaves, BAC?

o

Anyone know if the green sport is worth keeping? I have one in a pot right now. I liked the big round leaf.

o

Look up Revolution in Hosta Library, click on the MYHOSTAS.BE link, and see the sports of Revolution.

There are 3 listed g/g sports plus others.

I have Color Revolt, one of the g/g sports, from Don Rawson. It has very heavy substance, and has two tones of green. It needs shade. Depending on the light it gets, you can see the two tones of green in Color Revolt, but mine is so dark it looks almost black or "jet green" as I call it.

Look up pictures of each g/g sport and compare to your sport.

o

north53 -It is to me. I like the dark green leaves.

o

Squire, I LOVE your green one! The intensity of the green, the beautiful shape of the leaf right down to its little point. That is a Wow plant to me!

Jo

o

Hmmm, BKay, I just noticed something.
Your size comparer is a Coke can, not a Dr. Pepper can. I thought in Texas the yardstick was always Dr. Pepper. Even with bourbon. :)

You must have different taste buds, comes from being a chef? :)

o

Thanks, Squirejohn,
It's exactly that big round green leaf with the pointy tip that appealed to me. Thanks for sharing the picture. I hope mine now survives. It doesn't have much time to develop good roots. I had actually tossed it into the compost but had a change of heart the next day and retrieved it.

o

Mocc, Yes, I live in the home of Dr. Pepper. Coke has always outsold them here, though just slightly. I never really cared for it, although many people love it. My late sister drank it like it was water. I remember how surprised I was when I moved to Virginia as a young woman that they didn't sell Dr. Pepper.

Jo, I'm duly impressed with what it looks like when it gets bigger. I'll be nursing that one.

bk

o

Bk ...a little something just for you...taken today. :-)

o

Ooh.

bk

o

Jo- as my mature memory recalls, after my Revolution settled in at 3-4 years they started to sport. My sports are the nice dark green that squirejohn shows.

tj

o

Thanks, Tj! :-). I'll be keeping an eye out next year then...it'll be that time!

o

I never noticed in my picture that one of my Revolutions also has one green leaf and I just got this plant last year. Will check farther to see if it is one section or where the one green leaf is starting to change it's color. I do like your dark green one squirejohn and Moc . I will definitely keep that section too

o

Faye, I did not put up a Revolution photo. I do not have it.
What I have is Color Revolt, and it is a greenie. I got it from Don Rawson in 2012. Here it is this May. I keep it in shade, but there is fairly bright light.

DSCN0063

o

Sorry Barb, If I was not suffering heat stroke from being outdoors I would be able to read lol BUT the one you pictured is very nice. I went back and checked on my revolution and there is some white streaks in the leaf in question so maybe is not ready to turn green yet anyway. Maybe a good thing with all my green hosta seedlings I have already .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here