Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Plant them now because they're Worth it

paul_in_mn
10 years ago

Taking a cue from a recent discussion - What hosta would you advise someone to plant now because it is a slow grower and yet so worth it?

Liberty - started in 2008

and range of color

Paul

Comments (8)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Oh, Wow, that's gorgeous.

bk

• tarheelbelle
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! I must get mine out of the pot and into the ground.

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

Tokumada flavocircinalis and
    tokumada aureonebulosa
    Two of my favourite specimens - fantastic, rich colours and eye-catching corrugation.
    Yet in the pots and in the first year or two in the garden, they show no indication of the colours or corrugation they will develop.
    Beautiful pictures of Liberty. Thanks.

• User
    10 years ago

I'm going to say Manhattan and Niagara Falls. Actually any of Olga's large hosta will only give big rewards if chosen. I am currently enamored by Old Faithful, one of Olga's fragrant efforts. It is a treasure. The bees are loving it, and the latest picture of OF shows a bee buried in the bell shaped 4" white flower with nothing but his back legs and his fuzzy butt showing. I love it when the bees are around the garden. And the toads too, but they don't pollenate anything to my knowledge.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Several of the most mature looking ones in my garden are on the "beware- slow grower!" list but I haven't found them so...I have others than I think are much slower and are of similar ages but much less mature looking. Ones I'm getting annoyed with their slowness are Brother Stephan(sp?) and Blue Ivory, Barbara Ann, and Big Daddy. None of those grow for me.

These have all improved noticeably year after year. These were all moved at least once early in their years in my garden.

Tokudama Flavocircinalis

now

Manhattan, which is described as having glacial growth rate on the hosta library page, I think, has been a good grower. Then:

now:

Thunderbolt then:

now:

I guess Remember Me has been slow, considering it is a small hosta. But it's still worth it. This may be the only hosta that actually got planted and not moved.

now:

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

Paul, your Liberty is outstanding. Mine is still young,

Colleen - Wow!!!

My Liberty on June 27h, I have since planted it in the ground.

{{gwi:1054301}}

My Tokudama Flavocircinalas is coming along but no where near yours yet, Colleen.

{{gwi:1045593}}

Also getting there, Great Expectations

{{gwi:1054303}}

Jade Cascade
    {{gwi:967503}}

I will have to search for the old pics.

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Paula, those look gorgeous! Do you have a fair bit of sun on your hostas? They seem so full and lush. Mine dont get much sun and I find that I get big leaves, but much less of them. And my Liberty will never have those gorgeous cream edges that Paul's does...they stay more yellow....Remember Me doesn't get fully cream in the center either. I bet your Liberty is huge next year, Paula.

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    10 years ago

I planted Liberty where it gets only morning sun, so it remains to be seen.

Toku Flav, morning dappled and not much past 1pm

GE, late afternoon dappled, sun from 6ish to dark.

Jade Cascade straight sun from about 3ish to dark.

I haven't planted Remember Me but I was thinking only dappled morning light to protect it from burning.