Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delawaredonna

Exclusivity

DelawareDonna
10 years ago

It is my belief that the garden forum with its sub forums was created for people to impart their knowledge, photos, and the enjoyment that comes with sharing what we have created.

Yesterday I posted a photo on a thread of a particular flower. A response to me was that thread was created by its "owner" to share her photos "exclusively." She acknowledged that I was new to the forum and we love to share photos, but take this photo and hit the road, lady. My response was that I wouldn't think of treading on the "owner's" flowers again. I will not be posting on that forum again because its difficult for me to discern what is "private" and what is "public."

I'm a new "kid" on the block here in the world of hosta, but you welcomed me with open arms. When a member posts a photo of a particular hosta others jump in with their own photo and a lively discussions ensues. Isn't what this is all about?

Anyway, on a happier note, my garden surrounding my town home is in full bloom and looks gorgeous!

Comments (13)

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

People can be so territorial. Makes you appreciate the hosta forum doesn't it. In the other thread she told you to stay off the grass - here we remove the grass and plant more hostas and invite you to visit.

The only way I see someone owning a thread is that if they start one, they should stay engaged in that thread - responding to comments when appropriate and replying to questions.

Paul

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I also was told by one to stay off her thread but in general everyone on the hosta forum welcomes and appreciates the posting of everyone's pictures and information offered . It is just as easy and makes life more interesting to stay away from negative people and not even acknowledge ones that are territorial. The keep off grass or the no trespassing should never come into the picture on this forum.. We welcome new members and anyone that is territorial should possibly not post on a public forum. Just my 2 cents lol Welcome
    Faye

• coll_123
    10 years ago

How silly....I would certainly not like to be chastised for breaking some sort of unspoken rule either. I could care less if others post their own pics on threads that I start on a public forum. There are plenty of garden blogs one could start if they only wanted to showcase their garden. This is a forum, which to me means interaction, exchange, sharing.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

give us a link ..

i got me a hankerin' to post me some pix ...

ken

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Once you post something on a forum in GardenWeb it is public. PUBLIC.

A person doesn't OWN a thread, they just begin a thread. Things evolve from there.

Private blogs are controlled by the owner of the blog, and that is where I would tell them to go and set up camp.

I was also called a "jerk" by a certain person and when I went back to find that entry, it had been (conveniently) edited. Since then I just don't respond to any of her posts.

-Babka

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

"give us a link ..

i got me a hankerin' to post me some pix ...

ken"

My first response start like that.....then I edited....thanks for posting it.....I'm in.

Paul

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Uh-oh...Ken is on the case! Ken, I'm sure you'll handle it with your usual grace and subtlety. ;-)

Watch out here Donna. This forum draws you in with the fun, friendly members and those mind-blowing photos, but I'm telling you, hostas should be a controlled substance. This place is unabashedly habit forming!

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I'm with the guys on this one... except I'm kind of hankerin' to post some pictures of prime vegetables... maybe even farm animals.

I wouldn't want to say I've messed with some of our friends on the hosta forums or anything... but I do remember a time when somebody was talking about an end-of-the-world "Rapture" situation and what hosta would you take.

I posted these pics... and pointed out that I wouldn't have to choose because I'd still be here getting to raid all the other folks gardens... not to mention driving their cars and wearing their clothes!

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    10 years ago

Lol Ken, you crack me up! I was thinking I wanted to do the same thing.

Donna, was this by chance the picture of the Daylillies? I have a lot of pictures I could post on that forum.

I enjoy looking at everyone's pictures and getting feedback too. Isn't that the whole point of posting on a forum like this? I did see the post that Faye is talking about and right then and there decided that I would never interact with that person. There is no place for rudeness IMHO.

Now I'm off to look at the Daylily forum...

Linda

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Would this sign be appropriate? It was given to me by a friend . On this forum we can post pictures of our pets ,flowers and trees and garden junk plus we still are on the Hosta forum so why not daylilies

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Ah yes, don't tread on newyorkrita's thread, or else....?

As Babka said, these threads are public. PUBLIC!

Cheers,
    Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 3:51

• leafwatcher
    10 years ago

This thread reminds me of one I ran into on another site.. Someone posted a question and I came in and posted a funny little word play that was not offensive or rude. I admit I enjoy a sense of humor in the threads.
    Within minutes I receive an email that has said my post was removed as spam/trolling .. well it was neither.

I go back to the thread and these to guys are posting thank yous about keeping it REAL and on topic on there self absorbed thread, My post was on topic, and they simply felt I was beneath them I guess.

I couldn't help myself, I went right back in and apologized that I hadn't realized that i had posted in a no humor section of the site.

To their credit they did leave that post up...

• idiothe
    10 years ago

because they didn't get it!

But seriously... those are some attractive squash blossoms, no?!