Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
old_lady

peekaboo

old_lady
10 years ago

I don't know where the flower mama is, but the robin mama was just out of frame - encouraging her little one to fly...

Comments (9)

• coll_123
    10 years ago

Aw, how precious. We had a family of Cardinals one year, and I enjoyed watching both parents being so involved with the feeding and teaching of the babies.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Adorable. We had a family of Robin (Mama, three babies) in and around our property a few weeks ago. At the same time, we had a family of Blue Jays(Mama, also three babies) The birds like it in our backyard, for the trees, and because of the hosta, our ground is often moist, and good for pulling up earthworms.

Thanks for the pics.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Oh, and gorgeous hosta too!

Don B.

• User
    10 years ago

What a joy it is to have the feathered creatures come to the garden. The cupped hosta make a good birdbath in a pinch.

For the third year running, a family of Carolina wrens nested in a pig flower pot on the rail of our back deck. We named them the "Pig Family."

For the second year, a family of bluebirds nested in a house on a post in my hosta garden. They all had water, pine straw, and food available in a short distance. I've noticed a decline in the number of slugs and cut worms, so these are really paying their way.

For the last two springs, we had a migrating flock of robins come to a particular camphor tree which was loaded with berries, and for two days they pigged out. They left as quickly as they came, and I look forward to seeing them next year. Maybe your baby and its mama will be among the migrants stopping here next spring as they return to your lovely garden. This guy seemed to be the "watchbird" on guard.

It doesn't take much to create a bird friendly habitat. More people need to do it. It seems to come naturally to gardeners.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Old_lady...Coll took the words right out of my mouth..."precious" and how lucky you are to have captured that...robin looks quite serene knowing you are there and all...

Moccasins...I finally get the chance to congratulate you on your Wildlife Habitat certification..I ran across that thread in the wee hours yesterday...it was about the bluebirds, your friend rushing over with a 'home' just in the nick of time, and them settling in. I loved the pics and story.

It's pictures like these that cause us to pause in our lives to take in the wonder and beauty of nature.

Thanks so much for sharing...there is great beauty in abundance within this forum.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Nice robin chick pic old lady. Rose campion shows up from time to time in my garden as well. Always a surprise, but I usually let it be.

tj

• old_lady
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all the beautiful pictures, I love to watch the birds.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

That's a good reason to be out in the garden every day. I have been watching the gold finch land on and eat seed from my purple sage. The juxtaposition of the bright gold on purple is stunning. I can't seem to get a good picture.

Thanks for sharing.

• User
    10 years ago

Bev, next spring you will find gifts from the goldfinch in the form of sage seedlings growing where the goldfinch pooped them out. Part of the strategy of the sage for survival. The bird's digestive system "scarifies" the seed so it sprouts more readily when the time is right. I know what you mean about the stunning combination of purple and gold....my college colors too....