Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Scary-part 2

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

Some of you remember my "scary" post last week in which I posted a picture of this diseased (possibly HVX infected) plant. I just wanted to give you all an update.

I actually heard back from a rep from the WA state agriculture department this morning. He was very appreciative of the picture and report I sent him regarding sale of diseased plants at BB stores in the area. He's going to be sending an inspector out this week.

I'm very pleased that my concerns were not ignored. I hope that maybe some of you will be encouraged to report suspicious plants to your local Agricultural Departments also.

It's nice to know that this issue is being taken seriously.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 12:23

Comments (10)

• ademink
    10 years ago

that's a screamer...

• User
    10 years ago

That's encouraging news for sure. Good for you!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Thank you for your perseverance.

-Babka

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Nice work, FlowerFrenzy. I am of the firm belief that the more the diseased plants get reported, eventually something will be done against HVX on a larger scale. Eventually, I say again. I won't hold my breath, but positive responses by the 'Plant Police' are very encouraging.

Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I heard back from Tom Wessels (department of agriculture) today. I'm pleased to say that he sent an inspector to the Home Depot yesterday and tested their "Gold Standard" plants for HVX. The bad news is that they all came up positive. The good news is that the plants are being destroyed and the grower is being notified.

It turns out that WA state growers have not been able to supply our stores with hostas due to having to destroy thousands of plants infected with HVX. The stores have been using a large grower in San Diego county as their source. Unfortunately (obviously) this grower has the same problems, but no one caught it before the plants entered the state. Mr. Wessels is now in the process of obtaining a list of all vendors that the grower has sold to in the state of WA. Furthermore, agr. officials in other states where this grower has sold plants will also be notified.

I'm thankful that some of you encouraged me to report the issue. I never dreamed it would be taken so seriously and acted upon so quickly! I'm happy that I've done my part.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 3:13

• User
    10 years ago

Congratulations, Frenzy! You can be proud of the part you took in this. I would think the Ag guy was surprised at the enormity of the bust he made. As far reaching as this appears, it could be a boon to the hosta lovers in your state and other places in the area too. Plus, there could be promotions or good annual reviews for the officials involved in handling it. You done good. :)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

That is so good to hear. Again, great work!

Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I'm so glad it worked for you. Unfortunately, it didn't work in Texas. Texas department of agriculture has no "authority" over HVX infected plants.

bk

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bk-that's a bummer. It's hard to know what to do when nobody higher up seems to want to or be able to anything about the situation. If there's any luck, maybe the same grower that's going to get in trouble for selling diseased plants here in WA sold some in TX as well...then they can get them that way.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

You should be awarded a life-time supply of free hostas (HVX-free hostas) of course. Good work.