Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Anyone growing 'May' and/or 'Fog Light'

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

I was hoping some of you grow either (or both) of these and might be willing to share pics and your experience growing them. The look of a yellow hosta with glaucous bloom intrigues me, but I'd like to learn more. Thanks.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 12:24

Comments (8)

• idiothe
    10 years ago

I grow May in deep shade. No one seeing it - me included - thinks "Oh - that's one of the Halcyon family" It is pretty non-descript.

It does illustrate one of the oddities... the way yellow hostas have a bluish character... and vice versa. Mine is near Blue Canoe which is even more dramatic. Though blue in the spring, for me Blue Canoe is more yellow than blue through most of the season.

I can't remember the explanation... I know it has to do with chlorophyll and the other colored aspects of leaves that combine to give us the range of colors in hostas.

So a lot of "yellow" hostas actually have that kind of bluish bloom, at least for part of the season...

May itself has been a slow grower... not difficult, but slow. I only grow it because it is part of my favorite family... otherwise I'd give its space to something more interesting.

• paul_in_mn
    10 years ago

Here's May from a couple of years ago in late May. I don't have a lot of pics, so as Jim said, "it us pretty non-descript". Bought out of a collector's garden and has been slow to establish. Reminds me of Bright Glow. Diva also has a glaucus look, but would be bigger.

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 15:17

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see...that is pretty non-descript. I like the color, though. It's kind of soft or fuzzy looking.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

Prairie Moon and Ripple Effect both have the bloom.

Here's Prairie Moon from last month; can't find a more recent pic, but it looks much the same:

• Eleven
    10 years ago

And here's Ripple Effect from a couple weeks ago.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the look of 'Ripple Effect'. The wavy leaves give it more personality than the others.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Poor May. You can count me as one who loves this plant. I prefer it to Halcyon. It goes through such interesting color changes in the season. The bright then powdery yellow gradually turns the most eerie turquoise blue color that's hard to capture with the camera. In the fall the margins begin to yellow. It's a full season show for me. I have it in morning sun but in a place I walk by all the time. It gets my vote

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, mctavish, your May looks great. I love the seasonal changes. Unlike most hostas, I think it happens to look the most interesting in October. Thank you for the info and the pics.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 15:26