Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing 'May' and/or 'Fog Light'

Posted by flower-frenzy 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 12:21

I was hoping some of you grow either (or both) of these and might be willing to share pics and your experience growing them. The look of a yellow hosta with glaucous bloom intrigues me, but I'd like to learn more. Thanks.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 12:24

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing 'May' and/or 'Fog Light'

I grow May in deep shade. No one seeing it - me included - thinks "Oh - that's one of the Halcyon family" It is pretty non-descript.

It does illustrate one of the oddities... the way yellow hostas have a bluish character... and vice versa. Mine is near Blue Canoe which is even more dramatic. Though blue in the spring, for me Blue Canoe is more yellow than blue through most of the season.

I can't remember the explanation... I know it has to do with chlorophyll and the other colored aspects of leaves that combine to give us the range of colors in hostas.

So a lot of "yellow" hostas actually have that kind of bluish bloom, at least for part of the season...

May itself has been a slow grower... not difficult, but slow. I only grow it because it is part of my favorite family... otherwise I'd give its space to something more interesting.

o

Here's May from a couple of years ago in late May. I don't have a lot of pics, so as Jim said, "it us pretty non-descript". Bought out of a collector's garden and has been slow to establish. Reminds me of Bright Glow. Diva also has a glaucus look, but would be bigger.

Paul

This post was edited by paul_in_mn on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 15:17

o

I see...that is pretty non-descript. I like the color, though. It's kind of soft or fuzzy looking.

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 14:09

Prairie Moon and Ripple Effect both have the bloom.

Here's Prairie Moon from last month; can't find a more recent pic, but it looks much the same:

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 14:12

And here's Ripple Effect from a couple weeks ago.

o

I like the look of 'Ripple Effect'. The wavy leaves give it more personality than the others.

o

Poor May. You can count me as one who loves this plant. I prefer it to Halcyon. It goes through such interesting color changes in the season. The bright then powdery yellow gradually turns the most eerie turquoise blue color that's hard to capture with the camera. In the fall the margins begin to yellow. It's a full season show for me. I have it in morning sun but in a place I walk by all the time. It gets my vote

May 5-19-13 (205)

MAY6-8~1

May 7-25-12 (88)

o

Wow, mctavish, your May looks great. I love the seasonal changes. Unlike most hostas, I think it happens to look the most interesting in October. Thank you for the info and the pics.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 15:26

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here