Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Titanic

Posted by dirtpig 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 12:31

Is it a norm for it to revert back to Sum and Substance.
Or is it worth digging up and separting in hopes that it won't do
it again and again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Titanic

Mine was notorious for sending up all-gold shoots (just like Sum of All does), so I dug it up and got rid of it. Now I am growing Sum It Up and I'm waiting to see if that one does also.

o

I've must have dug and divided mine five times. If I ever lose it completely, I would never replace it.

o

I have 3 (different sources) that have reverted.

I was going to post this question too.

o

Titanic is just another example of a hosta being rushed to market before adequate garden testing. Profit before quality. I've really slowed down on purchasing new and hot hostas as soon as they hit the market just because of this. Tissue culture has really exacerbated this problem.

o

Looks like this Hosta type is ... going down like the Titanic..

photo sagaesmilersm_zps6a535776.jpg

o

Thanks everyone.

o

Mine has shown hardly any variegation, but it's one of my favourite hostas. The margin - such as it is- appears late in the summer and you have to look close to see that it is there. However, the leaf shape and the size and form make it stand out in the garden. I would not be without it. It is larger than sum and substance and more commanding. Mine does not revert. It's up there in my top ten.

o

I have my h. 'Titanic' since 2009 and only needed once to rip out one yellow eye, so what. My 'Titanic' has some variation in leaves, but not eyes; a lot of variegated hostas have that. Bernd

o

That IS a sweet pic !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here