Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delawaredonna

Best time to rearrange hosta bed?

DelawareDonna
10 years ago

I want to move some of my hostas around for a more pleasant arrangement which would include some mature hostas. When would be the best time to do this - at the end of this season or the beginning of next year? Would this set their growth back, also?

DD

Comments (17)

• coll_123
    10 years ago

I think most don't mind being moved, but some will pout or get set back. Not sure what factors influence that. I've moved every one of mine at some point or another and none have ever been so traumatized that it's been a big deal. Given the choice, I'd rather move them at the end of the season because you can really judge the size and composition when they are fully leafed out. Then they can come up in Spring and be fully acclimated to their new home from the beginning.

I planted a leafed out Tokudama Aureonebulosa this Spring. Boy, did that thing throw a fit....it is sooooo ugly and I have had to look at it all season looking that bad. But I expect next Spring it will emerge and be happy again.

The problem moving stuff late in the season for me is that I am usually out of steam by that point.

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Coll for the great advice. I was kind of thinking along those lines my self, but wasn't quite sure...and I have a nice strapping son who will be doing the hard labor. All I have to do is point my finger.

DD

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

first .. find that post named: how to move a fully leafed out hosta...

ken

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Do you rent out that son? I am good at pointing, but no one pays attention here. ;)

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

My preference is in spring, just as the pips come up. You don't have to deal with the leaves being in your way and if you do it while in pips, they will still leaf out nicely and not 'pout'. It also makes the clump easier to handle.

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I'll use Ken's duct tape idea and see if it will work for me. If not I'll move the large hostas next year and the smaller ones this year. Thanks again for your help.

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

Ken made a massive move, as did my family from Arkansas to N. Illinois. Ours was done in early August with a pickup and a 16' fishing boat packed as full as they could be. Nine hours on the road with no clouds in the sky. No other option. They weren't potted. Roots were in plastic bags. The mature S&S was loosely bagged in clear plastic, not tied, so it didn't bake or get blasted by the 65 mph wind. Just dug up in Arkansas and stomped into freshly dug holes in the ground when they'd gotten to Illinois. Never lost a plant and they all looked good the next spring.

Of course by August the season was almost over anyway.

This probably won't help other than giving encouragement over whatever decisions you make. It says "it can be done, if you have to do it, anytime."

Theresa

• coll_123
    10 years ago

I moved a large leafed out Regal Splendor one year on a hot late July day. It took me hours to wrestle it out of the ground because I was trying not to break the long roots. I didn't use duct tape, I just used painters blue masking tape to bind up the petioles and that worked fine. That plant never missed a beat for the rest of the season. I use a pitchfork instead of a shovel to try to minimize cutting the roots as much as possible.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

I didn't use duct tape, I just used painters blue masking tape

==>> who recommended duct tape??

the whole point is that that tape falls off in a week or two.. and can naturally decompose itself into the soil...

the duct tape will be there for a century .... and it will never release itself ....

ken

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Ken - I was momentarily brain dead. I did mean to say masking tape. I can't imagine working with "duct" tape. HA!

DD

• User
    10 years ago

Donna....NOT DUCT TAPE.
    It is low tack MASKING TAPE. Quite a difference, sugar.

Ah. I see you were informed already.

I'm all for the late season moving too. Then they can go to bed and sleep it off, ready to emerge bright and shiny next spring.

You are such a good gardener, you need to have a larger spot to scratch around in the soil.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if one of your deck flower pots might be one of those POT TREES, consisting of a big post and pots going up it on all sides. ONE pot tree exchanged for ONE POT?

• DelawareDonna
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, its frustrating. Soooo many hosta - soooo little ground in that small island garden. Moc, the pot tree idea, though good, would never fly here.

But there are trade offs living in a retirement community which do bring a smile to my face - When the lawn is mowed, the snow plowed, the bushes trimmed, my gardens weeded and mulched.

DD

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Seems to me McTavish is still moving plants around and pretty much does this from spring to fall. None of her plants ever seem to suffer setback and she also uses Ken's masking tape method for moving the large leafed out ones and back breaking lifts with a dolly or then at least 4 hands. If moving a few at a time it may not seem like such a large job.

• Eleven
    10 years ago

I've moved plants all year also. Spring is definitely the easiest on ME. Summer is okay, the plants are just a little less manageable. Still no real setbacks unless it's just a picky plants. Hot summer can be rough on them; a few i moved during the drought a couple years ago definitely suffered. Too late in the fall and they can be prone to ground heaving; just not enough time for the roots to take hold before temps drop.

Now I try not to move anything when the temps near 100. Too hard on me and them.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

But then as long as it is not in a hot week and not in July/August, as long as you feel good, are up to lifting out and planting large plants and willing to work several hours outside, simply do it when you can.

In my case it will be tomorrow, temp will be less than 80, my worry of HVX on 2 plants was unfounded, they tested NO HVX, so I feel good. I will dig out and divide a large 'Gold Standard' for a society sale, Then I have to plant 2 large ones I bought in April/May, and will check (lifting out completely) 3 hostas which are shrinking. Yes, I will be using masking tape to not destroy leaves, per Ken.
    Bernd

• gogirlterri
    10 years ago

It is so tricky to make generalizations along this line. In my experience there is never a best time to move Tokudama Aureonebulosa. When you plant it in a bad place it will deteriorate and die, and if you try to move it to a better place it will deteriorate and die. Really sad for I love the hosta for it's substance, dimpling, variegation, shape etc. etc.

Otherwise I feel that when you feel the need to move a hosta do it. As ken tells us, we can throw them on the driveway and they will be fine.

Theresa

• newhostaaddict
    10 years ago

my grandma always said the best time to move plants is when the shovel is ready...

I take that to mean anytime "I am ready"...

spring and fall are easier on the plants,,,,but summer works also with a bit of extra "after care"...

jill

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County