Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talynnp

Austin Dickinson residing anywhere?

talynnp
15 years ago

I just saw an awesome Austin Dickinson and would like to know it anyone is growing it. Does it do well? Is it spectacular, or just another hosta kind of blending in the crowd......

Tanya

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

i am sooooo cooonnnnffffuuussseedd by the comment:

OR JUST ANOTHER HOSTA KIND OF BLENDING IN THE CROWD ... yikes...

isnt it fragrant????? one of lachman's poets series .... pretty sure i got this one right .... check the library ....

ken

• talynnp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Now Ken, you know I'm a newby, and I have already shelled out some bucks this year for my new addiction. I did look at the library and read the info, but you guys will tell the real tale; as reported about Emerald Necklace in another thread "Very pebbled and very shiny, but also very thin. Just like hosta Bizarre...nice looking plant, but slug food." I'd rather have the down and dirty before I get down and dirty planting something that ain't gonna knock my socks off.

And I have never smelled a fragrant hosta; is this the one I should start with?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

you should start with plantaginea .... 6 inch.. pure white trumpets, reminiscent of gardenia .... opening at night ... mother of all fragrant hosta ... without HER genes.. there wouldnt be any of the others ....

my comment wasnt about you .. i was mocking myself ....

what idiot in his right mind has that many hosta.. i guess the premise is based on what is RIGHT MIND...

ken

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

I have one,and so far it is just OK. But we are having another drought year,so no way to tell if it's going to be a good one. Phil

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I like it a lot and would replace it if need be. The flowers are sweetly fragrant.

That said, is it a "10 foot rule" hosta? No I wouldn't say that, but it is nice. I split mine last year so it is about the same size it was last year..... THe photo is clickable to enlarge.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

And it does have some of that nice celadon streaking in the leaves that Ken is always going on about ;-)

Alexa

• aka_margo
    15 years ago

Alexa yours is a lot better looking than mine, but I think mine has only been in for two years. It isn't the fastest growing one out there.

• elegans1989
    15 years ago

I planted it in 2003 and love it. Older leaves are pebbled but I wouldn't really call any of them shiny. It is an eyecatcher for me.

• bunnycat
    15 years ago

I'm always looking for fragrant hostas to add to my gardens. This one I like it very much. I like most any hosta with a wide edge, and don't have many with a wide white edge. It brightens the shade garden nicely. (lower right corner)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES