Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do hosta roots grow beyond their leaf canopy?

Posted by irawon Ottawa ON 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 29, 12 at 12:44

I grow my hostas under spruce and pine trees but I haven't used any barriers for tree root encroachment. In the past extra watering seemed to do the trick and my hostas thrived although they grow more slowly and don't get as large. However, with the drought most of us are experiencing the trees have been getting the bulk of my extra water. What I'm contemplating is shovel pruning the tree roots around the circumference of the hosta canopies and I would like to know from those who have moved hostas, do the hosta roots grow beyond the circumference of their leaf canopy? Because if they do then I would be cutting into hosta roots and retarding their growth even more. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do hosta roots grow beyond their leaf canopy?

Hi,

Check out the topic that gesila posted about rescuing Continental Divide. Unfortunately that is probably what your hostas are faced with, and just trimming the tree roots might not help that much. You would be better off lifting, tilling up all the roots, then replanting, though you'd have to repeat that every couple years, or try the spinout bags, containers, or just another location.

About your question, yes, hosta roots, under good conditions, will grow beyond the leaf canopy.

Sorry to hear about the troubles.

Chris

o

Ctopher, I appreciate your thoughtful response. Thank you. Hope we all get some rain soon.

o

Spruce and pine are shallow rooted. Rototilling will kill the trees. I would suggest moving them out away from the roots as best you can or dig them out and use spin out bags.

Jon

o

Chris, as always, is right. Hostas and trees (and ?) may have root diameters greater than the above-ground foliage.

hh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here